Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The n-word lost it's meaning but is somehow still considered racism

I was listening to some R. Kelly on the way home (this one if you want to know -click-) and the amount of n-words got me thinking. Why is the word still considered "racism" when coming out of a whites mouth (or anything besides a black person) but it's not when a black person says it? Also, why do they chose to use a derogatory word to associate themselves with? I haven't seen any whites calling themselves crackers, Asians calling themselves chinks or Mexicans calling themselves wetbacks. So what's this about?

Martin Luther King fought for equality and to abolish that word so that not a single black person would have to ever hear that word again. Yet it seems to be the only word in their vocabulary together with the sentence "If you know what I mean?". I'm pretty sure he's crying in his grave right now at the current situation.

In any case, the n-word has pretty much lost it's meaning a long time ago. It no longer refers to blacks as lesser creatures but instead is used to say to your good friends (preferably black, but other races can be called the n-word too apparently). The historical background kind of vanished if you know what I mean.

But why is the stigma of racism staying around whenever it's called out by anything other than one of black descent? Thoughts on this?

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-03-27 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    I was listening to some R. Kelly on the way home (this one if you want to know -click-) and the amount of n-words got me thinking. Why is the word still considered "racism" when coming out of a whites mouth (or anything besides a black person) but it's not when a black person says it? Also, why do they chose to use a derogatory word to associate themselves with? I haven't seen any whites calling themselves crackers, Asians calling themselves chinks or Mexicans calling themselves wetbacks. So what's this about?

Martin Luther King fought for equality and to abolish that word so that not a single black person would have to ever hear that word again. Yet it seems to be the only word in their vocabulary together with the sentence "If you know what I mean?". I'm pretty sure he's crying in his grave right now at the current situation.

In any case, the n-word has pretty much lost it's meaning a long time ago. It no longer refers to blacks as lesser creatures but instead is used to say to your good friends (preferably black, but other races can be called the n-word too apparently). The historical background kind of vanished if you know what I mean.

But why is the stigma of racism staying around whenever it's called out by anything other than one of black descent? Thoughts on this?
    Because words used in different contexts have different connotations, and sometimes entirely different meanings.

If a woman at work offends me and I call her a bitch, I might be rightfully accused of sexism. In fact, throwing that word around might not always be the best idea. However, if I say jokingly say "bitch please" to my girlfriend, nobody is going to be offended.

Why did you avoid saying the word nigger and then go on to say all the others uncensored? Maybe you don't actually feel it has lost all its meaning, that it is worse somehow.

While I do agree with you (and people are way oversensitive today), at the same time words can be used to hurt and belittle, and to great effect depending on how they're used and on how the recipient takes them. I guess it's best not to use some of them if you're unsure whether or not it's appropriate.

Edit: To paraphrase Louis C.K, When you say "the n-word" you're putting the word nigger into the listener's/reader's head. it's redundant and I wish people wouldn't do that. Just say the word that is the centre of the bloody topic.
    Last edited by Amat; 2014-03-27 at 05:16 PM.

You've got an implicit stigma for racism instilled in the word nigger. You can't even say it. (or type it even) In any case I mostly hear the adjunct "nigga" pronunciation which when I was growing up was frequently used for friend/brother/dawg/homie/etc. So I use it and say it for that purpose.

There's a Louis CK bit about the "n-word", I find really funny (and relevant)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The reason it's still considered racist is because it's a racist word. Yes, there are a lot of African Americans who use the word. There are also a lot that hate hearing it out of anyone's mouth and feel like it only hinders their progress. The only people who use it are people who are racist. Either racist African Americans or other racists against African Americans. Everyone else hates the word and refuses to use it.
    I don't think the argument that you devalue the word by making a part of everyday friendly slang is completely without merit.

Depend show you use it in a sentence and most of mmo-champion won't understand it because they aren't black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I blame the english language for borrowing words from other languages and corrupting them. In Spanish blacks call themselves negros non-blacks call them negros and no one gets mad negro means black. No racism and no over-sensitivity. (except in very politically correct countries with few black members where they call them morenos because they feel negro is offensive.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    Depend show you use it in a sentence and most of mmo-champion won't understand it because they aren't black.
    What's with the notion that others can't understand something because they're not black or a minority bla bla?

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amat View Post
    Why did you avoid saying the word nigger and then go on to say all the others uncensored? Maybe you don't actually feel it has lost all its meaning, that it is worse somehow.

While I do agree with you (and people are way oversensitive today), at the same time words can be used to hurt and belittle, and to great effect depending on how they're used and on how the recipient takes them. I guess it's best not to use some of them if you're unsure whether or not it's appropriate.

Edit: To paraphrase Louis C.K, When you say "the n-word" you're putting the word nigger into the listener's/reader's head. it's redundant and I wish people wouldn't do that. Just say the word that is the centre of the bloody topic.
    I agree with this thought. I think the biggest factor on how the word is interpreted is mainly context. If I say "my nigga" it's taken completely differently than "that nigger" as the intention behind saying it is completely different.

I guess whites/blacks are just like men/women. There are just some differences that can't be denied. We are expected to treat women differently, I don't see why there can't be some rules to how we treat/handle different races as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    What's with the notion that others can't understand something because they're not black or a minority bla bla?

