Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Uh ..oh..good you are totally not on the forum of this filthy casual game and totally play a different game. Or you are being very subtely sarcastic.
    im on here but i play league of legends

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    It's what makes WoW the greatest MMO of all time.
    and also hands down worst community of all time. Played probably 8 or 9 MMOs and nothing else is even remotely close to being as toxic as WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    and also hands down worst community of all time. Played probably 8 or 9 MMOs and nothing else is even remotely close to being as toxic as WoW.
    agree

/10

In older MMOs your actions and even the actions of others had consequences. In Ultima Online you could be killed by players at any time while outside towns. If a player killed you they looted all your gear. If you happened to have your house key on you then they also got a nice new house for free. If you died deep in a dungeon your corpse rotted. If you were a PKer you gained a murder count which meant you couldnt enter towns and if you were killed you could not rez without a penalty until it went away.

In Everquest if you died you had a corpse run and an exp loss requiring a rez. There were factions for everything. If you were an evil race you could not enter good cities and vice versa. During Velious expansion they added factions for armor quests. Picking one meant you became enemies to the other 2. Killing in plane of growth made you KoS in the high elf city. Also there were consequences of how you played. If you were a helpful player you gained friends and thus groups. If you were good at your class you got groups. On the other hand if you were an asshole ninja looter people plastered your name on that server's forums and you didnt get groups. If you were a trade scammer people made it known and no one ever traded with you again. If you sucked and didnt know how to play you didnt get groups. Once word got around that you were a bad or a jerk the only way to get rid of that was pretty much rerolling to another server with a different name and hope no one found out.

On the other hand in WoW you can be the worst player in the world or a total douche bag asshole and what happens? Not a damn thing. You can still raid. You can still trade. You can still get groups. You can still get gear. Nothing you do will ever have a negative result. There are no factions to ruin. No possible way for an Orc to ever become hated by another Horde race. Doesnt that kinda take away from the game? Having negative consequences for your actions both within the actual game and also in the community makes you think about what you are doing. I know stuff like corpse decay resulting in total gear loss wouldnt work in WoW because of loot being harder to get but there should be something. There is no penalty for being a bad player who doesnt know how to play. There is no penalty for dying in PvP. There is no penalty for dying in PvE. There is no penalty for being a douche bag. Even if you do go the forums and post about someone being a ninja looter, a scammer, or a bad the post is immediately removed and you get infracted. I mean really? You are trying to warn the community to stay away from someone and you are the one who gets punished? Shouldnt there at least be some consequences for negative actions?

Here is the answer folks dont want that shit, if they did UO would have more than 2450 ppl playing it.

Now imagine WoW on a PVP server if you could drop your heroic raid gear after being ganked because you had a legitimate lag spike while standing near a flight path.
    Praise the Quest Writers for they give life to otherwise boring expansions.
    P̶l̶a̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶W̶o̶D̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶d̶d̶e̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶W̶a̶r̶g̶l̶a̶i̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶A̶z̶z̶i̶n̶o̶t̶h̶.̶
    RIP Sweet Prince...

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Here is the answer folks dont want that shit, if they did UO would have more than 2450 ppl playing it.
    right because the number of people still playing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that its 17 years old or anything. Also most WoW players are so bad they couldnt hack it in UO anyways. First time someone got PKed and lost all their gear they would first hit the forums with a massive QQ post and then rage quit.

Herald of the Titans Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoaric View Post
    It is, especially when you're carrying a unique quest reward or some godly gear that
    took years to obtain...
    I remember I kept trying to make my own fortune with my necromancer, bravely and carefully soloing everything... until the stone guard that spawns the door to Oryx's chamber dropped his sword right on me.

People who play WoW for the most part don't want to deal with those sorts of consequences. There are games where they have them and to each their own. I don't see a problem with that.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

WoW has been the most popular mmo to date. I'm hoping with Wildstar and ESO the devs will be forced to do actual work on improving the game when they lose fucktons of subs because they fail to put out quality content. They have been able to just kinda dick around on the top of the hill, but good games will force them to wake up.

As far as gameplay goes, the devs have been shitting on it since wrath. It will take a few expansions of very good development in order to fix anything.

