Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I am confused about WoD story, tell me what I'm missing.

I haven't dove deep into WoD info yet, but so far what I gather is this. Garrosh escaped into the past, and wants to band the orcs together so they don't drink the blood and go bonkers and plunge themselves into their own demise. But it's been said this is a different past? Basically everything we are going to do in the next expac doesn't really matter because it won't effect our timeline? Then what is the point of it?

If we are stopping Garrosh, so our timeline doesn't change, I heard a certain character, I won't name names because of spoilers, but if you know, you know. He dies, and still it supposedly doesn't effect our timeline's version of him, so then what is the point of going back there? Is it just a parallel dimension? And if it is, what's the point of messing with something that doesn't concern us.

Obviously I am missing a ton of info, so if you guys could correct my ignorant self, and explain what is known so far, that would be great, because right now it seems really confusing, but looks really purdy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Garrosh is going to use some sort of old magic to open a dark portal in that timeline, to make a direct connection to our dark portal in our timeline. Meaning the threat he is creating in an alternate universe, is a direct threat to us, not that universe.

Apparently Garrosh can go to this alternate universe and stir things up, and we can follow him and bust him in the mouth...and his alternate universe self. But despite being able to do all this crazy stuff with reality jumping, we can blow up/stop the threat of them coming into our reality and messing with things.

And since I'm really still bitter about Blizzard's choice in this storyline, I might add that its perfect because there are an infinite number of these realities out there...all slightly different, all those realities could visit our Azeroth and screw with our reality....or our past reality. Its just a little timewimey thing I guess.

edit: not alternate dimension...alternate universe.

The WoD story in a nutshell: Blizzard fucked up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    Is it just a parallel dimension? And if it is, what's the point of messing with something that doesn't concern us..
    its only parallel if we stop him. he wants to bring them to our current world and take it over with plan b. since plan a failed in MoP and SoO.

obviously for the sake of the story, we will stop him. but pretend for a moment we failed. then we would lose everything. and thats why we need to stop him in his alternate universe first.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2014-03-13 at 01:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think this might be a good time to suggest that we all, as brothers, sit down together and watch some Dr. Who.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

This is a pretty decent visual:

My understanding of what happens is this:

Garrosh escapes and goes back in time. He changes an event in the past, and instead of changing our timeline and our past/present/future, it creates an alternate timeline that is a reality separate from our own. I'm assuming that he is able to do this with the assistance of a certain Bronze dragon.

He then connects this new timeline with ours, in an attempt to send the Iron Horde into our timeline to destroy us. Letting things come into our timeline from the Draenor timeline will affect us, because those things will enter into our present. This is why we go to Draenor to stop this from happening.

If a character from our timeline (so, let's say, Velen) were to go through from our timeline to Draenor, and were to die, they would be dead in our present, because our currently existing version of them dies. It wouldn't affect our past. However, if the same person also existed in the alternate Draenor (again, Velen), and that version were to die ([I]Draenor[/I] Velen is the one who dies, our version would be fine.

However, to reiterate, the point of us going to Draenor (so we've been told), is because now that the timelines are connected, stuff from Draenor is trying to come through into our present to fuck up our day, so we're being sent to stop them from coming through and harming us and our Azeroth.

The story is, Garrosh goes back in time and the entire WoW story collapses in upon itself and no longer matters at all. Blizzard proceeds to immediately kill off major lore characters because they suck at write compelling stories for them and are tired of people complaining about how crappy and one-sided WoW's lore is for several races.

Kil'jaeden learns of the time travel stuff and sends demons back in time to create new armies of orcs, murlocs, hozen, set the Lich King straight, resurrect Deathwing and whatever else one by one, hence the next 10+ expansions. We eventually win when he runs out of financing and is forced to attack Azeroth directly in a brand new game.

Infracted. Don't troll
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-03-13 at 01:30 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't dove deep into WoD info yet, but so far what I gather is this. Garrosh escaped into the past, and wants to band the orcs together so they don't drink the blood and go bonkers and plunge themselves into their own demise. But it's been said this is a different past? Basically everything we are going to do in the next expac doesn't really matter because it won't effect our timeline? Then what is the point of it?

If we are stopping Garrosh, so our timeline doesn't change, I heard a certain character, I won't name names because of spoilers, but if you know, you know. He dies, and still it supposedly doesn't effect our timeline's version of him, so then what is the point of going back there? Is it just a parallel dimension? And if it is, what's the point of messing with something that doesn't concern us.

