Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    They could do it...
    With ease . Wouldn't even dent their piggy bank

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Who could possibly buy Disney but NOT be shut down by regulators.

I can't imagine they would allow Apple or Amazon to buy Disney.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...al-1235559416/
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Who could possibly buy Disney but NOT be shut down by regulators.

I can't imagine they would allow Apple or Amazon to buy Disney.
    Let's remember they aren't selling ALL of Disney... they're just talking tv network(s).

There's no great regulation problem there, one streaming company selling off to another. Even if it includes Hulu and ESPN. As many articles point out, none of these streaming businesses outside of Netflix (Apple's included) are making a profit, themselves, yet. So I don't think regulators are worried about monopolies in streaming companies yet.

"Apple buying Disney+" just isn't as sensational as implying the entire corporate entity of Disney is selling to Apple. =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Overworked and Underpaid, VFX Workers Vote to Unionize at Marvel

On the heels of more than a year’s worth of damning disclosures around Marvel Studios’ systematic overworking and underpayment of visual-effects workers on its blockbuster movies and streaming series, VFX crews at Marvel have finally petitioned to demand union recognition from the studio. On Monday, a group of more than 50 employees filed a petition for an election to be represented by the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) with the National Labor Relations Board. The workers are asking for the election to be held as early as August 21.

This marks the first time visual-effects professionals have banded together to demand the same rights, wage protections, and professional watchdog oversight enjoyed by workers in almost every other segment of the entertainment industry. The supermajority of Marvel’s 52-member on-set and post-production crew signed authorization cards to indicate they wish to be represented by the powerful labor union representing some 170,000 artisans, technicians, stagehands, and craftspeople across TV, film, and live theater in the United States and Canada.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Disney+ is hiking the price of its 'non-ad' versions of their channel, and Hulu, by another 3 US dollars - making them the most expensive streaming network out there.

I don't know Iger, there are ways to increase revenue - but not sure this is it? =D However, the major "interesting" point from the articles I've read about this is the fact that advertising-streaming is where the money making is at, and that subscriptions to users actually make companies LESS money than the cheaper subs+ads.

*rolls eyes* I'll bet 10 bucks right now, that within the next ten years, we're going to be back to having one or two premium streaming services and ALL the rest are going to bundle themselves into packages in order to be able to stay alive - just like 'basic cable' does now. They'll probably charge more than basic cable now, and give you less channels, but in the end of all this 'upheaval' the Consumer is going to end up with crappier "basic cable" at a higher price. And the revolution of tv will be shit-all nothing.

Because they are rapidly seeing that asking everyone to pay for every single streaming-channel isn't going to work for the profits they want. We're just going to end up with all the lesser companies have to consolidate back together again. Again - just like basic tv cable already does (as well as 'streaming' services like Youtube TV and ad-Hulu without Disney+) There's no new wheel here. And when they figure out they can't wring another penny from the wheel we already have, they'll just put it back into place.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I wonder if we're in the early stages of another "too big to fail".

With D+ Going from 6.99 to over $13 in less than a year, I font see how thats going to increase subs . Families are already stretched thin on the budget.

With the ridiculous streaming prices , it's going to be cheaper to just go back to basic cable . I don't see the MCU quality improving any time soon and who knows what damage the Strikes will do.

Well, I gotta say, the Pitch Meeting for Secret Invasion is out, and it's....as usual, *chef's kiss.*

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Well, I gotta say, the Pitch Meeting for Secret Invasion is out, and it's....as usual, *chef's kiss.*
    Are tattoos part of someone's genetic name up?

Hey shut up.

Samuel L Jackson tounging anything is Tight!

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

The whole super skrull fight is so cringe. Whole thing hinges on the one guy keeping 'fury' in the blast of the super machine.

And now we've created a character with EVERY POWER OF THE AVENGERS AND THEIR ENEMIES. Even if they're item based. Why wasn't there at least like a throwaway line about the machine's effects being temporary or something.

Seems like a case of Elizabeth Olsen not wanting to do more than the other way around, if you believe Feige about wanting to work with her for "the next 100 years." Or maybe she just got too expensive for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    The whole super skrull fight is so cringe. Whole thing hinges on the one guy keeping 'fury' in the blast of the super machine.

And now we've created a character with EVERY POWER OF THE AVENGERS AND THEIR ENEMIES. Even if they're item based. Why wasn't there at least like a throwaway line about the machine's effects being temporary or something.
    Having all the powers is one thing. Having all the power levels is something else.

The final fight could've been a lot more fun. It had its moments but it lasted until they used up the FX budget for the episode. Could've used some more give and take while they experimented with their new found abilities.

7+ Year Old Account
    More likely they just switch a character that its on hold, for the ones with a upcoming show coming up, they are not rly done with her, since she didn't say anything bad on twitter.

That's clickbait. The only factual bit of info in that entire article is that Marvel changed the cover a book. The rest is pure conjecture to create drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Having all the powers is one thing. Having all the power levels is something else.

