Deleted

Deathknight AoE threat troubles

hey guys, im posting for a friend and he is realy struggling with threat on aoe fights. for example our tank setup is blood deathknight and prot warrior, both have pretty much the same item level. but our warrior would only have to use 1 thunder clap to completelly take aggro of our dk and there is no way he can take the aggro back unless he taunts or single targets an individual. i have seen his aoe rotation and its fine so i can only assume its a fault with his stats or glyphs? im not the best at deathknights and i have looked all over but cant find an issue. any feedback would really be appreciated cheers guys!

his name is Lickmycrity- emerald dream EU if you guys wanna have a look? thanks guys

Sounds like the warrior is just main tanking something that gives a lot of vengeance and the DK has none. DK aoe threat has some ramp up issues but pulling off with a single thunderclap either means the DK isn't getting vengeance or you greatly exaggerate and the Warrior is trying to pull aggro.

TBH without any logs or any prior knowledge I would guess the Warrior is trying to show off and top dps meters.

Moar blood boil kekeke.

He's spreading diseases right? Also yes vengeance might be part of it depending on fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It probably has something to do with Warrior threat being something like this:

- Hit Thunerclap
    - Get Vengeance from like every mob turning to hit you.
    - Shit sticks to you like glue from whatever other aoe threat generating stuff you hit in your next few GCDs.

For a DK however, it is more like this:
    - Apply Diseases to primary target.
    - Get vengeance from primary target.
    - Bloodboil to Spread Diseases (and maybe re-attract threat from the 2/3 of the pack which is now chewing on some DPS who decided to go balls deep right off the start)
    - Hit bloodboil AGAIN for maximum impact threat generation on everything with diseases now rolling on it.
    - Hope shit sticks to you because if you accidentally hit Bloodboil one too many times on a nasty pull trying to generate as much aggro as you can, you are going to possibly end up unable to deathstrike and maybe die.

It gets even worse if you maybe had to spend a GCD to deathstrike somewhere in the middle of all that to make sure you stay alive....

The difference is that a warrior only needs a single GCD fore thunderclap to generally get the attention of most stuff for at least long enough to establish lasting threat with the next 2 GCDs, where as DKs needs 2 GCDs just to apply and spread diseases, and then needs 3rd one to effectively generate the "initial" group aggro that a warrior gets on his first thunderclap. Dropping a bloodboil on the group without any diseases up at the beginning is possible, but almost pointless and likely a waste of a rune.

And what makes it even more fun is that unless you glyph for it / plan for it, on fights with fast spawning waves of trash, like Galrakis, an Unglyphed Outbreak wont even be up for every wave, meaning that you might need yet ANOTHER GCD to apply all your disease before spreading them, and a Glyphed Outbreak might not help if the wave ends up dying too fast and runic power depleetes far enough to prevent you from using it on the next wave...
    Last edited by Surfd; 2014-03-20 at 05:43 AM.

I actually started prioing HS over BB after spreading diseases, just because it pulled sod all threat. I'd rather have a few mobs on me than none.
    Maybe just get your Warrior to play it safe. Get your DK Hit/Exp capped if he isn't already, then it should be fine. He also has DRW as an option from time to time, and he really should be using it for the threat if there are problems there.

BB spam is amazing IF you get initial aggro, thus vengeance. However if this isn't the case, it can be really frustrating pulling multiple mobs off of other tanks.

And don't forget misdirects and what not, people may not think they're important, but if you have them and they're not being utilized then it's wasteful, especially if it's leading to these kind of issues.
    Last edited by Dessan; 2014-03-20 at 05:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing a fresh DK recently (WoD boost yay) and I did notice that playing a monk has spoiled me a little. DK just doesn't have the same degree of snap threat as my monk (or warrior) has and you do have to plan your DnD/Diseases/Blood Boils well. I've found when you don't have outbreak available and you simply just need to pick some shit up spamming a couple of blood boils is enough to get adds off of a DPS or healer but it's not going to let you win against another tank.

Have him drop DnD under the warrior while he's AoE tanking at all times its not a lot but its some threat building while not tanking. Don't use defensive CDs that cause you not to get hit before pulling the AE pack to help build vengeance when switching from a Boss to their adds. You can also do some talent switching that can help. Chillblains can be helpful to keep the adds that are running off closer to you. Gorefiend for when they try and get away. Also a few seconds prior to switch if its necessary have him call out for a slow down by the warrior. Also, you can just spam out BB and mash a CD, DKs have a ton, and not have to worry about a death strike if threat is really what you need. If dying isn't an issue switch in the DPS cleave trinket.

We had a problem when I was tanking in ToT it was a DK Warrior combo and our warrior's AE threat sometimes out of the gate could be tough to get passed. (warriors have been great tank wise this expansion) I would have to call out sometimes if my Rues/RP wasn't built up enough or something wasn't off CD and he would just slow up for a second.

Make sure your warrior isn't thunderclapping right before a switch etc. Its the little things that can help. And his DPS isn't causing wins I'm sure of that much. If its on the initial pull your tanks shouldn't be battling for threat on the same adds. In that case whoever gets all the adds to hit em first is always going to have the threat.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Have him drop DnD under the warrior while he's AoE tanking at all times its not a lot but its some threat building while not tanking. Don't use defensive CDs that cause you not to get hit before pulling the AE pack to help build vengeance when switching from a Boss to their adds. You can also do some talent switching that can help. Chillblains can be helpful to keep the adds that are running off closer to you. Gorefiend for when they try and get away. Also a few seconds prior to switch if its necessary have him call out for a slow down by the warrior. Also, you can just spam out BB and mash a CD, DKs have a ton, and not have to worry about a death strike if threat is really what you need. If dying isn't an issue switch in the DPS cleave trinket.

We had a problem when I was tanking in ToT it was a DK Warrior combo and our warrior's AE threat sometimes out of the gate could be tough to get passed. (warriors have been great tank wise this expansion) I would have to call out sometimes if my Rues/RP wasn't built up enough or something wasn't off CD and he would just slow up for a second.

Make sure your warrior isn't thunderclapping right before a switch etc. Its the little things that can help. And his DPS isn't causing wins I'm sure of that much. If its on the initial pull your tanks shouldn't be battling for threat on the same adds. In that case whoever gets all the adds to hit em first is always going to have the threat.
    Dont spread false information. You get the same vengance from mitigated damage! its better to pop a cd so you take less dmg so it is less likely you have to DS. You even tell him to use a CD later in the text for this exact reason. =)

if this is garrosh, well.. grabbing all adds and keeping them if you tank them ontop of the garrosh tank is pretty hard. But thats mainly cause of vengance. When I was a bit undergeared compared to the other tank, what we used to do was having me pull garrosh and then have the MT taunt garrosh after about 5 sec, before I went and picked up adds. this way you start out at way higher vengance, and should be able to build alot more threath on them before they are stacked in the middle.