Thread: Really?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with her actions. Behave or leave.

Welcome to the real world
    The real world doesn't have to be filled the irate tools who can't communicate with people.

I remember when I was in school, we had the teachers who made the effort to interact with students, who communicated with them, got down to there level and spoke openly about things, and let students talk themselves. My maths teacher was awesome, funniest man ever, laughed with the students but also made big group sessions in how to figure out equations and maths problems. My physical education teacher always supported me and let me chill out if there was a sport I didn't feel like doing, and who even came and supported me when a friend of mine died in school.

And then you had the irate bastards who would not get down on the students level, like my drama teacher who always complained about students giving her headaches, or the pc and tech teacher who didn't teach so much as let us mess around on the computers and then poked us saying we need to follow the text book.

People who can't get on the same level as students and understand them, should not teach.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2014-04-03 at 11:14 AM.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    You're friend and you interupted her class with something dumb. You laughed. You smiled. Isn't she entitled to be pissed off with you? Don't be so quick to blame the teacher and consider maybe you were in the wrong.

Apologise and see what happens.
    It was BEFORE the class,its been said a bunch of times now.

I have a hard time finding anybody would behave like that teacher in any normal college, if the story went exactly as told. Likely there was more (attitude, glances, possibly derogatory?) causing her to take note to begin with and emphasized by the way you responded/reacted. That would explain her behavior, and fits with the typical age group. The story as presented right up and down makes no sense otherwise.

At any rate, as others have said, talk to her and show her that you're mature enough to work out of the confrontation like adults do all the time all over the world, and you'll probably get better out of it than you were to begin with, since you'll have made an impression and turned something negative to something positive.

Assuming you can do that without an attitude but rather be earnest about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    90% of the responsibility for obtaining an education lies with the learner.
    Oh, really? Tell me, why do we have teachers when we can simply get some books, learn from them and come back to take the exams? The teacher's role is to intrigue his or her students. To make them think, make them curious and make them understand. Unfortunately, today's educational system fails at doing that since virtually every Joe can teach the subject and rarely a teacher has the skills to help his or her students actually understand.

As for the OP: she sounds like she hasn't gotten laid in a while, to be frank.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    Everyone has their bad day. Maybe there was some little twat who was an asshole before you and tried to push teacher's limits.
    If someone smiling at a joke is pushing your limits... I don't even. And how is his friend an asshole for telling him a joke before the class started?

She definitely overreacted.

Deleted
    I have been in a bad situation with a lecturer before, you can fix it, what you do its go see her after class, apologize, say something about how you are there to learn and you realize its not high school anymore, and you are looking forward to the rest of the year etc etc, assume full blame for the situation - usually they will give you another shot - I understand that you did nothing wrong, but you want lecturers on your side, if they dont like you, or you get on the wrong side of them, prepare to have your future totally destroyed

15+ Year Old Account
    The whole "The class hadn't started yet" line is pretty BS.

The classroom is the teachers room. It is their decision when and how the class starts, not the students. If the teacher walks into the classroom 5 minutes early and all the kids are in the room, guess what, the teacher can start early. This isn't a job where you start when your shift starts. It's school, where the teacher is the ruler of the classroom, literally.

Again, I have to say I doubt the OP is giving us the whole story. It's just way too far fetched to be true.

Deleted
    Whole thing is up to you really. Half the reason I left uni was because of getting into arguments with lecturers and lab techs, but then at that point I'd sort of realised uni wasn't for me. It depends how you feel really. If you want to keep your head down and keep going, then go apologise and let it drop. If you want to raise hell, then raise hell. Just be aware that there will probably be consequences.

Can people stop making banal threads titled "really?" and "You won't believe this" or other neutral crap. Dat shit is too tempting to click.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    This is college. You're suppose to be an adult and know better.
    I am confused.

Also I don't see the problem, there is nothing to be discussed, you either apologize for your behaviour or you change it in the future. She didn't ask you why you were smiling, she litterally advsided you to wipe it off or leave. My initial reaction would have probably been similar to yours, but at some point you have to realize what is going on and show that you understand her situation.

Or you leave and take a stand and don't bitch about it afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tyrant King View Post
    her situation.
    Student smiling in your class-room full of people you're getting paid to teach. The struggle is real.

I mean smiling? Of all things, how rude.
    Last edited by Ineko; 2014-04-03 at 11:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Time before the class even starts isn't teacher's time, it's your time, for you to prepare you textbooks or whatever and prepare yourself for hat class mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The real world doesn't have to be filled the irate tools who can't communicate with people.

