Comcast or AT&T internet

My "contract" (promotional pricing) is ending with my current provider (AT&T) at the end of April and I'm considering whether I should negotiate the promo pricing for another year or switch to a competitor (Comcast/Others?).

I'm looking for some intelligent input from the MMO community to help me make an educated decision. Please reply with comments if you live near Chicago or states surrounding Illinois and use Comcast or have used Comcast or AT&T and have any information that might be helpful in making the right decision. If you've switched between the two carriers before, your input would be really helpful.

Thanks!

tl;dr: AT&T or Comcast Internet - Chicago Area

well if the deal gets approved comcast will also own time warner.

not sure if that affects your decision or not.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll get much better performance from Comcast even though I'm not the biggest fan of them (until my new house). Currently paying for 50Mbps but receiving ~130 which is nice. It has a high uptime as well. There's quite a bit of competition out in Seattle though, dunno about Chicago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to General Off-Topic

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Comcast if you want speed att if you just want internet access at the lowest possible cost. They both have terrible customer sevice but at least with Att you feel you are getting treated better, neither will lift a finger if you have any problem that doesnt prevent you from accessing the internet. So out of both crappy services comcast has the better infrastructure pick them if you dont mind paying a bit more
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

It's like picking between a turd sandwich and a douchebag.

research whats best in your area, and thats what you go with. they all have bad front line customer service, thats nearly impossible to get past. so onlything you can choose by is which has the best "active service" in your area and cost of course.

It all depends on where you live. For instance, AT&T doesn't cover most of my area which is strange considering the Washington DC metropolitan area is home to almost 6 million people. Comcast is not that present either and is only the fourth largest ISP behind Cox, Verizon and Broadaspect.

Personally I use Verizon FIOS since their package of 100 mbps with full cable (HBO, Stars, all that shit) and a lan line is only around $90 a month which is a pretty good deal. However, I would imagine that there are similar if not better packages in other cities but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't given the incredibly high tech infrastructure of the area. In the end, you need to do research on the city you live in.
    Last edited by Deletedaccount1; 2014-04-03 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    it all depends on where you live
    He said Chicago area so I would assume the Chicago area. Comcast is going to be faster and they have a $19.99 a month deal for the first year. Just threaten to go to AT&T at around the year point and they will offer you a bunch of free shit to stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltee View Post
    My "contract" (promotional pricing) is ending with my current provider (AT&T) at the end of April and I'm considering whether I should negotiate the promo pricing for another year or switch to a competitor (Comcast/Others?).

I'm looking for some intelligent input from the MMO community to help me make an educated decision. Please reply with comments if you live near Chicago or states surrounding Illinois and use Comcast or have used Comcast or AT&T and have any information that might be helpful in making the right decision. If you've switched between the two carriers before, your input would be really helpful.

Thanks!

tl;dr: AT&T or Comcast Internet - Chicago Area
    I live in the South Loop and have Uverse, which gets up to 24mbps. Comcast claims they can do over 100, but so far 55mbps appears to be the best they have in the city. If you go with AT&T, GET YOUR OWN ROUTER. We had constant issues and an unstable connection going from 1.5mbps to 12 (still sub-par) using their router/modem but once we switched to our own router we're getting a consistent 18 - 24mbps.

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

At this point I'm leaning towards Comcast as the price I can get for a year is less than what AT&T is offering me and I haven't seen anyone mention anything to steer me clear of Comcast (or AT&T rather).

Keep it coming, guys... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    If you go with AT&T, GET YOUR OWN ROUTER. We had constant issues and an unstable connection going from 1.5mbps to 12 (still sub-par) using their router/modem but once we switched to our own router we're getting a consistent 18 - 24mbps.
    This is sound advice anytime you have a modem / router combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I've had Comcast for 3 years now. I haven't had any problems - never had to call them or have anyone come out to the house to fix it. I'll have it for another year before I move.
    Thanks, Winter Blossom, that helps me out a lot