Resolution (?) Problem With Old Games

Hey guys,

I wanted to run Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 / 2 today, and the colors in the game are super off and weird. Random pixels are blue / red / random colors, and while the functionality of the game is fine, it's super annoying. Any idea what's going on?

I've got Win 7, 64 bit. The games came from GOG.com. I tried hitting google, and it didn't seem to help. I attempted to enable compatibility with Win 95 / 98 / XP, didn't help. I checked all of the boxes (Disable visual themes, etc) within Compatibility --> Settings. No dice. I feel like I should know what the culprit and solution are, it's just not coming to me.

Help me get...on...Mr. Bones' Wild Ride! Wait...

Deleted
    Have you tried http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RollerCoaster_Tycoon_2 ?

I had that problem on old games as well (age of empires II etc) and the fixes there helped me :-)

Have you tried running an older version of Windows in a virtual machine and playing the game that way? I picked up a favorite from grade school at a thrift store recently and that was the only way I could get it to run perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by achareat View Post
    Have you tried http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RollerCoaster_Tycoon_2 ?

I had that problem on old games as well (age of empires II etc) and the fixes there helped me :-)
    I looked around, and I don't know that it really helps me; there's nothing that I see that addresses my video issue. But...I've never used the site before, so perhaps I just need to look around more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolmagorov View Post
    Have you tried running an older version of Windows in a virtual machine and playing the game that way? I picked up a favorite from grade school at a thrift store recently and that was the only way I could get it to run perfectly.
    I've never toyed with virtual machines before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could we get a screenshot of what's happening?

This post on the GoG forum sounds like your issue. They solved it by installing a window mode patch.

http://www.gog.com/forum/rollercoaster_tycoon_series/rct2_colors_are_all_funky

http://www.gog.com/forum/rollercoast...sed_up_colours

http://www.gog.com/forum/rollercoast...wed_mode/page1
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-03-31 at 09:46 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Could we get a screenshot of what's happening?
    Silly question: how? I attempted to print screen --> paste within Photoshop, and I get a completely black image. Fraps refuses to work for me, within RCT...I'm searching Google, trying to find an image that's similar right now. I have a different native resolution that what RCT runs at, so I can't think off-hand of an easy way to do this.

The best I can describe it, in words, is that the every pixel is a different, wrong color. What should be blue (water), is pink, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Silly question: how? I attempted to print screen --> paste within Photoshop, and I get a completely black image. Fraps refuses to work for me, within RCT...I'm searching Google, trying to find an image that's similar right now. I have a different native resolution that what RCT runs at, so I can't think off-hand of an easy way to do this.

The best I can describe it, in words, is that the every pixel is a different, wrong color. What should be blue (water), is pink, etc.
    Huh. No idea why the usual print screen method wouldn't work.

Anyway, try the solutions I linked in my edit.

Alternatively, try updating your videocard drivers. One of the guys at GoG says that the issue went away with the 13.12 AMD drivers.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-03-31 at 09:51 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Huh. No idea why the usual print screen method wouldn't work.

Anyway, try the solutions I linked in my edit.

Alternatively, try updating your videocard drivers. One of the guys at GoG says that the issue went away with the 13.12 ATI drivers.
    Will do. I'll be able to test the windowed solution in a couple of hours; can't try to update my drivers until a couple days later (long story). Thanks for your help.

Update: the windowed "hack" thing fixes the color issue, but is near unplayable because the hitboxes are really off. I'm on my mobile without internet until tomorrow, so I'll investigate drivers + comments on the "hack" thread ( I remember someone mentioning having the same issue).

I'll update tomorrow with my findings.