Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

$400k Camel Statue ordered by the State Dept. for an Embassy in Pakistan

http://www.buzzfeed.com/aramroston/e...amel-sculpture

Holy shit what a colossal waste of money. Take that money and buy back some of our diminishing influence instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

If $400,000 is the most expensive thing the US government fritters away in the next 20 years I'll be shocked.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't someone create that for less money? :s

10+ Year Old Account
    You're complaining about 400k..? Okay then.

It's a shame art never appreciates in value.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    In what universe is that camel statue worth 400k.
    In what universe is $400k a large enough dent to warrant genuine outrage from anyone who isn't all "400k is a LOT" without considering how much larger Foreign Policy is compared to their house. I imagine these people are in the same world as "use it to buy some of our diminishing influence back" cos yeah, Pakistan really wants some American influence, I can hear them screaming from Kashmir and I'm in Nottingham. Not saying it isn't excessive but... it's not that bad. The UK government pays some ridiculous figure for a many computers which retail at a fraction of the price.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    You're complaining about 400k..? Okay then.
    When it's money better spent at home, yes.
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a piece of statuary by a recognized artist. Art has value. Seriously, this is like complaining that someone would pay millions for a Picasso because anyone can slap some paint on a canvas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Hey dont yell at me, I dont care how they spend their money, but that statue is a load of shite for the price, you could get something much nicer for 400k
    Well now you've said that I FEEL THAT I SHOULD YELL BECAUSE BEFORE I WASN'T BUT IF THAT'S HOW I COME ACROSS I'M BOTH SORRY AND GOING TO EXAGGERATE IT

Maybe, but art is only valuable because of who made it and rarely because of what it is. Endus made a good comparison here I think.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a piece of statuary by a recognized artist. Art has value. Seriously, this is like complaining that someone would pay millions for a Picasso because anyone can slap some paint on a canvas.
    I get that art has value (not to me personally, but I can understand the appeal). Put me in the camp that thinks our government has better uses for the money we provide it than to dump almost half a million dollars on a piece of fiberglass halfway around the world.

Tax dollars at work. I mean really Im so fed up with our shitty spend crazy Government. (both sides) Not party specific We need more spending accountability from our overlords.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's true - but in this case it's taxpayers' money. So US taxpayers have some right to care what the money is spent on. Whether the camel statue is worth that much is a different point though.

Personal opinion: It's a crap statue.

All the same, if people are going to start being outraged they may want to start bigger than this. Billions disappear into defense contract mismanagement for example. Whether you think the defense budget is fine or not, it could be spent far more efficiently. Likewise with any other big department you care to mention I'm sure.

Not in dispute, Is that money our Government should be wasting on another country? Any amount of money spent on another country for such a frivolous thing should raise eyebrows.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    I get that art has value (not to me personally, but I can understand the appeal). Put me in the camp that thinks our government has better uses for the money we provide it than to dump almost half a million dollars on a piece of fiberglass halfway around the world.
    Instead we should be spending it on more pieces of steel the military doesn't want? http://news.yahoo.com/army-says-no-m...115434897.html

There's room for complaint with regards to government spending, but the issue isn't this particular government specifically, nor is it spending like this in particular. There's far more egregious issues that should be confronted first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Not in dispute, Is that money our Government should be wasting on another country? Any amount of money spent on another country for such a frivolous thing should raise eyebrows.
    It's at the American embassy, which is, I assume, US soil (they usually are), and it's by an American artist. So it's the US paying an American to put something in place for American benefit in an American embassy.

Think of how much Raytheon could have used that $400k.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    Well that's true - but in this case it's taxpayers' money. So US taxpayers have some right to care what the money is spent on. Whether the camel statue is worth that much is a different point though.

Personal opinion: It's a crap statue.

All the same, if people are going to start being outraged they may want to start bigger than this. Billions disappear into defense contract mismanagement for example. Whether you think the defense budget is fine or not, it could be spent far more efficiently. Likewise with any other big department you care to mention I'm sure.
    It's almost all taxpayers money, this line of "it's our money so we should have a say" is absolute bullshit - also, you do have a say anyway. It stops being your money the second you pay all the various fees you have to. The money that governments make that doesn't come from taxes come from business and corporations - which get their money from the taxpayer buying their goods.

You don't get any more of a say of where "your" money goes (hint: it's not your money) be it the government who spends it or where a private company spends its money. You don't like where a private company spends it? Stop buying their stuff. Don't like where the government spends it? Leave the country or don't vote for them at the election.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    It's not for another country. It's for our embassy. And the money wasn't wasted. Art is an investment. An investment that almost always beats the S&P btw.

some perspective please

Deleted
    Do we know the budget details for this particular branch? Maybe they saved elsewhere within the embassy project in order to get something external that could be seen.

The issue here is that there are better things to spend money on, especially that amount of money.
    The local council where I live can find money for things like this, but not for fixing potholes on roads.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead we should be spending it on more pieces of steel the military doesn't want? http://news.yahoo.com/army-says-no-m...115434897.html

There's room for complaint with regards to government spending, but the issue isn't this particular government specifically, nor is it spending like this in particular. There's far more egregious issues that should be confronted first.
    Nope, put me in the camp that wants reduced military spending too. We have much better uses for that money in infrastructure, education, and scientific research.