Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is Heroic Thok Supposed to be difficult?

We went into the night expecting this boss to be a pretty tough one to beat. We put a total of 28 attempts in on him over 1 and half raid nights, 80% of which attempts were spent on perfecting the cooldown rotation, and the very first attempt that we even saw the 3rd phase 1 was our kill. Has this fight gotten nerfed severely from what it used to be or is this encounter just a troll?

10+ Year Old Account
    You call 28 attempts a troll?
    I think I'd have exploded after 6!

Well, what is the average ilvl of your raid group? The tier has been out for a long time, so if you spent months and months on previous bosses, getting everyone geared out and then kill the previous boss and move on to Thok, chances are your DPS will be incredibly high and your heals will be yawning. And it's not exactly a difficult mechanic fight.

Deleted
    Congratulation for coming here and bragging that you killed a boss which got already nerfed 3 times while wearing 575+ equipment. That is an amazing feat..

Either way, this fight is a healer check - which gets easier if you stack resto druids and shaman in both difficulties/sizes. 10 man being a little bit tougher, since you dont have a bazillion raid CDs.
    Last edited by mmoc59b5827c7e; 2014-03-31 at 03:59 PM.

10 or 25 man?

Also, at your gear level? Its not as hard as it was. A few months ago when people had less gear it was much harder, but considering you've probably been farming most of the raid this time you'll have more gear then guilds had back then.

Try killing him after 28 attempts without nerfs and without extreme overgearing. You would probably spend some a month or so there, considering that you killed him this late in the raid tier.

I'm not trying to brag, because I don't even know if that's impressive or not. If my intentions really were to brag I would link an armory or something, but I'm not. We're a fairly new guild and started Heroics in January. We're around 568-570 avg ilvl, with our healers being at the lower end of the spectrum. I don't follow mmo champ enough so I don't know if there have been nerfs or not, the fight just felt undertuned at our current item level. If we had been raiding since the beginning of the tier then I wouldn't be surprised, we haven't though.

Quote Originally Posted by skatecL5 View Post
    I'm not trying to brag, because I don't even know if that's impressive or not. If my intentions really were to brag I would link an armory or something, but I'm not. We're a fairly new guild and started Heroics in January. We're around 568-570 avg ilvl, with our healers being at the lower end of the spectrum. I don't follow mmo champ enough so I don't know if there have been nerfs or not, the fight just felt undertuned at our current item level. If we had been raiding since the beginning of the tier then I wouldn't be surprised, we haven't though.
    Nerfed bat swung many a time on Thok.

Not to mention SoO in general. It's been out for forever. He used to be "the wall" boss.

10 or 25 Man ?

The boss is very similar to normal, just some bats and yeti and more damage health. So if you overgear the fight (which is the case), it's not that difficult considering the nerfs.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't an impressive kill seeing how nerfed it's been and the gear level of your raid highly outgears the designed level.

It's a shame because from Thok and on, those bosses were difficult before the nerf but now they're jokes. You should have no issues until Garrosh, but since he was barely nerfed on only 10 man, he will be a huge wall for you guys.

We are a 10 man, not a 25 man. And yes, I have a feeling Garrosh is going to be the true test. I'm looking forward to it, wiping sucks but really earning a kill is a lot nicer than getting a kill that is now easier than originally designed. I would compare what I expect of Garrosh to my first heroic spine kill, but no, just no....
    Last edited by skatecL5; 2014-03-31 at 04:33 PM.

Even when we got there at the end of october and beginning of november the fight was pretty much a joke since we had been doing heroics for ~5 weeks by then. We probably were in the 563-568 area but even that is pretty much overgearing the fight (and I am talking pre-nerf). We didn't even get the fire door here when we first killed it and really never have. And our healers (me and a disc priest and an elemental shaman) have always been the least geared in the raid, which is what a lot of guilds try to do at the start of a tier since healers don't always need gear. I guess I have gear now, but certainly didn't relative to the DPS for progressing.

In contrast, it was really only difficult back during the first or second week of heroics where no one had 560 ilvl and so stuff felt threatening, and if you were 10 man, you probably didn't have a billion cooldowns. You would have to go through all three doors and you also just didn't have as much health so you might die quicker from a few shock blasts or not having enough for a roar.

And yes to answer your question, there have been nerfs that hit the boss. I know they hotfixed the 30 roar thing so 25 mans couldn't cheese the fight early on, but there was the 10% damage nerf or whatever on 10 man, and then there may have been another nerf somewhere.

edit for three doors
    Last edited by Gardiff; 2014-03-31 at 04:37 PM.

We got there before the nerfs and that 10% nerf or w/e it was makes all the difference in the world.

Like others I'm really not sure what the point of the post is. People getting there now have crazy gear facing a version of the boss that's easier than it used to be.

If you kill Siegecrafter in 30 pulls I'll be impressed.

took us 11 attempts :P and we got it the last week pre-nerf .... but yeah above 565 ilvl (with our healers being higher, ~570) it's much easier than it was for ppl at the beginning at sub 560 ilvl. Seigecrafter is much more difficult, 113 attempts vs 11 ... yeah if you get seigecrafter in 30 pulls that will be awesome! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    You call 28 attempts a troll?
    I think I'd have exploded after 6!
    You give up so easy! Any decent hard boss deserves at least 50 attempts :-P

Deleted
    Is Heroic Thok Supposed to be difficult?
    To answer your question OP, no. Thok is no where near "difficult". It's a simple pewpew, use cds and kite boss. Nothing really difficult about him at all. My guild had it down in like 3 or less pulls at low 550ish item level with a healer or two in the 540 range and another healer 530ish. After we killed it on 25m, we went back on 10 and 1-2 shotted it with no problem.
    Last edited by mmocaf4ebebc87; 2014-03-31 at 06:26 PM.

It's a nerfed gearcheck, and you outgear it, so nope.
    Choptimus
    <Prime>
    10man #18 EU
    25man #76 EU

Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    To answer your question OP, no. Thok is no where near "difficult". It's a simple pewpew, use cds and kite boss. Nothing really difficult about him at all. My guild had it down in like 3 or less pulls at low 550ish item level with a healer or two in the 540 range and another healer 530ish. After we killed it on 25m, we went back on 10 and 1-2 shotted it with no problem.
    What do you get out of lying on the internet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    People like to RP. The other day we had an applicant who claimed to be one of the officers of Afterlife in Vanilla and was subsequently found to be lying. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person.

On the internet, you can pretend to be anything you can dream of and some people derive psychic benefit from that (as well as trolling :P).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    You should read his other posts. He basically claims they got world first 25m, then world first 10m the next week, but they started a few weeks late because this game is so easy that they don't care. He also thinks Vanilla was the pinnacle of raiding.

He's either trolling to get a rise out of people or he has some serious mental health issues that cause compulsive lying.