Poll: What did you typically play and what do you think of the "holy trinity'

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

[Poll] Previous roles and trinity vs non-trinity

Just curious about this

For those who don't know. Trinity is the tank/healer/dps system like in WoW. Games like GW2, on the other hand, do not have a trinity.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2014-03-17 at 12:27 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    is Tank/Healer/Support/CC/Direct Damage/AoE Damage/Debuffer also this "holy trinity"? because i prefered this one over the Tank/Healer/DPS.

The "no trinity" like in GW2 is extremly saddening as one who likes to play Healers and Supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    is Tank/Healer/Support/CC/Direct Damage/AoE Damage/Debuffer also this "holy trinity"? because i prefered this one over the Tank/Healer/DPS.

The "no trinity" like in GW2 is extremly saddening as one who likes to play Healers and Supporters.
    Yes. For example, rift has four role, tank, healer, dps, and support but it is still considered "trinity" because it is designed around the tank/healer/dps MMORPG paradigm.

Deleted
    ok thanks :3

Then it will be the first point for me.

You forgot the option of "I like both"
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I prefer a DPS/Control hybrid play style. And I greatly dislike the "holy" trinity as it is in so many games.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You forgot the option of "I like both"
    No, I didn't.

That was intentional

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I prefer a DPS/Control hybrid play style. And I greatly dislike the "holy" trinity as it is in so many games.
    Too bad gw2 is more balanced around DPS then the Support/CC options given. Ex. Defiant stacks....

So what If i want to CC a mob to death - I do have to give up dps for that CC and it's not better then stacking full zerker and rushing content.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The closest option would be the last one, then.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Too bad gw2 is more balanced around DPS then the Support/CC options given. Ex. Defiant stacks....
    yeah, the real issue is with the mob AI that is implemented there, and not really with the combat

I play damage classes or specs exclusively (unless I happen to enjoy a tank spec for solo play) and I dislike the trinity, mostly because I hate the effect healers have on games. The trinity is interesting in concept, but not in practice, which always involves strong imbalances and special snowflake syndrome over roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    The closest option would be the last one, then.
    yeah I suppose. I would say a tank is a control play style and I don't mind that except for one specific skill that is included with almost all trinity games, and that is Taunt. I hate it.

Deleted
    usualy healer or tank and I love trinity

10+ Year Old Account
    I play Tank, always the tank, even in single player games and I personally think the Trinity is great
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post

A role trinity is just any 3 part assemblage of roles that are interdependent. Often to the exclusion of another role- controllers might not be good damage dealers, supporter might not be good controllers, etc.

"Tanking" is a factor of control, "healing" is a factor of support, damage dealing is of course damage dealing. Classically, that is a role trinity.

That one game defines "control" as tanking via a guy with shield is just stylistic difference. Whether a shield wearing Warrior with a rage bar [Everquest] or an assassin with CC [Guild Wars 1] or a mage/priest mystic with threat generators- it is only the role of control.

Most vulgar conceptions are faulty, as is the case with almost all game design.

@thread premise
    I play tanks/controllers and have no like or dislike of role trinity.

Though I am less likely to enjoy action games [twitch skill, mastery, quick reactive mechanics] than more methodical, strategic games. I mention this because the existence of a "role trinity" and in a more overarching sense, roles, is a kind of game design cheat.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-03-17 at 03:42 PM.

I play what ever role is available. While I don't mind the trinity, I don't like it either.
    It feels old and clunky. I really hope someone will find a better gameplay - GW2 was a good try but the result were mediocre at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I play damage classes or specs exclusively (unless I happen to enjoy a tank spec for solo play) and I dislike the trinity, mostly because I hate the effect healers have on games. The trinity is interesting in concept, but not in practice, which always involves strong imbalances and special snowflake syndrome over roles.
    This just in: Guys have egos!

You will come across entitled pricks no matter what you do. The system doesn't lend itself to that as long as people are all doing what they are supposed to do and everyone is pulling their weight. In WoW if you are body pulling everything because you aren't paying attention and causing wipes from it I would say that you should expect to not be healed/rezzed.

OT: I prefer the trinity. I like playing DPS/Healer/Support roles in games, and I feel that without the trinity any kind of real PvE content is gimped or non existent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    In my day we said "Tank/Healer/CC" because DPS was hardly even a "role". /oldManGrumble
    No you said this because if you didn't have the CC the tank would take too much damage, the healer wouldn't keep up with said damage, and the DPS wasn't high enough to make said damage end before becoming a lethal wipe. The games have changed since then, but I'd like to see a return of CC in some way shape or form to WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to like the no-trinity idea until I started to play GW2. The fights become so chaotic that it is impossible for me to have fun.

I prefer trinity style play, as responsibilities in a fight can make things far more interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Thotor View Post
    While I don't mind the trinity, I don't like it either. It feels old and clunky.
    Could you or someone that agrees with this sentiment expand upon it a bit for me? I haven't played much outside of WoW, but what I have without the trinity I haven't liked nor do I like the idea of a ffa kind of PvE battle. Not quite sure how the system feels "clunky" unless you're using that term for something you simply don't like.