Obviously I am missing a ton of info, so if you guys could correct my ignorant self, and explain what is known so far, that would be great, because right now it seems really confusing, but looks really purdy.
    Quite literally THE ONLY REASON why we are doing this is the following:

Blizzard wanted to bring major Warcraft characters like Gul'dan into WoW without having them be resurrected.

That is the only reason.

You can try to rationalize it or defend Blizzard until you're blue in the face, but at the end of the day the story is just an excuse to say "Hey, look its Blackhand! And, oh my goodness, its Durotan! God these guys are badasses!"

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/08/bliz...wow-expansion/

^
    The above article is Chris Metzen trying to make it sound like a great idea by saying most WoW players have no idea who these classic characters are, so its a smart decision to tread the same water instead of doing something new (like going to the Burning Legion-controlled Draenei homeworld of Argus). He did not succeed.
    Last edited by Kilperch; 2014-03-13 at 01:40 AM.

Deleted
    WoD = Time Travel as a Device to create an Alternate Universe that gets connected to our Universe so we can go slay Orcs who died in the RTS era.

Ok, so I think I get it now, basically Garrosh is in a parallel universe, but if he succeeds in his plan it wont be parallel and it will effect us. So we are going back to stop him so it doesn't effect us at all, and anyone that dies in that universe will not effect the beings in ours. That makes a lot more sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so I think I get it now, basically Garrosh is in a parallel universe, but if he succeeds in his plan it wont be parallel and it will effect us. So we are going back to stop him so it doesn't effect us at all, and anyone that dies in that universe will not effect the beings in ours. That makes a lot more sense.
    It's still a parallel universe. They're just jumping through the Dark Portal to reach our universe in the present. Then we go back through the same portal to counter-murderize them. Things will still affect our universe as they pass through the portal, but nothing will affect our past history.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    I think this might be a good time to suggest that we all, as brothers, sit down together and watch some Dr. Who.
    I am not liking all of this paradox-ing. Neither would the doctor. LOL. This is going to be a shit expansion.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-07-06 at 11:37 PM.
    Horde always.

Quote Originally Posted by cwowtbang View Post
    I am not liking all of this paradox-ing. Neither would the doctor. LOL. This is going to be a shit expansion.
    If you think this is a paradox, and you get your time travel rules from Doctor Who, I can understand why you would be baffled by this expansion. Stuff is childishly easy to grasp, though. Daetur above explained it just fine.

Remember, their (multi/)universe doesn't have to abide by the rules of any time travel show, movie or book you've ever encountered.

By going into the past, Garrosh, Wrathion, and Kairoz have created a new Timeway (Aka, alternate universe) of Draenor.

We are pursuing Garrosh because he has built an unstoppable Iron Horde with our modern day technology and he's seeking vengence. He must be stopped, or otherwise we are facing a scenario similar to that of the First War.

In other words, if we don't go to Draenor and stop him, they will come over and wipe us out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingBreezes View Post
    If you think this is a paradox, and you get your time travel rules from Doctor Who, I can understand why you would be baffled by this expansion. Stuff is childishly easy to grasp, though. Daetur above explained it just fine.

Remember, their (multi/)universe doesn't have to abide by the rules of any time travel show, movie or book you've ever encountered.
    This. It's not a paradox; all that has happened is simply a new timeway of Draenor has been opened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    By going into the past, Garrosh, Wrathion, and Kairoz have created a new Timeway (Aka, alternate universe) of Draenor.
    Kosak implied that the alternate universe was different even before Garrosh interfered.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Kosak implied that the alternate universe was different even before Garrosh interfered.
    Possibly meaning that Wrathion and Kairoz were at work in the past with the Infinite Dragonflight even before Garrosh's escape to the past.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Possibly meaning that Wrathion and Kairoz were at work in the past with the Infinite Dragonflight even before Garrosh's escape to the past.
    I think they'r changing some small things (like: NPC X is not really here, there's less giant mushrooms on Y place) just to build a better storyline for the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Chris Metzen needed one more expansion to shit out before the Sargeras expansion. Why not put on a pair of rose tinted glasses and bring back every orc chieftan that ever lived, in such a way as to completely destroy the credibility of the lore and character development as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

If you think Sargeras is going to be in the next expansion...well, I don't know what to think.