Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

"How am I supposed to get gear"

I hear this a lot from players who just dinged.

These players tend to get flamed because it is usually the case that one
    very poorly geared player will cause an entire team to lose in the smaller
    bg's. This ignores an important point I feel: bg's are a terrible way to gear
    up for pvp, ironically. It is not really in the interest of the freshly-dinged
    to grind honour through bg's.

The only time pure PVP is the best route to honour grinding is at the start
    of the season. Later in the season the smaller bg's should be avoided till
    you have better gear.

There's a number of issues here:

1) Firstly, there's a difference between mediocre pve gear and awful pve
    gear. The gear you have when you ding is just not good enough to do
    anything. Two hours on TI gives you enough stats to at least be helpful
    in a 2 vs 1 situation.

2) There are other ways to grind honour, Krasang Wilds rares for example
    and Isle of Thunder quests. You are going to get way more honour per hour
    doing those than playing pvp early on.

3) Now, you shouldn't avoid PVP altogether because certain bg's like Isle
    and AV are not that strongly affected by one poor player, you are just
    one guy out of 40. I've never understood why, when you get an AV or Isle
    call of arms, you still see cata-geared players in warsong gulch.

4) Certain class abilities make certain bg's more attractive so focus on
    those. For example, classes with knockback abilities can make a real
    difference in Eots. Mages with whatever ilvl are useful in Strand Of The
    Ancients.

5) By the same token Strand and Isle have important roles for vehicle
    drivers/gunners that require no gear at all. When a well-geared player
    has to jump in a tank that means their dps or healing does not benefit
    the rest of the team, you really help by filling that role.
    Please make sure you know what to do with the vehicle though: Isle
    of Conquest is often lost entirely because of incompetent glaive drivers.

6) Also consider whether you might have a more enjoyable experience
    crafting gear or farming to generate cash for it on the auction house.

Deleted
    A proper match making system for Random BG's would fix gearing / imbalance issues .....

Well if I want honor i go tank spec or find a tank to grind fast some hc dungeons and then change 4k JP for 2k honor.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to gear up for pvp, all you have to do is

1) Do the pvp dailies out on the thunder isle ( 10 mins of work yields about 600 + Honor and 50 Con )
    2) Win of the Day ( again about 400-500 Honor and 125 Con )
    3) Wintergrasp ( 500-600 Honor Here )
    4) Tol Barad ( Another 500 Honor )
    5) Karasang Wilds Rares ( 300 Honor for First Kill of the Day )

Doing just these everyday will be all you need to gear up for pvp ( All of these takes about 1 hour of time in all to do )

Hope this Helps Someone Cheers

Deleted
    Do what Littlepinch said, I do that everytime I have to gear my characters and it doesn't take that long at all. Also, I dislike spamming HC's for Honor, it just feels so stupid. Oh, also, buy a guild standard! If you put it down before winning WG/TB/completing Isle of Thunder quests you get a significant boost in Honor.

Keep in mind that random BGs are the PVP equivalent of random dungeons. They are there for base-level gearing, and for enjoyment. I agree that there are other ways to augment your PVP gear that are far less painful than getting wrecked over and over by full honor/conquest geared characters, but randoms are still the lowest level of PVP supported by Blizzard. I queue for randoms all the time, and while it is frustrating to get placed in a really weak/undergeared team, players tend to focus on this and overlook those times when you are placed in a really strong team that completely dominates the game.

Honestly, I know it is frustrating to get into a random and see a bunch of people with 350k HP, but expecting everyone to be in full honor/conquest is like joining a 5man dungeon and expecting to see everyone in heroic raid gear.

I used to do the Dungeon Farm, but then I figured out that just going into BG's with my PVE gear, I actually had more survivability and wrecked people anyway. I do better without PVP gear than I do with.

so in response to littlepinch's post, that makes perfect sense, and even the most casual can get some honor every day, spending 1-2 hours (well maybe longer depending on travel time etc) can net you ~2500 honor and 150 conq for easy peasy quests and winning bgs/wg/tb once a day, i mean how much easier can that get?

if you start in the morning and do those things listed, top off a few more bgs, maybe till u get to 3k, then go about doing whatever, come next day, do same thing...in 7 days of this routine thats 21k honor...1 week and you have all pvp pieces, even the frills, so not sure what everyone's problem is when it comes to gathering the gear, if you cant spend 1-2 hours a day doing simple things, put a little effort into it, goes a long ways

