10+ Year Old Account

internet anniversary

I love how 100 different people claim to have "invented the internet". One thing is for sure, that guy certainly didn't. The Verge is typically a good site, but that writer is an idiot for making an article title like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History....E2.80.9390.29
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I love how 100 different people claim to have "invented the internet". One thing is for sure, that guy certainly didn't. The Verge is typically a good site, but that writer is an idiot for making an article title like that.
    He's the inventor of the Web, not the internet. He's the guy who invented HTTP, the first web browser, the first webserver, etc.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    He's the inventor of the Web, not the internet. He's the guy who invented HTTP, the first web browser, the first webserver, etc.
    First thing's first, the original article used the word "internet", not "web". I suppose they ninja edited it later in the day. Here's an entertaining article to read about the entire debacle:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03...eadline_fails/

On to your statement:

Few things wrong with that, unfortunately. The first "real" graphical web browser was Mosaic, the first real text browser was likely Lynx. The first "web" server was simply a server to follow his protocol, servers already existed. HTTP was developed by a large team. He "proposed" the idea, and had teams work on it. This is all disregarding the state of information networks beforehand, as there was already worldwide network communications. Lastly, his proposal wasn't even the one that got accepted. Robert Cailliau's was after he reworked it.

Lastly, there were several other initiatives trying to achieve the same idea at the same time, they just never took off. It's like saying JVC invented home video with the VCR. There were others before it doing similar things, they just never gained traction.

Regardless, he's just egotistical and I dislike him. If you ever actually read up on his history, there's tons of childish nonsense. For example, he tried naming the entire thing after himself, even though his team did most of the work.

The Information Mine (turned down as it abbreviates to TIM, the WWW's creator's name) or Mine of Information (turned down because it abbreviates to MOI which is "Me" in French), but settled on World Wide Web. He has since stated "None had quite the right ring. I liked WWW partly because I could start global variable names with a W and not have them clash with other peoples' (in a C world) ...in fact I used HT for them)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...World_Wide_Web

So, he only "liked" how www turned out because they wouldn't let him selfishly name it after himself, and a second time after.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-03-14 at 11:25 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics