Deleted

On stuff flying around the web the past few weeks: A gamers statement.

Tbh, I could not be concerned less by whats been going on in these regards over the last few weeks, but I am currently bored and low on motivation to do actual work, so here are my simple thoughts on the matter.

All I see, are two parties of extremists, begging for attention on the internet, which, based on ones personal PoV is either hilarious or pathetic, or sad. Some may find it entertaining to watch, others, like me, are simply bored, and randomly read about it.

I am a gamer, why, because I enjoy videogames and play them, alot. That's it. I don't consider myself part of a "sub-culture" or "culture". If I am a carpenter, does that make me part of a woodworkers-subculture? No, it doesn't. Just as a Carpenter is primarily a regular guy, so am I. Do you know what makes people part of a culture? THEIR DESIRE TO PARTICIPATE IN IT. I know a nice girl who used to be a goth for a few years, because she enjoyed the hairstyles or whatever. Point is: Either people consciously decide to join your little club, or they don't. People should stop acting like they speak for/about everyone who ever played a videogame.

That being said...

If some random women I never heard of before calls me sexist, because there happen to be chainmail-smallclothes in a game I play, well, I simply don't care. Same, if a bunch of trolls threatens random people on the internet, I simply don't care. (Some may call that heartless, well: Wether or not I care about something, is my own decision. You simply don't get to tell me what I have to care about, easy as that) And if a bunch of "journalists" feels entitled to support one side or the other, I similarly don't care. In part because I don't consider most of these people journalists...the ability to write on a blog doesn't make you a Journalist, neither do likes on facebook. People are risking their very lives, as I write this, to get information from places like Syria to us, people are being threatened and detained for revealing the dirty secrets of politicians and companies...THAT'S journalism, gentlemen.

I know none of these people, they don't know me. I consider these past few weeks of shitstorms and counter-shitstorms an inevitable event in a system which claims to speak for ALOT of people who have never been asked about their opinions by said system, and which is fueled, paid and/or based on attention and the desire for it. The, kind of disappointing, conclusion, for myself that is, is once again: I don't care. And I don't know if I speak for others in this, but my personal opinion, and no I am not basing this on any kind of evidence, that's why its called an opinion is, that most people who play videogames also don't.

TL;DR: To bring a wall of text to its end, and no longer bore anyone: I guess more people have been watching todays episode of "Lords of War", than have cared about this ridiculous discussion.

Edit: As a hat-tip to MMOC: Thanks that you don't feature any of this nonsense on your Front-Page. I come here for information about WoW, and in those regards, you guys rock.

Peace, and game on.
    Last edited by mmoc486dcfca17; 2014-09-07 at 05:21 PM.

It's easy to not care when you don't really understand how deep-rooted the issue have become and how far these crazies have managed to push themselves into the gaming as a whole, to a point they can suppress and effectively blacklist people of differing opinions.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I appreciate your statements, but this sort of discussion belongs either in the GamerGate thread, or the similar thread in Off-Topic. If you'd like to pass along your feedback on MMOC's front page content, Bibi and Chaud would surely be grateful for your kind words.