In older MMOs your actions and even the actions of others had consequences. In Ultima Online you could be killed by players at any time while outside towns. If a player killed you they looted all your gear. If you happened to have your house key on you then they also got a nice new house for free. If you died deep in a dungeon your corpse rotted. If you were a PKer you gained a murder count which meant you couldnt enter towns and if you were killed you could not rez without a penalty until it went away.
    Yes, and they changed it 3 years later with Ultima Online Renaissance, where there was now a mirror version of it called Trammel, which had NO unconsensual PVP, and all lands that were added by subsequent expansions had that rule. Also they changed it so that the keys were no longer the thing that decides about house ownership. Felucca, the lands of free PVP became an empty shell, only to be inhabited by those who desire PKing.
    Then later they added Item Insurance where you could insure your equipment and it stayed with you when you died.
    In other words, the "good old times" of rampant PK were not as golden as some say. Only after it became a choice of gameplay (like WOW pvp server vs PVE server) did the game actually flourish.
    I know, I played it, was part of the Atlantic Shard RP Community, etc.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    because it became a game for filthy casuals
    Posts like this will forever vex me. The game is what it is because it was made for "filthy casuals". If you wanted a truly challenging game that isn't casual, you have no business with WoW, honestly.

As for the OP: WoW just isn't that sort of MMO. Look how long we had the original Vanilla world. It took what, 6 years to get the world altered to reflect changes? In lore, things DO change. In the game, it does take a while. That's simply because of how much constant updating the world would need. You think you get sod all in terms of content now? Imagine if 99% of updates to the game were just updating some bridge to make sure it reflected a lore-based fight. WoW is too big now (in terms of overall content/world size) to continually update stuff like that. It's pretty meaningless to do so, imo. I'd much rather Blizzard spent their time on things that matter much more.

Rarely updated...

right because the number of people still playing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that its 17 years old or anything. Also most WoW players are so bad they couldnt hack it in UO anyways. First time someone got PKed and lost all their gear they would first hit the forums with a massive QQ post and then rage quit.
    You're suddenly going from consequence in MMOs to talking about how good UO is. If that's the direction you're heading in your topic then why don't you just stick with UO.

None of this sounds like good ideas to me

You haven't played EvE online or LoL then?

In EvE online we wanted to kill a titan, to give an idea of how valuable they are they approximate to $5,000 a piece in real money. A person in his "guild" wanted to backstab the titan owner so helped us. He formed a party with the dude while it was in a spot that made it invulnerable to damage. We then distracted the titan owner by getting his guildmate to link him silly youtube vids. When we were good and certain he was lolling to one his guildmate warped him out to where we could gank him and we dropped the hammer. Boom, $5k splatted. This is childsplay compared to the lengths that many will go to.

Corp robberies of billions there are the norm, spying, DDOS of voicecomms in important ops and so on.

But yea, wow isn't that kind of game and I'm glad it isn't. WoW is a nice change of pace.

Actually when server communities were still a thing, people were social outcasts if they were dicks. It was a player based punishment which was kinda cool, now that thats gone people can be complete arseholes before fading into a sea of randoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    You haven't played EvE online or LoL then?

In EvE online we wanted to kill a titan, to give an idea of how valuable they are they approximate to $5,000 a piece in real money. A person in his "guild" wanted to backstab the titan owner so helped us. He formed a party with the dude while it was in a spot that made it invulnerable to damage. We then distracted the titan owner by getting his guildmate to link him silly youtube vids. When we were good and certain he was lolling to one his guildmate warped him out to where we could gank him and we dropped the hammer. Boom, $5k splatted. This is childsplay compared to the lengths that many will go to.

Corp robberies of billions there are the norm, spying, DDOS of voicecomms in important ops and so on.

But yea, wow isn't that kind of game and I'm glad it isn't. WoW is a nice change of pace.
    LoL community is so much better than wow's.

Stood in the Fire
    because it became a game for filthy casuals
    Why would you call people that play a game casually, filfthy. Where does the hate come from?

And the OP's question has been answered in this thread. Wow is not that type of game. Games with (heavy) repurcusions are for a niche market. Wow wants to appeal to a bigger crowd.
    It's interesting though, people that criticize Wow for being too casual or too mass appealing mostly want games that not many people play.
    Wow is the McDonalds of MMO gaming, a lot of people hate it but the majority loves it. It tastes good but it's not for everyone. The people that like to dine in the smaller restaurants are eager to critique it while eating in their quiet little restaurant.

LFD and LFR killed community
    Flying killed the world
    Whiners killed the rest

There you go, a lobby game without consequences.

I remember UO and EQ fondly too. I also remember de-leveling on Cazic-Thule pulls more than once and getting pissed as the night got harder. To be fair, I thought it was kinda cool that you lost some exp if you died. It also meant you only had to gain 1 xp when a new expansion came out to hit the next level.

UO I was a PK so I dealt out more frustration than I got in return.

agree

/10
    Says the guy that just said he plays LoL. Easily the worlds most toxic game by far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by z4x View Post
    LFD and LFR killed community
    Flying killed the world
    Whiners killed the rest

There you go, a lobby game without consequences.
    Cool, none of that is true. There's nothing dead about WoW, frankly.