Because your privilege obviously blinds you.

Reiterating the "context" bit. I'm a (very) white female who grew up in the south, so I've heard it both ways. As a matter of fact, I was sitting in Geometry class one day, when the guy next to me for some reason dared me to use the word. Well there was a black football player next to him, and without a beat I turned to the guy and was like, "'Sup nigga?" and bumped fists with dude, shocking the hell out of the first guy. I'm like, "What? You can say anything to anyone as long as you are within the company of people who accept you."

Now, if you get all pissed off and call someone a straight up nigger, that hard R at the end somehow sums up all the racism and anger that the word has come to represent for the past few hundred years. And a person's colour doesn't matter in the end. The word itself is meant to represent any person (although primarily black) that you regard with contempt. I've yelled it a few times at white people during road rage or when describing a REALLY bad person. But only in very close company, and even the blacks in that mixed company understood my context and knew me well enough to know I wasn't regarding race. But the word itself will almost always bring to mind a black person for a person hearing it without knowing the context of the conversation.

Of course, let me try to explain that to some member of the NAACP, and I would get my ass handed to me.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still find it weird that things like honky/cracker/chinks/other minority "racist" words were actually words MADE-UP to be derogatory.

Yet Nigger was originally just a "word" but somewhere in the 20th century they took a word which just meant Black in a different Language and made it out to be the worst possible thing you could ever called someone that was Black.

It would be like White people raging because people started calling us "Albus" (which is a Latin derivative of White).

We can get called Crackers and Honky's or White trash in public and on TV or well anywhere, but god forbid we call someone a Nigger.

I guess it is because white people as a whole don't care that we are called racist things, I've never once been called a cracker or something of the like and thought "I AM EXTREMELY UNSETTLED BY THIS!", I generally just laughed at it.

Though the fact Black people use "Nigga" as a term of endearment between themselves but are instantly outraged when anyone else says it just goes to show they are keeping the word around simply to have something to be angry about.

But hey I'm white, so I can't point out logical things to do with racism.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

If your not black and really really think this is true why dont you do an experament. Walk up to a black person you dont know and give it try, then come back in here and let us know how that worked out please. Better yet record it so we can watch the reaction of the stranger you are going to be speaking with. Cant wait to see/hear how it goes for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    I still find it weird that things like honky/cracker/chinks/other minority "racist" words were actually words MADE-UP to be derogatory.

Yet Nigger was originally just a "word" but somewhere in the 20th century they took a word which just meant Black in a different Language and made it out to be the worst possible thing you could ever called someone that was Black.
    ...and "Cracker" is just a word that means someone who cracks something. The origin of a word and what it ends up meaning are not the same thing. Words become derogatory because people use them that way.

It would be like White people raging because people started calling us "Albus" (which is a Latin derivative of White).
    Yet here you are, complaining about the word "cracker".

We can get called Crackers and Honky's or White trash in public and on TV or well anywhere, but god forbid we call someone a Nigger.
    And black people get called thugs and numerous other coded words. You seem to think that only the strongest racial slur is the one that matters.

I guess it is because white people as a whole don't care that we are called racist things, I've never once been called a cracker or something of the like and thought "I AM EXTREMELY UNSETTLED BY THIS!", I generally just laughed at it.
    You seem to care quite a bit.

Though the fact Black people use "Nigga" as a term of endearment between themselves but are instantly outraged when anyone else says it just goes to show they are keeping the word around simply to have something to be angry about.
    Or the word has multiple meanings depending on context. When someone ask sfor a box of crackers, do you think they mean a white slur?

But hey I'm white, so I can't point out logical things to do with racism.
    Because nothing screams racial tolerance like an incredible degree of over-defensiveness about being called a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Because your privilege obviously blinds you.
    Exactly. I think most of you are failing to see just how prevalent racism continues to be in America, and probably the world.

Because he is Black and therefore can say whatever he wants and its still cool, if a white person says it their career is ended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Because words used in different contexts have different connotations, and sometimes entirely different meanings.

If a woman at work offends me and I call her a bitch, I might be rightfully accused of sexism. In fact, throwing that word around might not always be the best idea. However, if I say jokingly say "bitch please" to my girlfriend, nobody is going to be offended.

Sure this is true as well, but what the OP is saying is more like double standards. Which is very true when it comes to our disgustingly politically correct society. If blacks are offended by the word then them saying it to each other is just completely hypocritical, not a matter of context. When they know damn well in what context the word is used. I mean I still hear black people insulting other blacks by calling them 'house niggers,' honestly what the hell is this 1860s.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I think this is relevant
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

Oh yeah..lots of c and f words too

Haha yeah I love that one, Louis C.K. is one of the last funny comedians. Not that this is relevant but did you know he actually grew up in Mexico City and his dad is apparently Mexican. I only mention it because when it was brought up on a radio show the guy interviewing him where like WTF they couldn't believe that there are white Mexicans.
    Last edited by Fullmetal89; 2014-03-27 at 05:45 PM.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    This.
    /10chars

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do Americans say "the n-word" and "the f-word"? If you want to say nigger and fuck, just say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.