Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

So, about stats....

Sorry if this is a rather noobish question, but I never took Diablo itemization serious beyond what it took to take out normal then nightmare mode prior to RoS, so I never looked into taking into account extra bonuses. Here's my question:

If I have some gloves that have 285 Int on them with +15% disintegrate damage and then I find some gloves with 301 Int and NO bonus to disintegrate damage, would that make the latter pair of gloves superior? Since it's only a 15% boost and that gets covered by the 16 extra int?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think the 16 int would be worth more, yeah. but really it's all bout that Crit Hit Damage <3

Been wondering about that myself...

My 2 main skills are Disintegrate and Black Hole (both Arcane), and I have a few pieces that give +Arcane and a few others specific to those 2 abilities... every now and again an item drops which says, for example, +10% DPS in the compare tooltips due to higher +int.

I've just assumed that if it's +10% DPS (for example) but I have +15% Arcane then the Arcane wins, even though the tooltip says it doesn't. +Black Hole is minimal as I use that for Spell Steal, but I apply the same for Disintegrate. If my equipped has 15% on it, while the "upgrade" has only int, if the tooltip DPS gain is less than the 15% modifier then I salvage it.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Sorry if this is a rather noobish question, but I never took Diablo itemization serious beyond what it took to take out normal then nightmare mode prior to RoS, so I never looked into taking into account extra bonuses. Here's my question:

If I have some gloves that have 285 Int on them with +15% disintegrate damage and then I find some gloves with 301 Int and NO bonus to disintegrate damage, would that make the latter pair of gloves superior? Since it's only a 15% boost and that gets covered by the 16 extra int?
    I am 99% sure the int doesn't when when casting disintegrate. Think of it this way , going from 10000 int to 10015 int is not a 15% increase in the way you're thinking . Technically it will raise your spells damage by 15 more % but that's not how it factors in to the FINAL value . Say your spell has a base damage of 10 and you have 1000 int , the spell will do 100 damage. Now say you have 1015 int , the spell will do 101.5 damage . Notice how this "15 percent increase" didn't translate into 15% extra damage . However , lets say you have 15% damage increase to that 10 damage spell with 1000 int , the spell will do 115 damage. In your case , for disentegrate , the % damage FAR outweighs the int for that specific spell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garmeth06 View Post
    I am 99% sure the int doesn't when when casting disintegrate. Think of it this way , going from 10000 int to 10015 int is not a 15% increase in the way you're thinking . Technically it will raise your spells damage by 15 more % but that's not how it factors in to the FINAL value . Say your spell has a base damage of 10 and you have 1000 int , the spell will do 100 damage. Now say you have 1015 int , the spell will do 101.5 damage . Notice how this "15 percent increase" didn't translate into 15% extra damage . However , lets say you have 15% damage increase to that 10 damage spell with 1000 int , the spell will do 115 damage. In your case , for disentegrate , the % damage FAR outweighs the int for that specific spell
    I honestly never thought of it like that, really good call ahaha.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garmeth06 View Post
    So, it would not be worth replacing those gloves with the higher Int ones if my build is revolving around disintegrate then?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

So, it would not be worth replacing those gloves with the higher Int ones if my build is revolving around disintegrate then?
    no it wouldn't http://www.diablofans.com/news/47999...damage-tooltip

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Thanks! I've been playing on Hard and am now reaching the point where I can melt through normal mobs and take rare/elites down with in seconds... so I figure since I'm going to be upping my difficulty soon, I need to figure out how to number crunch and calculate.

15% Disintegrate damage is going to be way, way, way more damage than 16 Int if you use Disintegrate. Lets posit your weapon is 2000dps and your total DPS after all Int, Crit, Haste and Crit Damage is added in is 200,000, the Int is going to net you a few hundred more DPS whereas the Disintegrate will add about 30,000dps when using Disintegrate.

If you have 9 Paragon levels or more try increasing and lower your Int by 15 and look at the effect that has on your DPS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
    15% Disintegrate damage is going to be way, way, way more damage than 16 Int if you use Disintegrate. Lets posit your weapon is 2000dps and your total DPS after all Int, Crit, Haste and Crit Damage is added in is 200,000, the Int is going to net you a few hundred more DPS whereas the Disintegrate will add about 30,000dps when using Disintegrate.

If you have 9 Paragon levels or more try increasing and lower your Int by 15 and look at the effect that has on your DPS.
    I haven't hit even the basic level cap of 70 yet; but when I do get some Paragon levels, I'll be sure to toy around with just that to test things. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Been wondering about that myself...

My 2 main skills are Disintegrate and Black Hole (both Arcane), and I have a few pieces that give +Arcane and a few others specific to those 2 abilities... every now and again an item drops which says, for example, +10% DPS in the compare tooltips due to higher +int.

I've just assumed that if it's +10% DPS (for example) but I have +15% Arcane then the Arcane wins, even though the tooltip says it doesn't. +Black Hole is minimal as I use that for Spell Steal, but I apply the same for Disintegrate. If my equipped has 15% on it, while the "upgrade" has only int, if the tooltip DPS gain is less than the 15% modifier then I salvage it.
    There's a good writeup on how +% damage on items works. The games DPS calculation can be a bit misleading when using the tooltip to decide if it's an upgrade or not.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/47999...damage-tooltip