Worried about temps 4770k, am I being paranoid?

I'll make it quick, using HWmonitor for these temps.
    4month old pc, 4770k no OC right now, tx3 evo cooler.

Idle, 4770k package 30degrees.
    While playing witcher 2, 50degrees max. (avg around 40ishdegrees)
    Prime95 LargeFFT's for 10minutes 64degrees max. (avg around 62degrees).

Cleaned out the dust few days ago, it just seems abit on the high end or is it completely normal?
    Googled around and just can't seem to get a clear answer.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2014-03-21 at 02:43 AM.

Deleted
    That is high, but please can you clarify what case and system cooling you have.

What are you mb temps showing at the same time, is it possible the system cooling just isn't getting hot air out of the case?

Not familiar with the heatsink but a googled review show a face rougher than the average acned teenager. Also, only the central heatpipe is in contact with the core on an i cpu, and the fit between alloy base and pipes looks a bit ropey? If the face of the sink has any machine or cast marks at all then give it a lap.

Remate the cpu and sink when done using as little thermal compound as you can get away with. It's objective is only to fill air gaps between what should be fairly flat surfaces. Ideally, utterly flat and lapped, a mere film of compound, or none. Besides the sink face, the heat spreader on the cpu won't be flat but I wouldn't suggest lapping this manually. Apply a piece of compound around the size of a grain of arborio rice to the very center of the cpu heat spreader, mate the surfaces and slide the sink about 0.5cm's in either direction along x and then around 0.75cm's along y (intel specific), then clamp it, most sinks can then be very lightly rotated a couple of degrees in either direction and your done.

Sorry for my outpouring of ocd, lol at getting passionate about heatsink mating, general and specifically for current Intel.

I guess you bought the rest of your kit with the intention of overclocking your K, if so you are definitely hot

edit - to say, having updated my mb bios I appear to be running 10c hotter than I was before. I'll take off my oc and see what I'm running at now, and which to trust, the joys of computers.
    Last edited by mmoc2991fac950; 2014-03-21 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're fine. That is not even remotely high.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    You're fine. That is not even remotely high.
    Even with no OC?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be more worried if it was hitting 80C when it has no OC, but without it's fine.

We don't know your ambient temperature, so there's little we can go off of. That said, the cooler that you're using is average at best, you're nowhere remotely close to max temps and a 34c delta from idle is quite normal at stock clocks.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    We don't know your ambient temperature, so there's little we can go off of. That said, the cooler that you're using is average at best, you're nowhere remotely close to max temps and a 34c delta from idle is quite normal at stock clocks.
    Honestly got no clue at my ambient room temperture its currently night and raining outside rofl, what air cooler would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Honestly got no clue at my ambient room temperture its currently night and raining outside rofl, what air cooler would you suggest?
    It really depends what you're looking to do overclocking wise, and more so how lucky you got in the silicon lottery. See how far you can push on your current cooler beforehand. If you can reach 4.2Ghz under 80c, you would be fine with something like a CM Evo to get to 4.4Ghz with similar temps or keep those 4.2 temps a decent bit lower. If you can't hit 4.2 under 80c, you'll need a monster like the DH-14 or a decent closed liquid cooler.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    It really depends what you're looking to do overclocking wise, and more so how lucky you got in the silicon lottery. See how far you can push on your current cooler beforehand. If you can reach 4.2Ghz under 80c, you would be fine with something like a CM Evo to get to 4.4Ghz with similar temps or keep those 4.2 temps a decent bit lower. If you can't hit 4.2 under 80c, you'll need a monster like the DH-14 or a decent closed liquid cooler.

Ok thanks, but so just to clarify the temps I am getitng right now is nothing to worry about and just normal?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Ok thanks, but so just to clarify the temps I am getitng right now is nothing to worry about and just normal?
    Absolutely normal.

Also keep in mind the following: Most motherboard fan controllers are not set to keep the cpu as low as possible. They are set to keep the cpu inside a certain temperature range and modify the fan rpm accordingly. So even with a high-end cooler you might see similar temps, the fan will just rotate slower. 60°C is usually the sweet spot. Unless your temps go above 70°C under load, your current cooler is not yet maxed out.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet