Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Nope. Pretty much the only similarity is the use of Ultron and the name... Still though the comic storyline is AMAZING, the movie? Not so much.

Getting ready for Secret War now
    Ugh, AoU was blech. Another Days of Future Past/Age of Apocalypse riff.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Check it out we found the one person on earth who thought that Age of Ultron was a good comic book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Avengers was more coherent and original, AoU had too many things that just weren't top notch, the pacing was bad, there wasn't enough quiet time, it was action and more action, some of the Avengers had pretty unsatisfying or lacking arcs, Ultron got his ass kicked repeatedly, the final battle reminded me too much of the one from the first one, it didn't have too big of an impact on the universe, it wasn't as clever or "deep" as GotG and Winter Soldier got...
    With the final battle, it reminded me of the end of Serenity a bit... but there was also something nice about seeing the classic trope of "heroes faced with endless horde of enemies" end with "and just plain old, flat-out win the fight by killing pretty much all of them" that worked for me. (Yeah, I know, they didn't literally get every single one - but they won the battle through sheer 'killing the other side' lots.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Killing thousands of faceless, nonthreatening enemies is what made the climax of Avengers 1 so boring and lifeless. I'm glad to see it was replicated with Ultron drones.

BUCKY!

lets celebrate with his theme song in anticipation for civil war

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Killing thousands of faceless, nonthreatening enemies is what made the climax of Avengers 1 so boring and lifeless. I'm glad to see it was replicated with Ultron drones.
    Call it unoriginal, but if you think it was boring or lifeless maybe you didn't understand the premise of the plot? It wasn't the same as the first movie. It was a riff on the typical Ghost in the Machine kind of deal and that last scene was them guarding the giant doomsday device which touched would destroy all life on earth. Those are pretty severe stakes.

Additionally, if even one of the robots got away Ultron could have replicated and reinserted himself into the internet. Without Vision's power and them slaying all ultrabots then there would be no resolution. It's quite a far cry from the first movie's setup entirely. It also was supposed to show that it took their whole team, not just Iron Man to save the day.

You're free to dislike it of course, but most criticism I've read echoes yours and implies a potential lack of understanding of the actual premise. *shrug*
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Additionally, if even one of the robots got away Ultron could have replicated and reinserted himself into the internet. Without Vision's power and them slaying all ultrabots then there would be no resolution. It's quite a far cry from the first movie's setup entirely. It also was supposed to show that it took their whole team, not just Iron Man to save the day.
    If I recall in the comics (I know in Earth's Mightiest Heroes it was the case) he doesn't need another of his minion bots to survive. He can always go away into the internet which he did quite a few times in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes and at least once in Avenger's Assembel (Sure both are cartoons, but still :P) So I wonder if he's truly gone. I think it took the Infinity Gems to finally destroy him, but it's been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    If I recall in the comics (I know in Earth's Mightiest Heroes it was the case) he doesn't need another of his minion bots to survive. He can always go away into the internet which he did quite a few times in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes and at least once in Avenger's Assembel (Sure both are cartoons, but still :P) So I wonder if he's truly gone. I think it took the Infinity Gems to finally destroy him, but it's been awhile.
    In the movie, he got cut off from the Internet at one point during the final fight. So I'm thinking he's gone.

Regarding the faceless, nonthreatening enemies (you forgot to mention Iron Man 2), it's something you'll see frequently in the MCU; they want to be "lighter" than something like Nolan's Batman or Neck-Snapping Superman. Does it get a little old? Yeah, probably. But as long as they mix it up somewhat they'll be ok, and I feel like they mixed it up enough in AoU.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was why Vision did his little cyber magic stuff where you saw the cheesy Hackers-esque little data cube digital rollercoaster. He removed him and blocked his ability to escape through the internet. Without Vision (in the movie) Ultron would never be defeated.

Oh and can I just say, regardless of what your opinion of the actual movie was....how FREAKING FANTASTIC was Spader? I was kinda worried after that one clip we heard, but he utterly nailed that role. I love how human and quasi Starkish they let him be. It was such a refreshing take on evil cyborg/robot stuff that I've seen. I can see how everyone was just blown away first day on set when he started doing takes. I probably would have peed myself.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2015-05-12 at 01:48 PM.
    BAD WOLF

I love how human and quasi Starkish they let him be.
    Which is why I'm totally ok with Stark being the creator instead of Pym.

That was why Vision did his little cyber magic stuff where you saw the cheesy Hackers-esque little data cube digital rollercoaster. He removed him and blocked his ability to escape through the internet. Without Vision (in the movie) Ultron would never be defeated.

Oh and can I just say, regardless of what your opinion of the actual movie was....how FREAKING FANTASTIC was Spader? I was kinda worried after that one clip we heard, but he utterly nailed that role. I love how human and quasi Starkish they let him be. It was such a refreshing take on evil cyborg/robot stuff that I've seen. I can see how everyone was just blown away first day on set when he started doing takes. I probably would have peed myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    In the movie, he got cut off from the Internet at one point during the final fight. So I'm thinking he's gone.