I remember when I was in school, we had the teachers who made the effort to interact with students, who communicated with them, got down to there level and spoke openly about things, and let students talk themselves. My maths teacher was awesome, funniest man ever, laughed with the students but also made big group sessions in how to figure out equations and maths problems. My physical education teacher always supported me and let me chill out if there was a sport I didn't feel like doing, and who even came and supported me when a friend of mine died in school.

And then you had the irate bastards who would not get down on the students level, like my drama teacher who always complained about students giving her headaches, or the pc and tech teacher who didn't teach so much as let us mess around on the computers and then poked us saying we need to follow the text book.

People who can't get on the same level as students and understand them, should not teach.
    Those teachers we're the best, and most of the time students respect teachers like that. We had a programming teacher that used to go eat lunch during the break and just talk about tech or random things, or tech teacher that occasionally would go on the rant about EVE Online for 10 minutes and then go "God damn it, I did it again". Fun times.

So you just kept smiling? Yeah you see that's sort of weird... It probably would've pissed me off as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming you're telling the full story, then her action was stupid as hell.

Though I have no trouble believing it is the full story. Growing up, I've had teachers who'd do similar things or worse on a regular basis. Not to me, but to my classmates, and witnessing it is enough. Some people just can't have a tiny bit of power over others in their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Wow. What a soul-crushingly tedious viewpoint.
    How else do you view it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Whole thing is up to you really. Half the reason I left uni was because of getting into arguments with lecturers and lab techs, but then at that point I'd sort of realised uni wasn't for me. It depends how you feel really. If you want to keep your head down and keep going, then go apologise and let it drop. If you want to raise hell, then raise hell. Just be aware that there will probably be consequences.
    Raise hell and become a useless bum for the rest of your life or stay subservient in order to eventually become somewhat successful. The answer here is quite evident...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post

Raise hell and become a useless bum for the rest of your life or stay subservient in order to eventually become somewhat successful. The answer here is quite evident...
    Well, I went down the raise hell route with uni, ended up quitting it, got a job instead and I've now got my own place to live, with a mortgage (like a real grown-up!) instead of rent, like... a stable job, all that kind of stuff. Education isn't always the way to go to success. I agree that in a lot of cases it is, but not always!

xx

Deleted
    I'm not going to type out the whole story as I can't really be bothered, but I once was punished by a teacher for something stupid and insignificant. He made me write an essay to hand in the next day. I did, he was surprised I'd actually done it and apologized for his bad mood the day before..

The teacher may have just had a bad day, give them a couple lessons to see if they turn around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ultimately its down to;

Is the OP the kind of kid that always gets in trouble, or is the OP the kind of kid that rarely gets in trouble.

If you rarely get in trouble, I'd try and salvage it and apologise. You're obviously at College because you want to learn, or progress into something you want to learn.

If you're always getting in trouble in that teachers class, then obviously you and the teacher don't mix well and you might want to look elsewhere for further education. Though, that isn't to say you shouldn't still try to apologise and try to fix it, it might just be harder.

Could always drop out as many have suggested. You might land on your feet as Erin claims, but theres a pretty good chance you'll struggle.

Though, I'm in no way claiming that further education = instant job, either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Yeah, hate to break it to you but no, this is exactly how the real world is.
    In the real world, at my work, our bosses laugh with us. Also he whistles game of thrones theme constantly. So hate to break it to you, it's not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    Ultimately its down to;

Is the OP the kind of kid that always gets in trouble, or is the OP the kind of kid that rarely gets in trouble.

If you rarely get in trouble, I'd try and salvage it and apologise. You're obviously at College because you want to learn, or progress into something you want to learn.

If you're always getting in trouble in that teachers class, then obviously you and the teacher don't mix well and you might want to look elsewhere for further education. Though, that isn't to say you shouldn't still try to apologise and try to fix it, it might just be harder.

Could always drop out as many have suggested. You might land on your feet as Erin claims, but theres a pretty good chance you'll struggle.

Though, I'm in no way claiming that further education = instant job, either.
    Pretty much everything this person says is how it is. Just be aware that no matter how hard it is to salvage the relationship with your teacher, busting your balls peeling potatoes in a crappy resturaunt, or getting up at 4 in the morning to open up some retail store and having to wipe away the frost from your car with your expired student ID card is harder. You can absolutley make it without almost any schooling at all, but you have to be prepared to work for it. I work in a recruitment agency at the moment and we get a load of people coming in who don't have much schooling but have clearly worked their cocks off in some really tough jobs in the mean time, and that can (to some employers) look better than someone who strolls out of uni and says "I want a graduate job" (what the fuck is that anyway? A graduate job doing WHAT) with no experience or anything, but equally if you drop out and then sit on your ass crying about how you can't find work, or like, you just slum it in maccy d's for 4 years you're going to be worse off than if you'd just sat in the class being bored and yelled at.