View Poll Results: Do you care about what happens to people who are not connected to you directly?

Voters
121. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I care about other strangers.

59 48.76%
  • No, I do not care about other strangers.

46 38.02%
  • I don't know.

12 9.92%
  • Other.

4 3.31%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you think you actually care about other people you don't know or not?

I've noticed a lot of people are not very altruistic at all. I've seen many people express indifference at the unfortunate plight of other people in things like natural disasters, ranging from on the other side of the world to just the earthquake in Haiti.

Are you one of those people or not?

I personally find it difficult to empathize with anyone, let alone people on the other side of the world, but I try my best to simulate it and end up feeling like I do care about all of them, ultimately.

The current poll results give me faith in humanity. The trolls will ruin it but for a moment, we all care.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont care about anyone who is a stranger.. In a sense..
    If you stop me on the street and say something to me, I'll care in a sense that we immidiately have a "relationship".

I can emphatize with victims of earthquakes and so forth, but if I overhear a phone conversation on the bus; where the person I'm hearing is getting the news that their grandad died.. I give 0 fucks. In fact, stop disturbing my bus-ride, you inconcidirate douche.
    I like juice

I selectively care for strangers. I don't really care much about Tuvalu but I care about people in my home country.

I also care enough about short strangers such that I never use the short urinal if a regular one is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I selectively care for strangers. I don't really care much about Tuvalu but I care about people in my home country.

I also care enough about short strangers such that I never use the short urinal if a regular one is available.
    So, the difference between you caring or not caring is determined by arbitrary political boundaries that the persons affected essentially had no control over.

K.

10+ Year Old Account
    I care about everyone really. Even criminals if they sincerely show remorse. Im so empathetic Im pretty sure Im an empath which can make some things difficult.

If someone I didnt like on these boards did have somehting bad happen to them, I would genuinely feel awful and want to do something. Im weird >.>

Deleted
    Somewhat, I tend to look at it and imagine how harsh a situation it must be, which of course triggers empathy. However I have never donated to natural disaster victims, I pay my taxes and some of that money goes to such catastrophes, which should be sufficient in my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    i do care but can not personally do anything financially or otherwise at the moment so i try to tell myself that they are getting help by others with the means
    i can not however put the entire worlds problems on a plate served to myself since i'd go insane with not being able to help them at all...

really not sure what kind of person that makes me...i do wish i could help
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    I find it extremely hard to emotionally relate or sympathize with others, bar very, very, very close friends or family; I feel nothing for those elsewhere in the world, i understand morality and can also understand terrible events occur, but i've never really felt any outpouring of emotion for it.

So...

I put myself as "I don't know", but would lean towards no, i don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The idea of genuinely caring about another individual is foreign to me. I try to imagine caring for someone like others appear to, but I have no idea what to even imagine and just get lost trying.
    I dub thee Nixxbot 3000

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on several factors..

Disasters I have come to view as part of life hpwever I also feel support and aid should be given. I believe in support prpgrams and more.

But to get me ACTUALLY vocally enraged it tajes someone infringing upon or trying to limit anothers freedom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I care about everyone really. Even criminals if they sincerely show remorse. Im so empathetic Im pretty sure Im an empath which can make some things difficult.

If someone I didnt like on these boards did have somehting bad happen to them, I would genuinely feel awful and want to do something. Im weird >.>
    I know what ya mean...Come disasters I seem to get overwhelmed and swap to a logic mode...If I didn't I dunno how my brain would react I already get upset from singular incidents more then most.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.. Good question. While of course I'd tell myself that yes, I totally care about the plights of strangers, I think I give myself a little more credit than I deserve.. I care, believe me, if I had the power to stop tragedies from occurring I would exercise it in a heartbeat, but I have a difficult time empathizing 100% with people I have never met before or situations I have never personally been in. I feel that life is too short to spend all my time dwelling on others' misfortunes.. There are a lot of people in the world, and a lot of them have had bad things happen to them or will have bad things happen to them at some point or another during their lives. There isn't anything I can do about it, either. If I took the time to personally empathize and grieve every time some misfortune befell someone, somewhere, I'd basically spend my entire life grieving and I'd be pretty miserable.

I do care about strangers but I find it kinda impossible to truly care about people in some disaster strikken place halfway across the globe. I just don't have the emotional investment to care beyond not wanting random strangers to suffer in any way. I'd wish their lives would be better, but i'm not going to cry myself to sleep every night because something horrible is happening to someone somewhere. As for the random strangers in everyday live I generally view them as an unnoteworthy mass of people, but that comes with living in the city I suppose. I would still give up my seat for some old lady on the bus of help the lady with the stroller get down the escalator.
    Empathy is a good trait I guess, but I do think it's helpfull to disconnect from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    I dont care about anyone who is a stranger.. In a sense..
    If you stop me on the street and say something to me, I'll care in a sense that we immidiately have a "relationship".

I can emphatize with victims of earthquakes and so forth, but if I overhear a phone conversation on the bus; where the person I'm hearing is getting the news that their grandad died.. I give 0 fucks. In fact, stop disturbing my bus-ride, you inconcidirate douche.
    Stop disturbing their mourning?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I do. Very much. I'd like to think i'd risk my life to save a stranger's. The situation has never arisen so I'm not sure if I would be brave enough. But, I do alot of little things during my day to brighten a stranger's day or just be nice. I think that helps to counteract the anger and hate in the world.

The idea of genuinely caring about another individual is foreign to me. I try to imagine caring for someone like others appear to, but I have no idea what to even imagine and just get lost trying.
    How edgy.
    Last edited by Randec; 2014-04-04 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

I care, because that stranger would do the same kindness for others in my position if given the chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, sure, you and every other wannabe cold-blooded shook one on reddit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the best way to describe how I personally feel & care for other ppl, whether I know them IRL or not, is the basic description of empathy; to put yourself in the other person's situation; how would you feel if it was your experience? How would you want to be treated? What would you need & hope for from others?

I can sometimes be overwhelmed with this & like Crissi I think I might be an empath/have quite a few empathic qualities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I care about some things, I don't care about others.

When Princess Diana died, I couldn't give a fuck, but some people seemed to so genuinely moved that they virtually beatified her.

Conversely, when we had the 7th July bombings in London, I was upset, possibly because it could have easily been myself, family or friends that were killed. However, sometimes I'm somewhat oblivious to similar tragedies in my locality.

It appears to have no rhyme nor reason.