Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Idea for the DK charge.

Mobility is our main weakness. Was thinking of a way to give us a charge that fit with our style and was fairly unique. Now this will sound very fan-fictiony, but listen and think about it. I was thinking it would be on about a 20-25 sec CD. Visually it would be like we kind of take on the appearance of one of the shadow priest apparitions and start floating towards our target at a fast pace for 2 seconds. I was thinking during this time if we don't get straight up immunity, I would hope for damage reduction and immune to CC while floating towards our target. Think of it thematically as turning into a shade, becoming ghostly and dropping our physical form, to get close to our target. Or if you want to think of it like Akuma's dash from Street Fighter.

I am not really cemented on the idea, I just want to hear what you guys think. Something you want? Faster charge? Do you want a 1 sec fear/root when the charge ends? Is this OP and I need to stop making ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no point in adding any mobility. With a lot of the crowd control being removed as well as adding a lot more casting for casters, it'd just be a bit too big of a step for Warlords, and even now it'd just add to the pile of shit. Besides, I'm fairly sure mobility is being reduced across the board (because of the removal of crowd control), so Death Knights and any other low mobility classes will be indirectly buffed anyway.

I think Death Knight mobility is fine considering the things they're able to do.
    Last edited by Blithe; 2014-03-24 at 11:06 PM.

I would think we could have some power, maybe not something like described, but like [Glyph of the Wraith Blade] which would enable your dancing rune weapon to "bridge the gap" while its active. Allowing you to use your melee abilities as if you were as close as your rune weapon. If you were being kited and could not death strike, you could pop DRW, and Death Strike immediately, ... giving you another option when Grip was down.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    There's no point in adding any mobility. With a lot of the crowd control being removed as well as adding a lot more casting for casters, it'd just be a bit too big of a step for Warlords, and even now it'd just add to the pile of shit. Besides, I'm fairly sure mobility is being reduced across the board (because of the removal of crowd control), so Death Knights and any other low mobility classes will be indirectly buffed anyway.

I think Death Knight mobility is fine considering the things they're able to do.
    I would like more mobility in PVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    There's no point adding any mobility, with a lot of crowd control being removed as well as adding a lot more casting for casters, it'd just add to the already large pile of shit. Besides, I'm fairly sure mobility is being reduced across the board (because of the removal of crowd control), so Death Knights (any any other low mobility classes) will be indirectly buffed anyway.
    This is sort of the major point of contention right now. When ranged classes have no loss having to get out of fire quickly, classes who don't have tools to do so start to feel overwhelmed in both PVE and PVP (Shadow priests are in a similar spot atm). Fights like, say, Garrosh are kind of punishing on DK's because there's a lot of running in/out of melee for whirls but not a lot of tools to get you there and back in a timely manner. It'd be neat if there was a glyph or something that caused Death grip to slingshot you to your target if your target is immune (or maybe just have the glyph always fling you to your target) but that's more of a PVE fix and not really a PVP changer.

The flavor of the DK (That makes him different from just being a warrior with some more magic) is that where the warrior dominates the battlefield by bringing the fight to his enemies, the DK forces his enemies to fight on his ground and his terms, by restricting enemy positioning and mobility. This gets out of hand when every rdps has two blinks/rolls/burning sprint, some capability to keep pressure up while moving, and a lot of tools to slide out of snares/roots/stuns/cc. Things like DnD, T90, and diseases enforce this, DnD and T90 give the dk a good incentive to keep his enemies where he wants them, and Diseases let him keep pressure up regardless of where his targets are.

If anything, I'd like to see more tools in the DK's kit to reduce their enemies ability to kite him, possibly by making the passive part of death's advance baseline, and improving the talent to still be competitive with the rest of the tier, but given that blizzard feels that DK's are pretty strong vs kiting because they've got a lot of tools that work at range, I'm not holding my breath. (along with reduction of silences and removal of disarm, things might get interesting.)

OP's suggestion has the distinct disadvantage that it'd likely be gamed to avoid major raid mechanics, blinking you out to reduce damage. It'd be pretty useless as a gap closer because the time spent drifting at the pace of a apparition is time you could be closing the gap with Coil/Howling Blast/Outbreak/etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    "It'd be neat if there was a glyph or something that caused Death grip to slingshot you to your target if your target is immune"

I've wanted this for years now. Kinda given up hope at this point but one can always wish.

This. Death Grip isn't entirely viable as alot of mobs are immune to it, + you'll grip the target away from other melee if you ended up far away.

"It'd be neat if there was a glyph or something that caused Death grip to slingshot you to your target if your target is immune"

I've wanted this for years now. Kinda given up hope at this point but one can always wish.
    I've suggested this a fair few times now. Still having my fingers crossed.

Sorry but I think the "slingshot grip" that has been floated for years now is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. If you want to charge go play a warrior.

The game needs less homogenization, not more. Let's say we give DKs slingshot grip. Well, now we have to sacrifice regular grip to get that, obviously. Now, one could argue, it's not really fair to let DKs have so many ranged spells because they can already charge, so let's nerf the range on howling blast/death coil. Seems fair, since Monks and Warriors don't get to have substantial ranged pressure with their gap closers. But at this point, what are we if not a warrior with a 1 sec GCD and no banners? It's stupid, you kill the flavor of what a DK is just because of charge envy.

