Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it worth dropping JC before WoD drops based on what we know so far?

They said there will be a lot less gear with gem slots, but they'll be more valuable. Thoughts?

Therefore each gem will be sold for substantially more and profits remaining in the same ballpark?
    Quote Originally Posted by Egzis View Post
    I swear, if vanilla was released right now with updated graphics, it would be the laughing stock of the decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    This whole thread explains in a pretty nice manner how can Beliebers exist.

Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    Therefore each gem will be sold for substantially more and profits remaining in the same ballpark?
    The only way I could see this happening is if they DRASTICALLY reduced the gem proc rate from prospecting and made the alchemy transmute mats rediculous.

- - - Updated - - -

or made teh recipes much harder to learn.... none of which they've said anything about (yet?)

Deleted
    They will probably just buff the things JC can make to bring it more inline with Say the darkmoon trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    Nope this won't happen. It's gonna be the same. High-ish prices at the beginning and piss-poor prices towards the end. I reckon if they don't add something valuable in, it's gonna be bad for JC's profit-wise

Blizz will not just wipe out a profesions use. They will likely offset the lack of gems with somthing else useful, end game rings/ammys for example.

At this point I would not be too hasty to drop anything until WoD Beta is released and we can actually see how things fall.

Right now I am debating if it is worth while to level alts to take advantage of the DMF trinkets, but that may be changed signifigantly as well.

Deleted
    Why would any sane person drop something now, when they dont have to? They are not in a good position to know what will happen in future events, but in a number of months time they will be given that information?

10+ Year Old Account
    not even beta yet. wait and see what is blizzards plans
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

I'd wait for beta, too-- it's too soon, and JC is too annoying to re-level if you change your mind based on additional info.

I think we have too little information about any profession in WoD yet to be able to make a decision. I'd suggest waiting it out a bit longer

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    you don't take into account the fact you can't use flying mounts in MoP. That means much, much less ore/h farmed, higher ore price, higher profit per gem

Actually, if anything, people will still farm, and then stockpile because of a lack of need. Then, undercut each other to death when the needs shift. It'll be awful.

I just can't wait to ignore leveling and mine all the new ore and pick the new herbs the first week or so and make ridiculous amounts of money from people leveling their professions to max. I still need to figure out which realm I want to do all of the selling on though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFuzZ7 View Post
    I just can't wait to ignore leveling and mine all the new ore and pick the new herbs the first week or so and make ridiculous amounts of money from people leveling their professions to max. I still need to figure out which realm I want to do all of the selling on though.
    Lol, you act like you're the only one who does that.

I'm hoping to see random rolls for gem sockets/warforged/tertiary stats for crafted gear (in addition to the existing mechanic to randomly make an uncommon crafted item rare quality, or even epic randomly), including JC stuff. Would make it exciting to see an item proc multiple of those properties, possibly making for a big cashout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dropping a profession now would be tantamount to having blown your own head off every time someone predicted the end of the world. (Insert list of predictions of the end of the world here, along with a buzzer and "FAIL" rubber stamp mark for each one.)

At the very least, this may possibly result in buffed personal perks for JC and Enchanting (as both seem to be in the same boat atm). Enchanting currently just gets ring enchants, which are OK, but not the greatest for a purely personal boost. JC currently has JC-only gems, which do provide modestly better stats for those with the profession, but no other direct personal boost benefit. One may argue that since "everyone needs enchants and gems" that it won't hurt anything; but the problem I see is with the random nature of the gear that will drop. If this random loot system turns out to be a horrid as the current personal loot system in LFR, then gem sockets will be so rare on gear that every gem will be priced 3 to 5 times what it normally would have cost if Blizzard just left things "as is." If, on the other hand, the random gear turns out to be more akin to Diablo 3's revamped loot system, there's a decent opportunity for people to both get sockets and competition to sort things out in price wars.

Time will tell how Blizzard handles it. All I have to say is that I hope they don't drop the ball on it the same way the Personal Loot system from LFR has gone. IF things shake out that way, it's going to be one long, miserable road to gearing - and one very costly expansion upcoming.
    Last edited by Invictus9001; 2014-03-18 at 03:58 AM.

#FlightIsImportant

It's not worth dropping any profession for WoD right now. We don't know jack shit about what the changes are going to be, and the little we do know will change 100x between now and release.

Deleted
    I don't quite understand how they're supposed to make gems more "valuable" when the pricing is decided by the sellers and the demand of the customers.

"Well, what if we make the gems more unlikely to come by while prospecting?" We'll still get the backlash that the price goes up, but the amount of ore needed to get x amount of a specific rare gem goes up as well, not solving a thing.

"What if we make them more poweful?" Do you even understand how the wow market works? When it comes to gems/enchants/consumables about 95% of the time, people will buy the item they need regardless of price. This might have a small impact on the people saying gems doesn't grant enough stat benefit, but that's very unlikely to make up for the reduce of gem slots.

"But what if they only remove a gem slot on legs and chests?" If they actually only do this and leave the possiblity for gems on other parts of the gear, then it really wouldn't have too much of a brutal effect, but the way they presented it at Blizzcon was that they really, REALLY wanted to cut down on the neccessaty of min/max:ing gear.

"Ok, but what if the meta gem removal is the only thing that happens?" It's pretty big nerf to both Jewelcrafting and Alchemy in general, but we might be able to work around it as long as they keep the other transmutes intact.

Deleted
    The gold gain from JC comes primarily from the sale volume. I can sell over a thousand gems in just one evening and this is what is generating profit here. Profit on single gem is miniscule - 10, 20, 30, maybe 80 gold if someone resets the price. But soon the undercutters kick in and price isn't 150g anymore.

But selling hundreds upon hundreds of these gems makes my profit add up to some really nice gold sums. I've made 8 million gold sale on a 6,2 million spending, so about 1,8 million net profit in this patch total. Reachning numbers like that will be impossible in WOD with greatly reduced socket numbers.

My server won't let having higher profit margins. It's crowdy clusterfuck with nearly 200,000 population. Cutting down the socket number by 75% will also cut down the profit from JC by 75% because the profit margins will remain the same (small as hell), while the sale volume will drop greatly.