Mana and Eternal Flame Blanketing

I used my boost on a Holy Paladin and have been having fun with the new class. I still have a lot of work to do to be good at it (such as getting better use of my cooldowns), but I am doing fairly well.

My question has to do with what I have seen on a lot of guides about constantly generating HP and hitting as many people as possible with eternal flame. This strat seems to drain my mana fast. I've got about 500 IL and haven't done too much gemming, enchanting, and reforging yet since I'm at the point where I'm getting constant upgrades.

Are these guides assuming I have better gear or am I doing things wrong by constantly spamming shocks and Holy Radiance to try and generate the HP? Will this issue just sort of clear up after I get better gear and start gemming/enchanting it?
    Is this where the header goes?

Having the legendary meta & high levels of spirit makes the EF playstyle significantly easier. I suggest going Selfless Healer until you can get your legendary gem.
    Last edited by Shuttle; 2014-03-17 at 03:42 AM.
    Shuttle of Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    Having the legendary meta & high levels of spirit makes the EF playstyle significantly easier. I suggest going Selfless Healer until you can get your legendary gem.
    Ok, good to know. Going to be a few months but I may be able to power through it with the rest of the gear as I fill it up until then. Thanks for the info.

You can use EF if you stack the hell of spirit, we are talking 16k+

Deleted
    16k spirit is not neccesary, it's already possible to blanket the raid with EFs with 12-13k spirit with the meta gem and a decent mp5 trinket. Until you get that, I'd suggest SH as someone else said - with the changes in 5.4 it's even competetive to EF on some fights. Or if you dislike the playstyle from SH, you can take SS, although that grants you less healing than other two options.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyuka View Post
    16k spirit is not neccesary, it's already possible to blanket the raid with EFs with 12-13k spirit with the meta gem and a decent mp5 trinket. Until you get that, I'd suggest SH as someone else said - with the changes in 5.4 it's even competetive to EF on some fights. Or if you dislike the playstyle from SH, you can take SS, although that grants you less healing than other two options.
    You can - for about half the fight until you realize holy radiance costs 21.6k mana to cast. Then the other half of the fight you can't cast on a sustained basis and your eye invariably wanders towards your divine plea button.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    You can - for about half the fight until you realize holy radiance costs 21.6k mana to cast. Then the other half of the fight you can't cast on a sustained basis and your eye invariably wanders towards your divine plea button.
    Not neccesarily, but one thing is true - you do need to start the fight knowing you'll have to manage mana and start using the Plea as soon as you're at 80%ish of mana, then proceed with using it on cd. Having a mana pot and LoH glyph helps too. That should suffice to have enough mana for the encounter, unless you get streak of bad luck with gem/trinket procs. Oh, I so love getting the trinket to proc as soon as the boss is pulled.

Not neccesarily, but one thing is true - you do need to start the fight knowing you'll have to manage mana and start using the Plea as soon as you're at 80%ish of mana, then proceed with using it on cd. Having a mana pot and LoH glyph helps too. That should suffice to have enough mana for the encounter, unless you get streak of bad luck with gem/trinket procs. Oh, I so love getting the trinket to proc as soon as the boss is pulled.
    Enough for normals, definitely insufficient for heroic progression if you want to pull your own weight.

Mana potion and LoH glyph only adds up to 3 Holy Radiance casts.

Not to mention, Divine Plea returns less mana as you drop spirit, which compounds the issue.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Deleted
    Each to their own, I guess. I've been playing like that and had no real issues on heroic progression, but it depends on the person and their playstyle, my co-pally had been complaining about mana despite having much more spirit. Divine Plea, while it benefits from spirit, will always grant at least 12% of the mana.

Deleted
    12% mana will be regged at or less then 8888 Spirit. So there is a difference if you have 13-14k or 16k+.

Manareg also differs a lot on raid comp. If your raid has at least one resto shami and maybe priest for hymn then low spirit is a non issue. If you don't (on some bosses our resto sits out) I have a hard time even with 16k spirit.

Using DP as soon as possible should be a given.

Each to their own, I guess. I've been playing like that and had no real issues on heroic progression, but it depends on the person and their playstyle, my co-pally had been complaining about mana despite having much more spirit. Divine Plea, while it benefits from spirit, will always grant at least 12% of the mana.
    There's actually a really big difference between 12% mana and DP's return at 12k or 16k spirit.

DP returns 48600 mana at 12k spirit
    64800 mana at 16k spirit
    12% of total mana is only 36000 mana.

So bad he only have 500ilvl right?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've switched to the Selfless Healer rotation until I gear up some more. With all the guides pushing the EF play style and not really getting into mana efficiency they were giving me some bad info off the get go. Getting through my fights a lot better now without being so dependent on external mana cooldowns.

Thanks again!