I see the gripe in pve, that's legit. It's fair to say that our ranged capabilities usually aren't as good as a warriors snap mobility. But here's the thing: that's ok. Classes are more interesting when they have strengths and weaknesses. If you think warriors don't have a downside to balance their mobility (and I wouldn't disagree) that's a warrior issue not a DK issue. I'd much rather see our strengths played up (ranged spells, diseases, nullifying CC) rather than kill our flavor just for the sake of being like a warrior.
    Last edited by Zynx; 2014-03-25 at 02:34 PM.
    My style is rich, dope, phat; in which we'll bake a cake today that looks rich.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    This could be another "morbid feedback" topic; the L58 talent tier.

Death's Advance is the de facto choice for, well, everybody.

- PvP: People choose Death's Advance in PvP because it's awesome.
    - PvE: People choose Death's Advance because the two alternatives are even worse.

I believe Death's Advance should be changed for PvE purposes. The activated sprint effect should be buffed to at least 50% and the cooldown increased to match.

Asphyxiate is another ability that's only sexy in PvP, and even there most players choose Death's Advance. Asphyxiate has no real place in PvE. I didn't even choose it in Challenge Modes. (I'm sure someone is going to come up with a super-situational example now. Go for it. But my point stands.) Asphyxiate needs some PvE component to be attractive in comparison to even the 5.0 "just OK" Death's Advance.

Chilblains is very powerful but completely situational in PvE. Much like Asphyxiate, PvPers would love to have Chilblains but usually choose Death's Advance. Much like Asphyxiate, Chilblains deserves some sort of PvE-useful change or passive component.

Examples of what I mean?

Death's Advance
    Instant 50 sec cooldown
    You passively move 10% faster, and movement-impairing effects may not reduce you below 70% of normal movement speed.

When activated, you gain 80% movement speed and may not be slowed below 100% of normal movement speed for 4 seconds.

Chilblains
    Your Frost Fever heals you for 2% of your maximum health when it deals damage. This effect can only occur once every two seconds.

Victims of your Frost Fever disease are Chilled, reducing movement speed by 50% for 10 sec, and your Chains of Ice immobilizes targets for 3 sec.

Asphyxiate
    30 yd range
    Instant 30 sec cooldown
    Lifts an enemy target off the ground and crushes their throat with dark energy, stunning them for 5 sec. Functions as a silence and reduces your damage taken from AE effects by 50% for 10 sec if the target is immune to stuns.

Replaces Strangulate.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2014-03-25 at 03:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Getting 'reverse grip' hardly destroys the flavour of the class. Homogenization is propably the worst excuse for having terrible mobility. This is from PvE PoV. Make reverse grip not work in PvP? Not that it would change much, normal DG is propably better since you can use it to LoS people. And if they add the glyph nobody's forcing you to use it if you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zynx View Post
    Let's say we give DKs slingshot grip. Well, now we have to sacrifice regular grip to get that, obviously.
    I would say putting it in a glyph and then making it so you either move yourself, of the target, is a great choice/compensation. Wouldn't lose anything

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    I would say putting it in a glyph and then making it so you either move yourself, of the target, is a great choice/compensation. Wouldn't lose anything
    Would be neat if that was baseline, actually, since you can always deathgrip players (except frost DKs with glyphed pillar, I guess). That would make DG useful on bosses.

It would def make it useful for dps DK's as well, since we normally glyph out of the taunt portion of it anyways. Start of a pull being able to grip yourself right up under the boss would be lovely

The taunt should be baseline for blood only, and glyphed for frost/unholy. Something like this.

Death Grip (Blood)
    35 yd range
    Instant 25 sec cooldown
    Harness the unholy energy that surrounds and binds all matter, drawing the target toward the Death Knight and forcing the enemy to attack the Death Knight for 3 sec. If the target is immune to external movement effects, the Death Knight is instead pulled to the enemy.

Glyph of Sure Grip (Blood)
    Your Death Grip spell no longer taunts the target.

Death Grip (Frost/Unholy)
    35 yd range
    Instant 25 sec cooldown
    Harness the unholy energy that surrounds and binds all matter, drawing the target toward the Death Knight. If the target is immune to external movement effects, the Death Knight is instead pulled to the enemy.

Glyph of Sure Grip (Frost/Unholy)
    Your Death Grip spell forces the enemy to attack you for 3 sec.

I have never seen a single DK, EVER, who chose Death's Advance in PVP.

Whether I was right about that or not (and OK, I wasn't) doesn't matter. My point was about PvE.

DK charge.... No.

Just No.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only kind of charge I'd want is making it so using death grip on a target that's permanently immune to its effects (i.e, a boss) yanks you to the target. We don't need any "additional" mobility in, say, PvP... a select few other classes just need less.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I generally agree, although with goblin jump/rocket boots/glider/DA it's only a major issue on intermittent movement like every 20 seconds or so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    I generally agree, although with goblin jump/rocket boots/glider/DA it's only a major issue on intermittent movement like every 20 seconds or so.
    As a non-goblin, non-engineer death knight, those really don't help much.