View Poll Results: Do you care about what happens to people who are not connected to you directly?

Voters
121. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I care about other strangers.

59 48.76%
  • No, I do not care about other strangers.

46 38.02%
  • I don't know.

12 9.92%
  • Other.

4 3.31%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It's not something that occupies my mind that often, but yes, I do care about others (even strangers).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post
    The current poll results give me faith in humanity. The trolls will ruin it but for a moment, we all care.
    Says you! .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I know that I only seem to be capable of genuinely caring when there's some emotional touchstone for me. If I hear, "50 die in plane crash", all I really think is, "oh, that sucks". If I hear, "marathoner struck by car", I immediately empathize. Not morally defensible, but it's how I'm built.
    Wasn't it stalin or some such who said "when one man dies it;s a tragedy when a thousand die it's a statistic" I think it;s a form of shutoff valve that prevents overload.

Deleted
    I care, sometimes I pretend not to, sometimes I act like I don't, but I do

-edit- Just not that much about people I know trough the internet
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2014-04-04 at 10:38 AM.

I care about people who are not douche bags or assholes ...which leaves about .005% of the world population

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Thanks for confessing to an act that is punishable under the criminal penal code of nearly every single Western country.
    Not really. I suggest you go read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue Most English speaking countries do not have a duty to rescue law, including most of America.

On topic, No, I don't care at all about people I do not know

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    I care about people who are not douche bags or assholes ...which leaves about .005% of the world population
    Well, now you sound like a douche bag. I wonder if you care about yourself now.

Deleted
    Thanks for confessing to an act that is punishable under the criminal penal code of nearly every single Western country.
    What countries? It's not in Sweden.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way I care is that I think "Man, that would suck if it happened to me/anyone I know/my immediate vicinity"

Thousands of people dying in some disaster half way across the world though.... I just can't get emotional about something like that. People die all the time, I never knew them, chances are I wouldn't ever have known them nor would they have had any kind of impact on my life, so ehhh. I'm just indifferent about anything that doesn't concern me personally in any way.

I feel bad about some stories about people sometimes. I don't equate that to actual "caring" because I'm not dropping what I'm doing to rush over there and help them which is what I'd if it was someone I truly cared about like a close friend. To be 100% frank and honest, I couldn't give a less of a shit about natural disasters that killed people somewhere and left kids homeless.. whatever. On the other hand, I am fairly frequently moved to tears from stories about abused animals and have donated hundreds of dollars for their care.

In my opinion, many of the people who answered "yes I do" must be talking about "feeling bad" for people - which is not CARING imo, but sympathy.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Deleted
    I personally find it difficult to empathize with anyone, let alone people on the other side of the world, but I try my best to simulate it and end up feeling like I do care about all of them, ultimately.
    Maybe it changes with age. When I was young, I cared about everyone equally as a matter of principle. Now, it's a matter of emotion. Hearing of an ebola outbreak in a far away city of 2 million, half of them children, is enough to bring tears to my eyes. It doesn't take much empathy to appreciate a person suffering terribly, from nature or human injustice. I really don't see how geography matters. My street or thousands of miles away, doesn't change a thing. My house - my family or friends - sure, but beyond that, it seems we are increasingly a global community. Patriotism and parochialism don't seem to have much a place in a world with TV and internet.

Deleted
    Depends on who we're talking about to be frank, I don't care about another death in the middle east, because hey I'm used to it. Now if a meteor hit the states or any other part of the civilized world I'd probably care and want my government to send aid yes. So I'm gonna vote yes on your poll.

Deleted
    I work in customer service, so yes I care about strangers. I wouldn't be able to do my job properly if I didn't.

I care more than not. I don't tend to stay up late at night worrying over it.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

I do not really care. I can't care about everyone.