Angry Hum/Buzz coming through speakers.

Like the title says I've got a hum/buzz coming through my speakers.
    I have x2 KRK Rokit 8's hooked up to a Traktor Audio 2 sound card (used for DJing) and I have a hum/buzz whenever I play WoW or other games.
    They're hooked up to the sound card using a basic white & red audio to guitar amp cable (can't for the life of me think of its name at the moment).

Should I be using a new sound card with XLR cables?
    Would that fix it?
    Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, not expert on sound systems, one of two simple things that could cause this:
    1) cable not plug in all the way into the sound card
    2) settings screwing up the sound quality, make sure you have correct sound settings in games, at least in wow make sure it has highest quality set, etc. What about when you listen to music in desktop?
    PM me weird stuff :3

All my cables are plugged in nice and snug.
    Highest quality is set and everything seems to be how its supposed to be.

When I listen to music on my desktop it's perfect.
    Only when I'm in games there is a buzz, WoW especially.
    Anytime I move the camera around the buzz changes sound, higher or lower pitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Subdefuse View Post
    All my cables are plugged in nice and snug.
    Highest quality is set and everything seems to be how its supposed to be.

When I listen to music on my desktop it's perfect.
    Only when I'm in games there is a buzz, WoW especially.
    Anytime I move the camera around the buzz changes sound, higher or lower pitch.
    Sound's like the buzz is from GPU, called 'coin whine' then?
    Maybe this will explain more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

From what I can tell that's coming from the card itself no?
    Mine is coming from the speakers.

I've been doing some digging and limiting my FPS in games might help.
    But I'm going to have to wait till I get home from work to test this out.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried it and still no good.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers, changed the cable and tried all my usb ports.
    So maybe it is this coil whine crap, in which case that sucks.
    Last edited by Subdefuse; 2014-03-14 at 07:09 PM.

Deleted
    I used to have this on an old laptop. Dell swapped it two motherboards and the graphics card until it was all quiet. Coil whine sucks.

Crappy power supply maybe? Greater demand increasing noise on the lines which you are then picking up on the speakers.

I got a 1000w PS so I don't think that's the problem.
    It doesn't come through any headphones/headset I plug in, and after unplugging/plugging the speakers back in it's not so bad now.
    I almost can't even hear it now.
    Maybe my KRK's are just giving out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a 1000w PS so I don't think that's the problem.
    It doesn't come through any headphones/headset I plug in, and after unplugging/plugging the speakers back in it's not so bad now.
    I almost can't even hear it now.
    Maybe my KRK's are just giving out.
    Wattage on PSU doesn't mean much these days, could be some static left? Turn off PC, unplug it from the electricity completely, turn off speakers (I assume they have separate power supply from PC?) unplug speakers from PC, wait a few minutes, plug all back in and turn on.

I'll try that when I get home.
    Either way at least I can deal with this.
    I was loosing my mind before :P

Check to see if any of your speaker wires/cords are tangled with anything else at the back of your case. I has this same problem and limiting the wire/cords contact eliminated the noise. I don't know the physics behind the solution or anything, but it worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by teamedward View Post
    Check to see if any of your speaker wires/cords are tangled with anything else at the back of your case. I has this same problem and limiting the wire/cords contact eliminated the noise. I don't know the physics behind the solution or anything, but it worked for me!
    I'll also check that out when I get home, though I don't think they touching any other ones.
    I know for sure they aren't tangled, I don't roll like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I am still leaning towards saying that it could very well have to do with either the PSU or GPU.

I know, the PSU is 1000W, but it can still generate some electrical interference when having to ramp up power delivery for the GPU, thereby creating noise in the speakers. (might not be the cleanest power coming through)

As for the GPU, it would be the same thing (ramping up during gaming usage, where it does not during normal music listening.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Your speakers aren't grounded properly, i.e electrical interference is being fed through the cables to the speakers, probably all the way from your computer. Normally it could also be interference from other electrical fields nearby but afaik KRK's monitors are magnetically shielded so I think we can rule that out. Is your soundcard connected via USB?

I'd try switching USB ports and sometimes it also helps to change to another power outlet port, and make sure no power cables are close to the audio or USB cables etc. If that doesn't work you'll have to find some kind of isolator adapter/hum eliminator.

Is your electrical outlet grounded? That can easily cause this. I think the only real way to fix it if that's the case is to use an external USB sound card to isolate the power.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Tried it hooked up to another computer and it still does it.
    Changed usb ports and it still does it (got 9 in total) ((sound card is external))

Any suggestions on a hum eliminator or something of the sort?

nothing seems to work , then change speakers , problem solved

On a serious note , contact tech support on the speakers official site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried it hooked up to another computer and it still does it.
    Changed usb ports and it still does it (got 9 in total) ((sound card is external))

Any suggestions on a hum eliminator or something of the sort?
    Hmm if it's still the same even when hooked up to another computer it would seem that the likely problem is somewhere between the sound card and speakers, so yeah a ground loop isolator might work. I don't really have any experience with those but there are like millions of different ones, I'd advice going to a specialty audio store of some kind and ask for assistance, otherwise you can probably find ground loop isolators on for example, amazon.

EDIT: Are both computers you tried it in connected to a grounded power outlet?
    Last edited by Shakadam; 2014-03-19 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of silly, but do you have a cell phone next to your speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Hmm if it's still the same even when hooked up to another computer it would seem that the likely problem is somewhere between the sound card and speakers, so yeah a ground loop isolator might work. I don't really have any experience with those but there are like millions of different ones, I'd advice going to a specialty audio store of some kind and ask for assistance, otherwise you can probably find ground loop isolators on for example, amazon.

EDIT: Are both computers you tried it in connected to a grounded power outlet?
    I live in the middle of nowhere so it would have to be ordered online.
    And yes, they both are.

It only started acting like this since I moved, and I only moved down the road.
    To a house that's only 11 years old with solid electrical work..
    So maybe they are just giving out, I've had them for about 3 years now.