Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just gonna copy and paste my closed post here...

First, I do need to say people need to stop freaking out over this first off, they act like they're all broke and don't have jobs and live in their parents basements or are 13 years old. $50 IS a fine price for an xpack, and $60 is a very reasonable price for the time you'd spend at even MAX level, let alone the entire length of the game.

The reason they're doing this is to deter multiple accounts. If the game cost $60, aka WoW 1-85 being $20, WoD $40, it'd be the same exact price as the purchasable 90s, which could open up doors to all sorts of third party accounts on top of . People who hate stuff such as botting, Chinese farmers/goldsellers, multiboxing, account selling, etc...SHOULD ALL BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS CHANGE. It'd cost all these people MORE now to get to the points they are now, and will send prices even higher for their services, and could in the long run severely damage their businesses.

Blizzard has really started to take a steep "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to their two games that really include it. In WoW, gold is going to end up likely being only big for cosmetics and older gear via the BMAH. It already is ending up that way. Blizzard is also giving us little NPC followers who can do a nice chunk of professions and even go collect stuff for us and "run dungeons" and stuff like that to give us ACTUAL EQUIPMENT, GOLD AND MATS...really working AGAINST the botting community using similar tactics.

The Diablo 3 side of things went a little sour, and they removed the marketplace as they saw it really hindered their game, since a dungeon crawler is just that and having the market there essentially took out that part of the game for a lot of people, and leaving that market 3rd party was safer for the longevity of the game.

TL;DR - Cheaper price for non-botters/goldfarmers/account sellers to purchase multiple characters

cphantom, you're forgetting the subscription costs.

This is just insanity. Maybe fandom is insanity in itself, but to do that for a multi billion dollar corporation.

Judging by the amount of CE mounts on my server and pre purchases done from people that i know of (7 ex raiders coming back minimum for WoD that haven't played since wrath)......it is definitely safe to say those bitching about WoD's lack of features and inflated cost is the minority. It makes me laugh when i see people calling blizzard a company with no morals, when in fact them waiting to release the game shows they want to release a quality game, not a rushed one.

Movie companies delay movie releases by years sometimes (companies like Paramount, Warner Brothers, Disney and Pixar). Does that mean they are garbage companies and lied to everyone? No, it means they feel they can improve our entertainment experience by taking a little longer to perfect it. People hold blizzard on a pedestal like the have to be flawless in every aspect and then get pissed when they aren't. Seriously, people need some serious medication around MMO. Same haters just a different topic/aspect to whine about.

No content for a year. I will be buying wildstar (59.99) and elder scrolls (59.99). I refuse to pay 14.99 a month for an unsupported game. I could go six months without logging into WOW and nothing changes, literally nothing. No new features nothing. Even their holiday events are stale boring and irrelevant. I go six months without logging into rift or gw2 and I am completely lost as to what is going on. I have to research what is new and what I have to do to catch up. Those games are free to play

I am done with blizzard. Ridiculous to charge 14.99 a month for a expansion that stopped developing content half way through.

Considering the sub price has remained the same for 10 years I don't have a problem with them charging an extra 10 bucks for an expansion that also includes a level 90. The extra 10 bucks is by far easier to get then the time it takes to get to level 90.

Quote Originally Posted by pallyopness View Post
    Judging by the amount of CE mounts on my server and pre purchases done from people that i know of (7 ex raiders coming back minimum for WoD that haven't played since wrath)......it is definitely safe to say those bitching about WoD's lack of features and inflated cost is the minority. It makes me laugh when i see people calling blizzard a company with no morals, when in fact them waiting to release the game shows they want to release a quality game, not a rushed one.

Movie companies delay movie releases by years sometimes (companies like Paramount, Warner Brothers, Disney and Pixar). Does that mean they are garbage companies and lied to everyone? No, it means they feel they can improve our entertainment experience by taking a little longer to perfect it. People hold blizzard on a pedestal like the have to be flawless in every aspect and then get pissed when they aren't. Seriously, people need some serious medication around MMO. Same haters just a different topic/aspect to whine about.
    I don't suppose any of those movie companies charge their existing customers $15 per month to watch the same movie until they release a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I don't suppose any of those movie companies charge their existing customers $15 per month to watch the same movie until they release a new one?
    no one is forcing you too either....stop playing until WoD. Easy fix. They aren't robbing you of money. If you don't want to pay and play, then don't, it is really that easy. The aren't making you do anything. You have a choice.

If suddenly my favorite restaurant fires their chef and their food starts to taste bland, I stop going there. I don't continue going there just because it used to be my favorite. I find a new place to enjoy.

no one is forcing you too either....stop playing until WoD. Easy fix. They aren't robbing you of money. If you don't want to pay and play, then don't, it is really that easy. The aren't making you do anything. You have a choice.

If suddenly my favorite restaurant fires their chef and their food starts to taste bland, I stop going there. I don't continue going there just because it used to be my favorite. I find a new place to enjoy.
    Please stop talking nonsense. You will go there and sit in you favorite booth and then complain about it on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Also isn't that exactly what netflix does? they charge you monthly fees to watch OLD MOVIES until new ones come out? How many paying subscribers do they have? For the same exact movies with very little changing if anything from month to month.

Alright, calm down, why are you getting so defensive? I did not say that Blizzard or anyone forces people to pay for their product.

