Thread: The Titan Z

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    spammers are getting better, at least this one is on topic, but no, the Geforce name means gaming
    You madam, are silly.

If any of you payed attention to the specs you'll see.

Huang didn't spend too much time on the Titan Z, but he did showcase a prototype of the card and gave us some specifications. The Titan Z remains targeted at the high-end scientific audience and will retain at least double-precision FP functionality. The limited specs we've been given are as follows:

The Titan Z is not intended for mainstream consumer or gaming use; its specs are indicative of its target toward the scientific and research community.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1372...eynote-maxwell

Just because it has GeForce GTX in the name doesn't auto mean gaming. Sure it can be used for gaming by enthusiasts, but it's not the sole purpose for the card's existence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Communism View Post
    You madam, are silly.

Huang didn't spend too much time on the Titan Z, but he did showcase a prototype of the card and gave us some specifications. The Titan Z remains targeted at the high-end scientific audience and will retain at least double-precision FP functionality. The limited specs we've been given are as follows:

The Titan Z is not intended for mainstream consumer or gaming use; its specs are indicative of its target toward the scientific and research community.

Just because it has GeForce GTX in the name doesn't auto mean gaming. Sure it can be used for gaming by enthusiasts, but it's not the sole purpose for the card's existence.
    The problem that NVidia have here is that they themselves have spent so long dividing the GPU market into GeForce for gaming and Quadro for computations that the TITAN Z sounds like a weird Japanese mecha animé, rather than a graphics card. In addition, they've positioned this card at the low-end of scientific computation. The main issue is that this is a compute card with a gaming branding. It's also a great deal more expensive than most consumers will have for their full systems.

So, IMO, it is foolish in the extreme for NVidia to release this unless there's something else going on.

Deleted
    They do wish some gamers with more cash than sense to buy the card, since it surely is highly profitable at that price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Communism View Post
    You madam, are silly.

um no, the titan would have ECC memory if it was intented for compute

it is intended for people like me who will spend more on something just to have a rare or special part

it is intended for people like me who will spend more on something just to have a rare or special part
    I hope you don't. Why not just buy Titan Blacks? You have x79 and the perfect case to facilitate it.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account

Now why would you do that?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I hope you don't. Why not just buy Titan Blacks? You have x79 and the perfect case to facilitate it.
    the only way im getting a set of Titan-Z's is if 6 grand magically falls in my lap,

but i've been already planning on 3X Titan Blacks, its just a matter of deciding between them or holding out for the 800 series

10+ Year Old Account

but i've been already planning on 3X Titan Blacks, its just a matter of deciding between them or holding out for the 800 series
    I doubt you'd have any trouble running any game at the very highest settings on a 1440p screen with Quad SLI 690 I'd wait for the 800 series tbh.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    I doubt you'd have any trouble running any game at the very highest settings on a 1440p screen with Quad SLI 690 I'd wait for the 800 series tbh.
    i don't have trouble currently, and 690quad SLI runs amazingly well, which is why i have yet to upgrade, most of the time you can't even tell that SLI is enabled, only games that are flat out buggy with SLI show problems (audiosurf, skyrim)

but im also planning on getting 3 of the RoG G-sync monitors, and the 2GB frame buffer on the 690s is simply not enough

Every geforce card like a 660, 780 orsomething has ECC memory.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Are there even games out there that would push a single 780ti card to its max? I've been out of the loop for quite awhile with the cards since I bought my 560ti (which runs games quite well), but it seems like buying these newer cards are complete overkill.

As far as I remember, not even the Titan has ECC memory.

Edit: "With that said, there is a catch. NVIDIA has stripped GK110 of some of its reliability and scalability features in order to maintain the Tesla/GeForce market segmentation, which means Titan for compute is left for small-scale workloads that don’t require Tesla’s greater reliability. ECC memory protection is of course gone, but also gone is HyperQ’s MPI functionality, and GPU Direct’s RDMA functionality (DMA between the GPU and 3rd party PCIe devices). Other than ECC these are much more market-specific features, and as such while Titan is effectively locked out of highly distributed scenarios, this should be fine for smaller workloads." Taken from the anandtech review of the GTX Titan.

So for those that were arguing that they're not trying to market the card to gamers, I present to you the official Titan Z product / announcement page: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...ce-gtx-titan-z

Two GPUs, One Insane Graphics Card: Introducing the GeForce GTX TITAN Z.

GeForce GTX TITAN Z

GeForce GTX TITAN Z is a gaming monster, built to power the most extreme gaming rigs on the planet. With a massive 5760 cores and 12 GB of 7 Gbps GDDR5 memory, TITAN Z gives you truly amazing performance—easily making it the fastest graphics card we’ve ever made.

This is a serious card built for serious gamers. TITAN Z is designed with the highest-grade components to deliver the best experience – incredible speed and cool, quiet performance—all in a stunningly crafted aluminum case.

If you’re looking for the ultimate in gaming power, GeForce GTX TITAN Z is your card. Arriving April.
    Not a SINGLE reference to professional use.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Every geforce card like a 660, 780 orsomething has ECC memory.
    This is absolutely not true. FirePro, Quadro and Tesla are the only cards that have ECC.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-03-28 at 04:51 PM.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    This is absolutely not true. FirePro, Quadro and Tesla are the only cards that have ECC.
    Yeah you're right: http://files.meetup.com/1774957/NVID...TX%20Titan.pdf

Not sure why I've heard JJ from Asus saying there's ECC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmqQTzMRBg @ 17:45

Have seen hardware.info lately reporting ECC as well: http://be.hardware.info/reviews/5257...genklok-zoeken
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

They may use it in certain third party cards for whichever reason and just disable the ECC functionality.

build pics

Deleted
    necro yes, but thought this link is of interest

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...&postcount=112

the poster for that is the owner to OCUK

Deleted
    From my understanding it performs worse than a 295x while costing more than double.

Main reason is I think, low clockspeeds and high temps.

Deleted
    yep, but the cards exist and with retailers :P, at least with OCUK anyways.

didnt realise they made it to the retailers, just the indefinite delay, so a surprise to see a fully boxed retail one ready to go.

so things are interesting at the least from here.

Well, it has a listing on Amazon for a lovely $4000. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8J53H8/
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I wouldn't bother with the comments as they are all just people being stupid. Reminds me of the comments people left on those stupidly expensive HDMI cables :\
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.