Thread: First surgery

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Cauterize > Stitches. Much less pain, so much better.
    yeah these dont hurt at all even when I move wrong. Now my insides on the other hand hurt like a bitch lol.

I had surgery when I was 16. (Pectus Carinatum). Basically, everyone has cartilage on their chest, between the skin and the bone, and it's usually pretty flat. Well, some people have cartilage that grows inward and can affect the heart. Others, like myself, have the cartilage grow outwards, and it looks like a bumpy bone sticking out from your chest. It was embarrassing, and I would hunch my shoulders because of it. I was embarrassed to take my shirt off ever.

My parent's insurance told them that even though it was more "cosmetic" surgery, they would still pay for it. So I had surgery. I was supposed to be in the hospital for 5-10 days, but made great progress that I was able to come home after only 3 days. There was only one night at the hospital that was tough, because they scraped off all my cartilage on the chest in order to let it regrow, it hurt whenever I coughed. and that night I had a coughing fit really bad in the middle of the night and it really hurt. Luckily my younger brother had given me a big teddy bear (he loves bears, thought it would help me, he was 12). They said to hold the bear tight on my chest and it would act kind of like the cartilage and not hurt as bad. It really helped get me through that night and then I was fine.

I also didn't need to use any pain medicine except for when they told me one time before I got to walk the next day, to be safe I guess.

Just take it easy! And you'll heal.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    So yesterday I had my first surgery.

For the last week or so I had been having terrible pains after I ate, and yesterday I finally decided on going to the ER for it. Turns Out my gall bladder had damn near ruptured. Needless to say they did surgery immediately lol. Not going to lie I was scared shitless at first, but it was kinda funny. As I was laying on the table waiting for my anesthesia, I was just thinking holy shit this is it! Then bam I was waking up again trashed off morphine.

My question for you people is, how many of you have had surgery, and what was your reaction when you found out you had to have it?
    Fun fact that I didn't know. They still cauterize wounds lol. Well they closed me up with cauterization and super glue over it.
    I had eye-surgery, I was awake trough the entire process. I now know how eyes smell when it gets burned by a lazer.

Closest thing I've ever had was wisdom tooth removal. I was awake through the whole thing. They gave me a choice of being put completely under or just getting a shot of the stuff that numbs your mouth, and I chose the numbing stuff.

They stuck what looked like a pair of pliers in my mouth, and I could hear cracking/twisting going on, but I didn't feel a thing. The whole thing was over in like 10-15 minutes. They sent me home with a bag of gauze pads and a prescription for some happy pills. Whole thing went pretty smooth.

I've never had any of the "cut open and do stuff to organs" surgery. And I'm okay with that.

I'm also considering eye surgery, because I'm very nearsighted with astigmatism but hate glasses and contacts.

Torn meniscus and a cruciate ligament tear. I had to remove the torn meniscus because the doctor feared it might lock up knee movement.
    I remember being really cold in the OP room while waiting for the anesthesiologist. She asked me where I'd gone for holidays, I told her and she told me she'd sent me to a trip there :P I said oh ok and next thing I remember is waking up in pain with a fucking tube coming out of my knee.

She lied to me!

For the last week or so I had been having terrible pains after I ate, and yesterday I finally decided on going to the ER for it. Turns Out my gall bladder had damn near ruptured. Needless to say they did surgery immediately lol. Not going to lie I was scared shitless at first, but it was kinda funny. As I was laying on the table waiting for my anesthesia, I was just thinking holy shit this is it! Then bam I was waking up again trashed off morphine.

My question for you people is, how many of you have had surgery, and what was your reaction when you found out you had to have it?

Fun fact that I didn't know. They still cauterize wounds lol. Well they closed me up with cauterization and super glue over it.
    They cauterize to keep you from bleeding which makes it harder to perform surgery as well as make your recovery take longer. They do it with something akin to a pair of tweezers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I had my eyes LASIK'd. Does that count? Easiest medical procedure I've ever had. 1.5 minutes per eye, zero pain, but able to watch it all happening while it's happening, and able to smell the burning tissue from the laser.
    Tried this as well, and it was really creepy, felt like my eyeballs were missing after they'd cut it open and the brace was removed. o__o

I had an emergency appendectomy last November. I cried like a baby when they told me I needed surgery (I have severe health anxiety) but as I neared the surgery they gave me some awesome anti anxiety meds and I didn't give two shits after that. I remember cracking jokes with the surgeons before they put me under. I woke up very confused and in a lot of pain. The next week and a half sucked, I could not sit up by myself, my poor husband had to keep propping me up. All good now though, I healed up nicely.