The final fight could've been a lot more fun. It had its moments but it lasted until they used up the FX budget for the episode. Could've used some more give and take while they experimented with their new found abilities.
    Don't forget, not only did they somehow get all the powers and power levels with the genetic manipulation, they also got all the tatoos, body markings, and clothing/jewelry... somehow.

One way to rectifying it: the more powers you gain, the weaker they are... kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. Still think it's really dumb and would have a ton of issues, and it kinda goes against the show's stated reason that none of the Avengers show up, which it implies that the Skrulls can just copy their abilities using their normal process (which again, the show contradicts with itself and the Captain Marvel movie). However, this show is a prime example of one that you have to actively remind yourself to turn your brain off to get through, and you may risk losing body function control considering the levels at which you would have ot turn off your brain.

Honestly, it's kind of a waste of time positing how to fix the show because there's so much wrong with it that almost nothing makes sense. Either the writers are near brain dead or no one cared at all when it came to the script. Seems like the only point of the show's writing was to tear down Fury into a nobody by not only taking away any ownership of past achievements but creating new events in this show to make him even worse, throw in some racial commentary and on-the-nose allegories that was so cringe and self-owning it was funny, and to waste over $200mil because why not. Buy hey... at least we can get some good memes out of it!

It's kinda sad that there's movies that are decades older than this series who pull off the shapershifter-type or "threat hiding among us" concept waaay better. Show should've just ripped them off and called it a day.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2023-08-17 at 05:10 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Don't forget, not only did they somehow get all the powers and power levels with the genetic manipulation, they also got all the tatoos, body markings, and clothing/jewelry... somehow.
    One, Skrulls shapeshift.

Two, their power level is unknown. They had enough power to hurt each other. That's not the same as having the power to hurt someone else.

One, Skrulls shapeshift.
    To expand on this concept that seems natural when Mystique does it but somehow people can't understand it in Skrulls.

This race is innately morphogenic: they can change shape of form and this includes inanimate objects like glasses, rings , tattoos or even a cellphone. Those objects can phisically be separated from the body and this is a recurrent trick that Mystique use , having the "mcguffin" in the hand when it's actually just a decoy she has created.

Of all the deserved criticism for this show people choose the weirdest of the battles....somehow there's no problem Mystique shapeshift into a guy with glasses but Gi'ah can't turn her arm into Drax's arm and when we add to this fruit salad the "adcquired powers" idea my mind explodes.

Yeah, Rogers got his powers through a serum, yeah, Danvers got it by the space gem, yeah, T'Challa got it through the heart shaped herb.....all those objects modified the DNA of the receptor so I can't really see a problem here. For decades and decades villains has been trying to get Hulk or Rogers blood to create new versions of them and no one has ever said:"Wait no....we need the original serum. It can't work any other way". It works the way the writter want to works. The funny thing is even Mjolnir could have been used without breaking the logic: Gi'ah is using Thor strength and changing her arm to an arm with the hammer.

Really , the hook of the show was "#Whocanyoutrust", well turns out you could trust everyone but Rhodey ( of the relevant characters) so the answer is : "basically everyone" ( extremely lame) but people gets upset about tattoos in a shapeshifter.......

One, Skrulls shapeshift.

Two, their power level is unknown. They had enough power to hurt each other. That's not the same as having the power to hurt someone else.
    Thats still a pretty lame defense. We seem them blowing eachother through walls and other feats. We've seen them tank bullets to the face and heal just fine.

Even if they were only at 50% of the avenger they were copying...the sheer amount of utility they have is rediculus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Thats still a pretty lame defense. We seem them blowing eachother through walls and other feats. We've seen them tank bullets to the face and heal just fine.

Even if they were only at 50% of the avenger they were copying...the sheer amount of utility they have is rediculus.
    So . . . they're Super Skrulls. Just like in the comic. The original Super Skrull, Kl'rt, had the powers of the Fantastic Four, but those powers were canonically 100 times stronger than the Four's, individually.

And Extremis allows for a crazy healing factor. So where's the issue?

And while you didn't say it, I'll echo the above; the Super Skrull thing never required exposure to the same factors that the original superpowered crew did. There was a Mutant Super Skrull who had Colossus', Wolverine's, Cyclops', and Nightcrawler's power sets, and it wasn't because he had the X gene. Super Skrulls are created by boosting their race's innate morphogenetics. They need an example to replicate, but that's it. The original Super Skrull in the comics didn't need to go through the same cosmic storm as the FF. That plus their inherent morphogenetics means they can shapeshift to look like anything, too; Kl'rt did a lot of damage aping one member of the FF or another, complete with power set.

And while I've always said you can't take the comics as canon for the MCU, the comics at least lay down some clear expectations to either intentionally violate (which is fine, to be clear) or fall within. And everything here falls within the broader potential of Super Skrulls overall.
    Last edited by Endus; 2023-08-17 at 03:08 PM.