Poll: Is the boycott going too far?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    I think you are confused about what the issue in Arizona is, and maybe what the issue with civil rights in general is. It had nothing to do with free speech or "choice" or religion. It had to do with discrimination against people in public businesses, and ONLY public businesses, because the idea is that everyone has the right to access the public infrastructure, and when the government licenses you to operate a public business, you have to serve the public.

- - - Updated - - -

Refusing to do business with someone isn't a free speech issue.
    1st amendment guarantees the freedom of religion and choice superceding serving the public. The mormons of arizona claimed that right and tried to pass it into law. They have every right not to serve someone who is a deviant heathen in their eyes. Being gay isn't civil rights although that's what the gay army has us believing (and winning unfortunately).

if you're going to claim 1st amendment you have to apply it universally and not where it fits an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    1st amendment guarantees the freedom of religion and choice superceding serving the public.
    No, they don't, because you do not have a right to operate a business. This is settled law. If you don't have a right to do something in the first place, then you can't use the existence of a separate right to create that new right. For example, if my religion tells me to block traffic, I don't get the right to do that because I never had the right to block traffic in the first place.

The first amendment says nothing about "choice" because it's meaningless by itself.

The mormons of arizona claimed that right and tried to pass it into law. They have every right not to serve someone who is a deviant heathen in their eyes. Being gay isn't civil rights although that's what the gay army has us believing (and winning unfortunately).
    Yes, being gay very much falls under the category of civil rights. You may not like this, but tough shit, because freedom is winning and authoritarianism is losing.

if you're going to claim 1st amendment you have to apply it universally and not where it fits an agenda.
    It doesn't apply universally. That's the point. There is no such thing as a universal right.