Poll: Psionics and Bards

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Psionic and Bard Classes - Would you like to see these?

I thought these might be cool Character Classes in World Of Warcraft.

I remember when Psionics were added to D&D and I was so excited when I got the Psionic's Handbook.

I think it adds an interesting flavor to the mix.

I think Bards could potentially be something really cool. Imagine if their weapons were varied? Different instruments had different graphical flares/properties when used. Maybe each spec uses a different set of instruments or songs. I thought it'd be cool if the Bard's music tied into whatever music was playing in the area you're in. It would be like another layer.

What do you all think about those options?

I would love a psionic class. Kind of Old God territory, but hell, we have Warlocks right?

IBF Shadow Priests qq

Bards would be super awesome

And Psionics... I suppose priests have "mind" themed spells, but they could just rename them like the Warlock's old Death Coil Mind blast doesn't feel very Psi anyway, only Mind Control does

nah.
    Neither are handled in the classic Table Top version amazingly, which means they would translate horrible to an MMO too.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bards are cool but don't belong in WoW.

The only class that is truly missing from WoW is Necromancer. Pure Necromancer. Diablo 2 and Guild Wars 1, if you need references.
    All others can be added as "Hero-specs" of existing ones, even Demon Hunter.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really a fan of either of those to themes, but if i had to choose i guess Psionic could be cool

Psionic does remind me somewhat of the Mesmer class from Guild Ward 2 though which I'd love to get (with more focus on melee to differentiate from mages) , it's a really unique theme that i haven't really seen anywhere else.

edit: And i agree with Necromancer, although it would probably just feel like the Unholy Death Knight specc with permanent army of the dead and more focus on diseases
    Last edited by Revi; 2014-03-14 at 03:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The psionic theme is partially filled by a lot of classes, but it could be fun to see how it would work out in wow.

Bards are typically a buff class, and I'd be turned off seeing a pure support again like in BC/Vanilla. But it could work too with a revamp.

Not sure the psionic theme fits, really.

Would love to see a bard, but it's hard to work a bard as anything but support, and Blizzard/the WoW community doesn't like the idea of a support role so that's not going to happen.

Still, voted for bard :-P

(Side note: Love psionics in D&D, but they were grossly overpowered in 2nd ed :-P)

I voted Bard. But I'd really like to see a caster as a new class, since the previous new ones have been melee focused. Maybe a blend of the two, like a Battle Mage or Mage Knight. Officially in Warcraft terms I think a Demon Hunter would fit that bill nicely. And just like how DK's got cool eyes and skin tones, the Demon Hunters could get awesome Illidan tattoos and imitation versions of the Blades of Azzinoth like his followers, if they base it off of his brand of demon hunting.

I like Futhark's idea about the Old Gods. An Old God allied caster would be something really new, like the more powerful you become, the more mutations you get, and depending on the skill tree, sometimes you sprout more eyes or more tentacles. If you went the tentacle rout you could slap people across the battlefield from a distance while you mess with their minds. Maybe have a spec where you can be a caster tank, your body gets covered by these hard, parasitic growths and it makes you super tough to kill.

Now you got me reminiscing about the good old days before my DM realized how overpowered psionics were in D&D.

In WoW? Yeah, a psychic themed class would be cool. I'd also like a bard, and would probably mix the two together to make a class that was neither one or the other; letting the psychic be less scifi and the bard be less spoony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellash View Post
    Bards are cool but don't belong in WoW.

The only class that is truly missing from WoW is Necromancer. Pure Necromancer. Diablo 2 and Guild Wars 1, if you need references.
    The Death Knight handles the Necromancer theme. There's no design space for such a class in WoW.

As for Bards and Psionics; Bards don't really fit into WoW, since every class can buff the group. A class that specializes in buffs is kind of pointless at this point. Maybe in Vanilla and TBC when we had auras, and Shaman's totems had a 30 yard range, but not anymore.

Psionics are Shadow Priests. Dominate Mind, Psionic Scream, Psychic Horror, Mind Bender, Mind Blast, Mind Spike, etc. If you want to be a psionic, just roll a Shadow Priest.

Kool ideas. But WoW doesn't need more classes. It needs more playable races.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by toomes211 View Post
    The psionic theme is partially filled by a lot of classes, but it could be fun to see how it would work out in wow.

Bards are typically a buff class, and I'd be turned off seeing a pure support again like in BC/Vanilla. But it could work too with a revamp.
    If the support was active, rather than the passive buff slapping we have now it wouldn't be too hard to pull off. So long as the bard had a pet or two during regular play they could use their abilities to buff those pets outside of groups, and buff the group within them.

Honestly, the idea would work even better along with the garrisons offering some level of player support from other npcs. Maybe if the garrison thing works out we'll see a bard class.

bards are for imaginationland only

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

There really isn't much left class-wise. The existing WoW classes cover a pretty large swath of themes.

I promised myself I would quit wow if they ever put bards into the game.

The only Warcraft applicable classes missing are really Demon Hunters and Spellbreakers. To be honest, the two of them could even be implemented together.

Maybe Tinkers or Runemasters, but Tinkers are essentially engineers and Runemasters fit into Enchanting territory.

Tinker's would be great if they had their own steampunk battlesuits, like Goblin's with their shredders and Gnomes with whatever they have. Other races with a less tech bent would just call what a tinker does by another name, Night Elves could raise ents and configure them to be a natural battlesuit, Blood Elves already have arcane golems going on, just make a few adjustments and then they'd be in. I think there was something in the WoW RPG about that, though I know it's not official, they could draw from it.

A tinker would be unique in that virtually all their gear upgrades and talent spec'ing would be dedicated to their suit. Maybe there could be a spec where they operate outside their suit and use it as a pet and then a melee spec where they get up close and personal, chopping and chopping. Perhaps that's a little more high tech than Blizz is willing to take Warcraft right now.

Along those same lines, if Blizz ever does a South Seas/Kul Tiras/Nazjatar/pirate themed expansion, it would be a great opportunity to implement personalized ships and naval combat.

[/QUOTE]Psionics are Shadow Priests. Dominate Mind, Psionic Scream, Psychic Horror, Mind Bender, Mind Blast, Mind Spike, etc. If you want to be a psionic, just roll a Shadow Priest.[/QUOTE]

Thank you
    The most trusted and reliable mainstream republican website: http://Dailystormer.com

I wouldn't mind a Bard class but I remember how EQ handled them. Not to say they were terrible but the closest equivalent for WoW would be Vanilla Retribution. The game just isn't designed for constant buff application classes.