Thread: Planet Fitness

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I went to planet fitness for a few months. I just don't like the lack of free weights. I'm in no way jacked or a "meathead" as they call em, but I would like to be able to do dumbell bench with more than 55lb dumbbells. Sure there is no judgement but things like pizza Fridays?? Now you're just being counter productive. I canceled and now do my workouts from home, much happier

I go to 24hr Fitness. I've never had anyone judge me, quite the opposite actually, most people are pretty encouraging regardless of your fitness level.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Of course those people exist; just because you don't see (and you said you don't frequent gyms) them doesn't mean they're not there. They may not be very common, but some gyms have them, definitely. Not that Planet Fitness isn't blatantly trying to target the people too afraid to see those people, but you're joking yourself if you think those people aren't out there. If you don't want to look for them at gyms then all you have to do is find the bro-er threads on BodyBuilding.com to observe them. Or just Google Zyzz.
    Sorry to quote you on something you said a few months ago but it stuck out for me when reading the thread. You appeared to suggest Zyzz was one of "those people" .. but I'm not sure why you think that. Here is what he wrote on the subject of exercise/gym intimidation:

"At the end of the day, I have respect for anyone who wants to make a change for themselves to start training and improving their body and health. In my opinion, the gym/training/dieting lifestyle is by far the most fun and rewarding way to live your life. The people that laugh at the overweight and obese people in the gym are a disgrace. I applaud them for having the courage and determination to train and want to make a change for themselves despite the obvious hardships they would face. At the end of the day, its all up to how much you want it yourself.

Some people don’t care that much, are happy with their bodies and its not a big issue for them. Good for them. But for anyone to take the piss out of and ridicule anyone trying their best to lose weight/gain muscle and make a change for themselves, especially if they are finding it hard due to their genetics makes me sick. If you want it, you will get it, and will eventually prove the haters wrong. And that is one of the best feelings a human being can experience."

Yes he acted a certain way online.. most of it wasn't serious.. but even his online persona wasn't one that mocked or made fun of others. Perhaps I misunderstood your post.. but I felt it was worth saying either way.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Check yard sales for hand weights, I got a full set for 5 dollars. Do cardio by jogging, never pay for a gym again.
    This^^

10 char

- - - Updated - - -

Funny story really.

Me and my buds decided to do some Euro training in a Planet fitness in my area.

Got kicked out, but totally worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Go to a gym that is frequented by people with a similar mindset for your fitness level.

If you want to go to a gym with pizza and bagel days, go to planet fitness. If you want a blend of violence and risk of death, go to crossfit.
    lol this ^

10+ Year Old Account
    I go to a tiny gym near my house, no 1 really talks to each other or judges and usually just act friendly. I never actually experienced judgmental people in gyms... even at my university gym.

Who the hell cares? The only thing that matters is that you're tired when you exit the damn building.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

I goto Planet Fitness (10$ a month ?!?! ) A gym is what you make of it not what everyone else makes of it. Ive never showed up on Pizza or Bagel day (for good reason), but in general most of the people I run into there are actually pretty fit. ( it could be because im living down south now up north it was filled with some larger folks) Our PF has a lot of weight lifting machines (never a line for those), ive only ever waited to use a bike everything else is on and off no wait. In the end though if your looking to bulk up and get real big, i would suggest goign to a gym with likeminded people. If your looking to add some muscle and stay fit PF is a great place for that. and cheap too!

edit... If your the type of person who made this thread or are more worried about other people PF probably isnt the gym for you. Kind of goes along with that whole judgement free zone thing.
    Last edited by ben-; 2014-06-04 at 04:38 PM. Reason: content

I don't see a big deal with Planet Fitness and their rules. I go there, never heard of pizza / bagel days until this thread. I also see really fit, and even big guys lifting, but for the most part everyone is friendly and nice without making a lot of unnecessary noise.

I am not amazingly fit, but for 10$, or 20$ a month you can't beat the price.

Aveline's amazing work!

I don't like planet fitness, 'no deadlifts' what kind of rule is that? It's one of the best exercises you can do for your body. I honestly find planet fitness more judgemental than going to a regular gym, if you go to a gym and ask questions people will normally be more than happy to help you.
    Last edited by worprz; 2014-06-04 at 05:15 PM.

Deleted
    I've quit going to the gym, its just to boring. I'm doing taiboxing now, much more fun and I've become fitter and musclier after 3 months then I ever was after 2 years of going to the gym

Nah broh, I don't lift, lifting is for the weak.

I go to 24hr Fitness, it's $25/mo, no contract, I would pay that for sauna, steam room, hot tub alone. I mostly do cardio and light crossfit/kettle bell type stuff. Sometimes water walking and swimming.

Once Im done with my cancer treatments, I plan to get back in and work towards a mild parkour level of fitness.
    Last edited by Lightwysh; 2014-06-04 at 05:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantJB View Post
    Spoken like a true bicep curler .
    Biceps are overrated I'l take good condition and agility over a huge bicep everyday of the week

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol planet fitness

I don't even go to a gym I start at home. You can get a full station online or at a garage sale for <150 dollars
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Gyms are lame anyway. I prefer "working out" to be more fun. Hiking, swimming, etc. I tried the whole gym thing, it is an attack to the senses. Running in place watching lame TV shows, smelling body odor everywhere, no thanks. I'd rather be outside, running through a beautiful trail in the woods, smelling the earth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    Gyms are lame anyway. I prefer "working out" to be more fun. Hiking, swimming, etc. I tried the whole gym thing, it is an attack to the senses. Running in place watching lame TV shows, smelling body odor everywhere, no thanks. I'd rather be outside, running through a beautiful trail in the woods, smelling the earth.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, not everyone has a good area to run around.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Lol planet fitness

I don't even go to a gym I start at home. You can get a full station online or at a garage sale for <150 dollars
    I dread weightlifting honestly. Only time I had enough drive to do it was when i was competitive in HS sports.

I love Cardio to death though. As a result, I've lost a modest amount of weight for my size since HS but i'm very weak for someone my size.

Not sure if it's been a good tradeoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every now and then i take a walk or job at the Long Beach boardwalk in long island NY, very safe area. I also i tend to go on hikes in Caumasset state park both of which are free and safe. ALso both are fucking beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't mind that, but I do mind the jerk at my downtown FFC right now that drops barbells with 300lbs on them from a foot up when he's done deadlifting. It's incredibly jarring and has made me almost drop my barbell.
    Especially since technically he's not completing the rep.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, not everyone has a good area to run around.
    I don't really care about everyone, I was referring to my personal experiences. Gyms suck.