Regarding the faceless, nonthreatening enemies (you forgot to mention Iron Man 2), it's something you'll see frequently in the MCU; they want to be "lighter" than something like Nolan's Batman or Neck-Snapping Superman. Does it get a little old? Yeah, probably. But as long as they mix it up somewhat they'll be ok, and I feel like they mixed it up enough in AoU.
    Ok, that must've happened during the couple minutes I had to run to the bathroom. So they took the easy route, which is fine. Just that I remember that he had other means in the other stuff. Though I know at one point when Thanos shows them different visions he would use Ultron as one of them to scare the team and thinking he's alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, that must've happened during the couple minutes I had to run to the bathroom. So they took the easy route, which is fine. Just that I remember that he had other means in the other stuff. Though I know at one point when Thanos shows them different visions he would use Ultron as one of them to scare the team and thinking he's alive.
    Other than the cheesy computer graphics I mentioned, it was a rather awesome moment between Vision and Ultron. And gives you a hint of how crazy his power is. I really like how they played up the whole Jarvis thing as well and I didn't expect his creation to be handled as smoothly on film as it was. It's just awkward enough to make what he is a complete mystery, but just explained enough that you don't need to think about and just roll with it.
    BAD WOLF

Amount of screen time different characters in Avengers: Age of Ultron had (taken from Vulture):

Vision: 8:41 minutes

Thor: 14:18 minutes

Hawkeye: 19:56 minutes

Scarlet Witch: 20:59 minutes

Bruce Banner / Hulk: 23:55

Quicksilver: 26:43 minutes

Black Widow: 33:07 minutes

Iron Man: 45:34 minutes

Captain America: 50:25 minutes

http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/how-m...enger-get.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Thor: 14:18 minutes

Hawkeye: 19:56 minutes
    Thor getting less screen time than Hawkeye is a goddamn crime. I suspect alot of Thor stuff was cut out from the movie tbh.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Amount of screen time different characters in Avengers: Age of Ultron had (taken from Vulture):
    Not directing this at you, as I appreciate the post, but their motivation and summaries are fairly disingenuous and kinda trashy tbh. I understand it's just supposed to be pop culture, 'guess what', but it's kinda crap. I guess they operate under the if you aren't on screen every second you must not have any story. The way they disregard important character development in their summaries is pretty petty.

Uggh. I wish I hadn't read the article. I want that minute back of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Thor getting less screen time than Hawkeye is a goddamn crime. I suspect alot of Thor stuff was cut out from the movie tbh.
    See. Propaganda article that leads to people feeling this way. You know, disregard how each piece sets up future movies, including their most important Avengers story on the way, and let's just analyze our favorite heroes getting shafted!!! Yeah. The media is gross.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    The cave-scene is apparently only a fraction of the original cut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black Widow 3rd most screen time. Checkmate feminists. (I'm joking)

The Thor "spiritual journey" was kinda pointless though, at least in the theatrical cut. It just seemed like an excuse to weaken the Avengers for a while and a very blunt and forced way to tell the avengers that "hey, it's an infinity stone guys!!" I also remember very clearly that during the battle, Ultron takes Thor, and then they're both gone for a while, and I wondered what Ultron did to Thor, but then we suddenly see them again, and nothing had happened, and it's resolved instantly. Made me go "...oh".

The Thor "spiritual journey" was kinda pointless though, at least in the theatrical cut. It just seemed like an excuse to weaken the Avengers for a while and a very blunt and forced way to tell the avengers that "hey, it's an infinity stone guys!!" I also remember very clearly that during the battle, Ultron takes Thor, and then they're both gone for a while, and I wondered what Ultron did to Thor, but then we suddenly see them again, and nothing had happened, and it's resolved instantly. Made me go "...oh".
    Almost an hour was removed from the original cut to the theatrical release.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems pointless to us, but you have to remember the millions of people watching this stuff even with the stones thrown in their face every movie have no idea what is coming. I heard people after the credits scene with Thanos who were like..."what does that even mean? I'm confused". I am so not joking either, that literally happened. Granted not everyone is that dumb, but this is the first intricate comic journey many people have taken. They need the stones spelled out for them otherwise they will not pay millions of dollars to watch IW 1 & 2.

I kinda agree with you on the whole Ultron/Thor scenes...didn't catch the entire premise in the first viewing, but I think it had something to do with Ultron wanting to tackle him because he is a god. Sorta an ego thing, but perhaps there was a more logical reason I didn't catch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Almost an hour was removed from the original cut to the theatrical release.
    Yeah Joss wanted a loooot more movie in there. I really hope they go full ham on the extended edition and give us all of it.
    BAD WOLF