Saturation patrols, coming to a ski lodge near you.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...arsh-backlash/

This is the same state that made some random guy go through 50k worth of rectal exams because some officer friendly said he thought he had drugs.
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-03-23 at 01:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've edited the thread title, because the article is about saturation patrols, which aren't that different from a checkpoint on the road where they're pulling people over and looking for drunk drivers. Which has pretty much not a single thing to do with the "Stop and Frisk" program, which was an issue due to racial profiling.

While there's room for discussion on the subject, let's not leap straight to inflammatory alarmism.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I've edited the thread title, because the article is about saturation patrols, which aren't that different from a checkpoint on the road where they're pulling people over and looking for drunk drivers. Which has pretty much not a single thing to do with the "Stop and Frisk" program, which was an issue due to racial profiling.

While there's room for discussion on the subject, let's not leap straight to inflammatory alarmism.
    Ok I was under the impression that they were searching people in an area, which included cars. But youre right it looks like they were only searching cars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Ok I was under the impression that they were searching people in an area, which included cars. But youre right it looks like they were only searching cars.
    It's not even that it was just cars; they had drug-sniffing dogs, and they were looking for people who were drunk or using drugs. Because that area has a significant problem, and there had been a rash of complaints leading up to the program.

That's a far cry from stopping people on the street and frisking them for the crime of walking while black, which was the issue with Stop and Frisk.

That's not to say I agree with the program. But comparing the two is a bit silly and disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not even that it was just cars; they had drug-sniffing dogs, and they were looking for people who were drunk or using drugs. Because that area has a significant problem, and there had been a rash of complaints leading up to the program.

That's a far cry from stopping people on the street and frisking them for the crime of walking while black, which was the issue with Stop and Frisk.

That's not to say I agree with the program. But comparing the two is a bit silly and disingenuous.
    I think its the same principle though

Stop and Frisk was used in areas that were deemed high crime areas, the people that were searched were overwhelmingly black because the people in those areas were overwhelmingly black.

This program appears to be the result of community complaints about a certain area, the ski lodge. So the police just set up shop and searching cars and people in that area for drugs.

I guess the underlying factor is driving since legally driving a car gives police implied consent, while stop and frisk is just a targeted stop on people that aren't driving.

I find the idea of both pretty bad, but I can see how they are viewed as different issues.