- - - Updated - - -

Also isn't that exactly what netflix does? they charge you monthly fees to watch OLD MOVIES until new ones come out? How many paying subscribers do they have? For the same exact movies with very little changing if anything from month to month.
    So Netflix only a few movies now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    does nobody ever consider that the price went up due to years of inflation?

a £40 expansion in 2003 would be priced at £53.57 in todays prices according to http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...nged-1900.html

i dont see why people are so upset about it - you should be more upset about house prices
    america is a place. It also has more people than the UK. It also doesnt have heavy taxes on goods like the UK. get learned

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cphantom View Post
    Just gonna copy and paste my closed post here...

First, I do need to say people need to stop freaking out over this first off, they act like they're all broke and don't have jobs and live in their parents basements or are 13 years old. $50 IS a fine price for an xpack, and $60 is a very reasonable price for the time you'd spend at even MAX level, let alone the entire length of the game.

The reason they're doing this is to deter multiple accounts. If the game cost $60, aka WoW 1-85 being $20, WoD $40, it'd be the same exact price as the purchasable 90s, which could open up doors to all sorts of third party accounts on top of . People who hate stuff such as botting, Chinese farmers/goldsellers, multiboxing, account selling, etc...SHOULD ALL BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS CHANGE. It'd cost all these people MORE now to get to the points they are now, and will send prices even higher for their services, and could in the long run severely damage their businesses.

Blizzard has really started to take a steep "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to their two games that really include it. In WoW, gold is going to end up likely being only big for cosmetics and older gear via the BMAH. It already is ending up that way. Blizzard is also giving us little NPC followers who can do a nice chunk of professions and even go collect stuff for us and "run dungeons" and stuff like that to give us ACTUAL EQUIPMENT, GOLD AND MATS...really working AGAINST the botting community using similar tactics.

The Diablo 3 side of things went a little sour, and they removed the marketplace as they saw it really hindered their game, since a dungeon crawler is just that and having the market there essentially took out that part of the game for a lot of people, and leaving that market 3rd party was safer for the longevity of the game.

TL;DR - Cheaper price for non-botters/goldfarmers/account sellers to purchase multiple characters
    uhhh what? this is a multiplayer game, who gives a fuck about bots? I dont
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to directly compare time and money spent for video games to decide if I feel it was worth the money. If I buy a 60$ game, I want to get at least 60 hours out of it. Lets do some math!

I play roughly 2 hours a day, give or take, so lets just round down to 50 hours a month to prove my point even further.

180$ a year for sub cost, so 230$ total for a whole year of wow. At roughly 600 hours of play time over a year, I'm paying ~.38$ an hour for wow. That's pretty damn good, i'm easily getting much more then my moneys worth in time spent even with the price raise, and for those of you who play more then me (which i'm sure is a lot of people) it's even less.

Seriously guys, it's 10$. Video games 15 years ago were only 20$, and now they're 60$, WoW is 10 years old, releasing it's 5th expansion, and they're only just now increasing the price, by a measly 10$. Not to mention, you can speculate all you want on why they increased it (most seem to blame the character boost, I think otherwise, Blizz is smarter than that), that's all it is, speculation.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2014-03-12 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I like to directly compare time and money spent for video games to decide if I feel it was worth the money. If I buy a 60$ game, I want to get at least 60 hours out of it. Lets do some math!

I play roughly 2 hours a day, give or take, so lets just round down to 50 hours a month to prove my point even further.

180$ a year for sub cost, so 230$ total for a whole year of wow. At roughly 600 hours of play time over a year, I'm paying ~.38$ an hour for wow. That's pretty damn good, i'm easily getting much more then my moneys worth in time spent even with the price raise, and for those of you who play more then me (which i'm sure is a lot of people) it's even less.

Seriously guys, it's 10$. Video games 15 years ago were only 20$, and now they're 60$, WoW is 10 years old, releasing it's 5th expansion, and they're only just now increasing the price, by a measly 10$. Not to mention, you can speculate all you want on why they increased it (most seem to blame the character boost, I think otherwise, Blizz is smarter than that), that's all it is, speculation.
    They won't like your logic!!! Things like that aren't taken into consideration around here.....Math? who does that?

10+ Year Old Account

uhh, nuff said to refute every inch of your point
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Seriously guys, it's 10$. Video games 15 years ago were only 20$, and now they're 60$, WoW is 10 years old, on it's 5th expansion
    Hold on there commander. You are looking at it from the point of being an old player. You have invested in the set up already.
    What is the total cost of the game for a new player?
    WOW: 20
    MOP: 20
    WOD: 50
    SUB: 15
    So the GAME costs 105 in your first 2 months of play as a new player.
    Heh WOD actually costs a bit more then all of WOW new atm to play.. funny, eh?
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2014-03-12 at 03:56 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrecia View Post
    I find it alot more understandable on D3... Since they force us to be connected to battlenet they also get more fixed costs with holding the servers... Still, they shouldnt need that extra revenue from every single player.
    "You'll pay for our DRM and you will like it !"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Hold on there commander. You are looking at it from the point of being an old player. You have invested in the set up already.
    What is the total cost of the game for a new player?
    WOW: 20
    MOP: 20
    WOD: 50
    SUB: 15
    So the GAME costs 105 in your first 2 months of play as a new player.
    Heh WOD actually costs a bit more then all of WOW new atm.. funny, eh?
    This is all the proof we need that blizzard doesnt give a shit about new players. This was all an attempt to cash out on those remaining. and use us as test subjects on how to make titan

"Hey new player, you just paid 40 dollars to buy WOD, here's a 90 to skip what you just payed 40 dollars for." Lol

WOD appears to have less than previous xpacs yet is more expensive. That's all there is to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    WOD appears to have less than previous xpacs yet is more expensive. That's all there is to it.
    Free* 90

*90 not actually free, included in price of admission