Also this is a great easy way to get the pvp mounts for mount collectors

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post

1) Do the pvp dailies out on the thunder isle ( 10 mins of work yields about 600 + Honor and 50 Con )

Doing just these everyday will be all you need to gear up for pvp ( All of these takes about 1 hour of time in all to do )

Hope this Helps Someone Cheers
    I forgot about TB and Wintergrasp. A bit boring, but just hanging out in Wintergrasp is fun, one of the most beautiful
    places in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I used to do the Dungeon Farm, but then I figured out that just going into BG's with my PVE gear, I actually had more survivability and wrecked people anyway. I do better without PVP gear than I do with.
    At lower level yes. You'll get destroyed without pvpower at max level.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2014-03-26 at 03:33 PM.

Also, Venture Bay PvP dailies (200 honor + guild/banner bonuses).

If you can do Vault of Archavon those bosses also give honor (25 moreso than 10).

And, of course, JP => honor conversion.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Does people play wintergrasp and tol barad these days?

Quote Originally Posted by roostah View Post
    Does people play wintergrasp and tol barad these days?
    For some value of "play". Tol Barad sees more PvP.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    I miss how WG was in WotLK, those fights were so awesome and cool

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    Keep in mind that random BGs are the PVP equivalent of random dungeons. They are there for base-level gearing, and for enjoyment. I agree that there are other ways to augment your PVP gear that are far less painful than getting wrecked over and over by full honor/conquest geared characters, but randoms are still the lowest level of PVP supported by Blizzard. I queue for randoms all the time, and while it is frustrating to get placed in a really weak/undergeared team, players tend to focus on this and overlook those times when you are placed in a really strong team that completely dominates the game.

Honestly, I know it is frustrating to get into a random and see a bunch of people with 350k HP, but expecting everyone to be in full honor/conquest is like joining a 5man dungeon and expecting to see everyone in heroic raid gear.
    I don't expect people to be in pvp gear, but someone joining a 10-man bg in cata gear is just wasting their time and mine.

This is a separate issue but I gear up exclusively through normal bg's. The excessive restrictions on arena/rbg bore me to tears.

Some corrections, since I've been doing these for alts in the past few weeks.

2. You have to win first, and the standard bonus is just 270 honor. The actual final honor you get depends on which BG you actually won; if you chain lose BGs it turns into wasteful time.
    3. Wintergrasp is pathetic honor gains; the weekly quests are 75 Honor apiece and the victory honor is only around 150 + 20 per tower still up/taken down depending if you're attacking or defending. Sometimes when you're attacking you don't even fulfill the Protect siege weapons requirement (you only really need to destroy one wall and the gate at minimum). The only reason you want this place is so you can go into VoA and kill the bosses for Honor (10 man mode you get around 150 honor).
    4. Tol Barad also has a Weekly that gives out 300 Honor for winning. Even if you lose Tol Barad you still get 150 Honor; this place is worth doing every time. Every tower destroyed when you're attacking is +20 honor.
    5. Krasarang Rares give 275 Honor apiece, and there's three of them. 825 Honor/day and this is probably the single biggest contribution toward Honor per week you can get.

Finally, Venture Bay gives around 220 Honor for doing all four dailies, but the bomb one is so obnoxious I tend to skip this (doubly so if you're a monk, since you can auto-parry the mobs while you're rounding them up).
    Last edited by arcaneshot; 2014-03-27 at 01:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I enjoy camping filthy alliance in my PvE gear when on the isle of thunder. Made 100 honour from killing one person over and over again at one point, he eventually logged off though.

Quote Originally Posted by gixer66 View Post
    A proper match making system for Random BG's would fix gearing / imbalance issues .....
    And would dramatically increase queue times

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gixer66 View Post
    And by this you mean what? 4 geared players vs 8 that are not so geared?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Shit doesn't take that long easiest way I found to farm honor is get 2 people or be a hunter farm the 3 pvp mobs as you are queued for a BGs and it goes quickly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarius View Post
    And by this you mean what? 4 geared players vs 8 that are not so geared?
    LOL - Nope that isn't exactly what I had in mind. But if that what floats your boat then why not.