my first one was to remove a tumor from my face when I was around 5 or 6 years old so I do not remember much but the one I remember was when i had to go in for Severe acute pancreatitis went in very close to death the pain was intense but after surgery iwas glad I managed to get there in time anyone who has had pancreatitis knows how much it sucks but yeah waking up after the surgery was terrible just such pain. the week in recovery also sucked hate catheters so much I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got my face cut three times to remove abscesses, one from the corner of lip, two from lower eyelid. And i refused to take a cosmetic operation on my rib cage, to remove depression in a place of a broken rib

Aside from dental surgery, I broke my wrists in 2004 just as I'd begun playing guitar. Was under for two hours as they put them back together with pins and stitches. Was something like six weeks or so of sitting around doing nothing and then the slow grind of physio to get my strength back. To this day I can't play super fast songs for more than thirty or forty five minutes without real pain for a day or two. It's pretty annoying.

I've had two - a shoulder injury repair and a nasal roto-rooter. Shoulder injury was fine and the roto-rooter was awful. Thankfully both of mine were not sudden so I had a lot of time to explore options and become comfortable with the decision.

Cauterization is awesome. It sterilizes as well as seals. Movement away from lasers for everything except dermatology is prob one of the worst things in modern surgery.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was awake, though pretty high on Novocaine for my wisdom teeth at the ripe age of 16. Was surprised when he finished, because all it had felt like was pressure on the gums/teeth. (My wisdom teeth had not even broken through the gums!)

On the other hand, had a different surgery a few years back in 2011 that I won't go into detail over, but it was a good thing, certainly. I must say, they said the anesthesia would make my hand feel warm, I remember having it go in, being like "oh wow that really is warm!" then I was out. XD I remember dreaming that I'd woken up and gone into a rage, when I finally awoke enough to ask a nurse if I'd been any trouble, she smiled and said I'd been very good, so yay!

I'm honestly probably going to have another surgery soon... carpal tunnel.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Aside from dental surgery, I broke my wrists in 2004 just as I'd begun playing guitar. Was under for two hours as they put them back together with pins and stitches. Was something like six weeks or so of sitting around doing nothing and then the slow grind of physio to get my strength back. To this day I can't play super fast songs for more than thirty or forty five minutes without real pain for a day or two. It's pretty annoying.
    That's sad, my grandfather had his wrist cut by skates, and after stitching it up he realized that he can't take even basic chords, implying that he was playing guitar in school orchestra it was huge disaster for him. Good to hear that you managed to get over it

Last year I had a liver transplant, gall bladder removed, kidney surgery and vascular surgery in the one operation. Was a 13 hour operation with a 1 month in hospital recovery with a 2 month stay before hand on life support waiting for a liver. It was all the result of an undiscovered genetic disorder and I nearly died before the surgery a few times but now I'm about as healthy as I can be for someone in my position but when I found out I'd need a liver transplant, at 26, and the very real fact that I could die before a liver was found was pretty life shattering. If anything it was the most maturing moment in my life, it made me a very different person.

never got a anesthesia that put me to sleep, just local for a small dermathologic surgery, but I did got high on morphine once, it was incredible

Deleted
    I have an in-growing toenail and I had to have surgery for it. It was a minor case so I didn't care for it that much. I got anaesthetization so it was fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was 12, my knee cap got dislocated and my tendon was ruptured. Walked around with it for 3 weeks until I got an emergency call for surgery. I was scared shitless. I got an injection that gave me the anesthetic and the made me count to 10. I believe I didn't even get to the 4th count before I was asleep.

Worst part was AFTER surgery. My knee was hurting like crazy because they reconnected my patella tendon with each other and moved my kneecap back where it was supposed to be (it was located 10 cm above where it's supposed to be). Have had 2 surgeries in total for it. Second time wasn't as bad since they only have to remove the piece of metal reconnecting my tendon.

Ive like 5-6 non ambulatory surgeries, most of them because I was born without any muscle on both eye lids and there wasnt someone expert on that here so they did some attempts that failed or were temporal. Now I look pretty normal and wont be needing another surgery for a good while (last one was like 9 years ago). I will always remember the one when the anesthesiologist said: "bet you cant count to 5", so I started counting, got to 4, then woke up and thought "fuck".
    Last edited by Valrak; 2014-03-20 at 07:38 AM.

Ive also had LASIk surgery on both eyes.Burning smell was funny.It was 3-4 years ago and ive had zero problems since.