Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The fact that this thread has gotten to page 4 without being locked or slammed down or anything should probably be evidence that criticism, so long as it is constructive and not useless/idiotic/insulting, is perfectly welcome on MMOC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungtah View Post
    Yeah the idea behind freedom of speech is dumb, let's just apply it where we legally have to.

Or not. I guess I'm not so egotistical to exclude anyone from my home for their thoughts or words.
    The Constitution of the USA does not apply here.
    IF any, then it's the French constitution... I believe Boub is French, and the forums are an international platform.
    And I exclude heaps of people from my home btw... In fact, I exclude the absolute overwhelming majority of the global population from it. I handpick those I invite to my home. Of those 7 billion people, I have about 20 ppl that can visit me at any given time. And about another 100 that are welcome under certain circumstances...
    And I have yet to meet anyone who lets just everyone walk into their home... lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Wildtree,

Both are censorship. The first, in your home, is legal. The second, the government censored, is, in the USA, illegal. Censorship is not always illegal. What censorship is is merely the blocking/silencing of speech, art or words. Nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
    Wildtree,

Both are censorship. The first, in your home, is legal. The second, the government censored, is, in the USA, illegal. Censorship is not always illegal. What censorship is is merely the blocking/silencing of speech, art or words. Nothing more.
    Yes, absolutely agreed
    But legally by the definitions and corresponding laws, this place is like a persons home.
    And the law treats it as such. If illegal content happens here, the forum owner is held responsible. Much like a home owner who allows illegal stuff happen in his house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    The fact that this thread has gotten to page 4 without being locked or slammed down or anything should probably be evidence that criticism, so long as it is constructive and not useless/idiotic/insulting, is perfectly welcome on MMOC.
    Also true...
    Most actively moderated forums do not allow threads regarding the moderation.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    It isn't really about the moderation, per se. I agree that they are actually kind of lax here. The question is, is it an *ideal* place for an honest discussion?
    There are some rules in the forum so you can't talk about everything you want and for example posts and threads will be locked or deleted if they contain info that can bring MMO Champ into trouble like the alpha leaks from cataclysm and other stuff. By reading and accepting these rules you already know that you can't have an honest and open discussion about certain things. In addition MMO Champ is part of the curse network and part of the official fansite network of WoW so there are additional rules for them that limit the topics you can talk about.

In the end you have to make some sacrifices but you make up for it with the very active community that will very often discuss things in a civilized way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    But legally by the definitions and corresponding laws, this place is like a persons home.
    Absolutely wrong, what you say in your home isn't available for millions of people to read. This is a public place.

It's funny how people will squawk about the constitution and not have a clue what it means and how it applies to situations.

Back on topic, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The Constitution of the USA does not apply here.
    IF any, then it's the French constitution... I believe Boub is French, and the forums are an international platform.
    No Constitution applies because the Constitution applies to the government.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    No Constitution applies because the Constitution applies to the government.
    That depends entirely on which Constitution is being discussed and the issue being discussed.

As to this being like a home, that is not exactly true. It is a place of business open to the public, which in the USA is kind of halfway between a home and the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozles View Post

My thoughts exactly. The entire thread is based on discussing Moderator action, which is against the terms of use on its own. Not to mention the flamebaiting and whining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    They never really did. And it's a passion of mine to get that changed. We need to focus from the very beginning on how to think properly, not what to think or what to know. Fallacy and logic should be simplified and introduced just as the alphabet and simple arithmetic is introduced. It's amazing how rampant hiding behind simple context has become in our culture, you can say a thing, and simply hide behind a tweak in context to dishonestly deny your original implication, and it's disturbing. What's more, people automatically seem to seek out the worse possible context they can in anyone they have opposition towards.

We need Superman.
    I agree. This ass backwards thinking is becoming way to popular for people living in this day and age. It's honestly scary.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Thinking about the OP's original question and then thinking about the Battlefield 4 forums I guess it all depends on what one considers open uncompromised discussions are. Folks are unhappy with BF4, it's got some annoying issues and one can choose to believe that EA and DICE don't care and are just milking the players. Is there any "real" discussions from being had from the folks who make a poorly written, profanity filled posts about how EA is evil and DICE is nothing but morons?

Half the posts over there don't seem to be about having a meaningful discussion about the game, the company and how things could be better. They mostly seem to be rants looking for "me too" with (I'm guessing) the goal of leading some massive rebellion against the game\EA\DICE. Of course, many of those types of posts are locked and\or deleted and then they person starts a new thread about the evil moderators and their censorship of valid complaints.

What I have noticed is, there are threads here and there, that as long as the thread stays semi civil, folks can talk about anything and everything. Once it devolves down to name calling, they tend to get locked. Is calling everyone who disagrees with your opinion "stupid idiots" really having a meaningful uncompromised discussion? What kind of uncompromised conversation is someone looking for when an opening statement of "Blizzard is nothing but a bunch of incompetent greedy morons! WoW sucks!"?
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2014-03-22 at 08:59 PM.

Yes. This thread would normally be locked by now, but moderators are trying to look good. That said, a lot of threads are mindless drivel so I can see why several threads would be locked.
    Stay salty my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Absolutely wrong, what you say in your home isn't available for millions of people to read. This is a public place.
    Are you really crying about censorship when you don't even have the basic understanding of public and private property?

"Accessible" does not translate to "public".

Put it this way, any criticism of how they moderate results in a quickly closed thread. If you have any issues with a moderator then you have to take it up with a ...moderator. This thread is open because it isnt a criticism of moderation, if it had even an inkling of one the thread would of been closed and you would be told to take it up with a moderator. Do you think there might ever be a thread closed because of some sort of bias? Is it possible?

Yeah I think there are times when threads are closed needlessly or people infracted on unequal terms but for a site that has something to gain and are tied with Blizzards fortunes, it hasnt been too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    My thoughts exactly. The entire thread is based on discussing Moderator action, which is against the terms of use on its own. Not to mention the flamebaiting and whining.
    Define and measure "Flamebaiting" and as others have mentioned, "Trolling".

Spoiler: You actually can't. Best of luck to anyone trying to enforce that with popular efficacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozles View Post
    It's funny how people will squawk about the constitution and not have a clue what it means and how it applies to situations.

Why? Did you expect a quick closure?

- - - Updated - - -

The one thing that grates my nerves about the MMOC forums is that there is usually a no tolerance rule in effect where any topics brought up complaining about moderation are very quickly closed. That is censorship from within a so-called private forum. The word forum usually does not go with the word private...usually. So we do have freedom to a degree, just do not ever bitch about any moderators or how threads are closed quickly at times when they shouldnt be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Are you really crying about censorship when you don't even have the basic understanding of public and private property?

"Accessible" does not translate to "public".
    No what we have is a difference of opinion. I will not take your opinion as fact.

No what we have is a difference of opinion. I will not take your opinion as fact.
    This is a privately owned site. FACT.

It feels like forum moderation here is meant to defend blizzard at every turn. Threads that blizzard and their developers won't like get locked quickly.
    It really is like the official forums. Yes, threads get deleted, but usually it is because people who are anti-something are much more likely to start multiple threads on that anti-topic.

OMG - Blizzard deleted 50 threads about flying restrictions.... they are trying to squelch the negativity. No, they are trying to make it so every moron doesn´t feel the need to start a thread when their opinions can be expressed in the other 50 threads that are still there.

I just think it is natural psychology.. people who are angry or hate something, are much less likely to follow forum guidelines. Therefore, the majority of threads that receive action are indeed, negative towards the game.