Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by critterkiller View Post
    Its funny when you chase a healer as a melee and he just runs around and around forever because has movement increases like say body and sould etc and you have no way of catching him... and this is when he is the last one alive in a 3v3....
    Clearly you lack skill, has nothing to do with the pillar making him uncatchable.

No, pillars are an avenue towards skillful play. Use of positioning is a pretty major part of playing PvP well. I love how you say that overgeared players can still kill more skilled opponents, despite the pillars, because they root/stun them. So you are admitting there is a way to counter pillar-humping. Rooting/stunning is not gear dependent at all, so everyone can do it to counter pillar-humping. The reason there isn't massive pillar humping in high-end games is because of this, its easily counterable. You just have to know what your own class is capable of, as well as their class.

And they tried to remove pillars once before with just one map... it was NOT a pretty sight. It was nigh impossible to beat teams that simply out-geared or out-comped you in the original Ring of Valor. Skill had very little to do with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

I would say go another route. I always hated the arena system both its setup and its implementations.

I would say make the Arenas bigger, make the stages closer to something the size of Arathi Basin or maybe even Alterac Valley and let the players start at opposite ends of it and actually have to hunt each other down.

It would have varied terrains from open fields, to wooded areas, to little caves and buildings and plenty of places for people to play to their liking. It would allow Hunters to properly be played instead of shoved into a tiny box and give stealth classes the proper ability to setup and stalk their victims and so on.

After a while without contact the map should show what zone they were in in an arena to help find them, but not exact locations and only after at least 2 minutes without contact for proper extended hit and run tactics and such. Ranged classes could try to sit and wait in the middle of the plains with no obstructions for there opponents to come to them while the melee could try to draw them into the woods where they can LoS them and other such things. Bring much more varied and thought out tactics and mind games to it and less twitch reflex.

That would be a good place to quote the post suggesting making pvp battles like pet battles I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Lets be honest here, pillars in arena are annoying, all it does is give healers a even bigger advantage and druids just run around them healing all day long which to be honest should be stopped.

Removing them would just prove who is more skilled imo.

Thoughts?
    This has to be the worst reasoning for removing pillars yet. Druids run around and healers have a huge advantage what? do you even do arena? A healer should be on both teams and if they both have an advantage who cares it cancels out.

If you are a triple DPS and bitching that the other team has an advantage because of having a healer then you are just doing it wrong. Blizzard intends healers to be worthwhile, sorry you cant just win all the time with mongoloid triple dps like you seemingly want.

Or perhaps you are a double dps 2s player.. in which case, sorry, arena is balanced for 3s, deal with it, that is not changing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I think they should be removed. It may be a tactic to play ring around the rosie with a pillar but the point of arena is to see who straight up is the better player(sort of, now it seems to just be a way of capping conquest). Besides there are only few classes that actually benefit from playing keep away.

Quote Originally Posted by Thessik-Irontail View Post
    This has to be the worst reasoning for removing pillars yet. Druids run around and healers have a huge advantage what? do you even do arena? A healer should be on both teams and if they both have an advantage who cares it cancels out.

If you are a triple DPS and bitching that the other team has an advantage because of having a healer then you are just doing it wrong. Blizzard intends healers to be worthwhile, sorry you cant just win all the time with mongoloid triple dps like you seemingly want.

Or perhaps you are a double dps 2s player.. in which case, sorry, arena is balanced for 3s, deal with it, that is not changing.
    Sorry to butt in, but I have never seen this game ever balanced in either 2s,3s, or 5s. EVER. It is still a case of class and comp over skill.

My personal feelings that keep me from playing much now is actually because how they turned healers into god mode. I tried in Cata and I didn't even feel like a player anymore, I felt like a healers pet. It was 15 minute matches of trying to OOM the other guys healer first as you weren't going to kill anything so long as they had mana. Healers shouldn't die easy to a single player, but they should still be able to die to them and be a fairly tough fight for both of them. Not a laughable encounter.

Edit: Unless they made Healers actually killable in 1v1 against equally geared and skilled opponents.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2014-03-13 at 05:32 AM.

Should have done a poll. Probably 90%+ for No.

Also, No.

Deleted
    OP is outright wrong.

Removig pillars would be stupid as hell.

I bet he plays a DK

Pillars NEED to stay, they are one of the things that seperates bad players from good players.

And they should not make them smaller, if they get smaller every melee would have a 100% uptime on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Sorry to butt in, but I have never seen this game ever balanced in either 2s,3s, or 5s. EVER. It is still a case of class and comp over skill.

My personal feelings that keep me from playing much now is actually because how they turned healers into god mode. I tried in Cata and I didn't even feel like a player anymore, I felt like a healers pet. It was 15 minute matches of trying to OOM the other guys healer first as you weren't going to kill anything so long as they had mana. Healers shouldn't die easy to a single player, but they should still be able to die to them and be a fairly tough fight for both of them. Not a laughable encounter.

Edit: Unless they made Healers actually killable in 1v1 against equally geared and skilled opponents.
    Did u play cata? All you need was a good cc chain to kill a healer. You didn't need to oom them.

Deleted
    I hope this is a troll right?

"Removing them would just prove who is more skilled imo."

You what? It would just mean comps like KFC and TSG would require even less co-ordination. The game would literally consist of whoever gets the first kick and does the most damage in the shortest time wins. Stupid suggestion.

Positioning is a huge part of PvP; its probably one of. if not, the only aspect, in WoW PvP(really most PvP games) where player skill truly shines since it makes the difference between shit players and good players regardless of what class they play.

Pillars are one of the elements in arena which allows players to take advantage of positioning so removing them from the game is a fucking stupid idea. At that point the game is just a scripted dance; you'd be able to read off every encounter with a combat log because it would just be taking turns flinging shit at each other.

Deleted
    Removing them would just prove who is more skilled imo
    Its exactly the opposite actually, knowing how to use pillar effectively and managing you positioning is what proves "who is more skilled"

The fact that you suggest such change shows that you have missed the basic concept of PVP and what separates it from PVE

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer if pillars were not circles but a blocks wich are much bigger in size. Kinda like this:

Deleted
    Pillar humping is the reason i avoid arenas. RBGS show that you can have skillfull play without pillars.

As for the druid comment, I think the pillars aren't so much the problem as the druid's toolkit. It's being addressed in WoD.

Sure pillars can be annoying, but otherwise you would only see ranged classes in the top 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    As for the druid comment, I think the pillars aren't so much the problem as the druid's toolkit. It's being addressed in WoD.

Sure pillars can be annoying, but otherwise you would only see ranged classes in the top 30%.
    This druid don't need a displacer's beast and rogues don't need burst of speed.

Yeah, sounds super fun to play arena without pillars as melee... Removing them solves one "problem" and creates another one. It's worked fine so far, no need to change it imo.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is probably the most non sense thread here in a long, long time.

Remove pillars and run in circles.. how is that skilled at all but cookie cutter friendly?

Learn to stop the healers just as every SKILLED team has to.