Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What's one thing that makes you instantly respect a person?

For me, it's altruism. Don't care if you're a drug dealing scumbag, but if you do something altruistic, I'll instantly be your best friend.

Nothing. I respect very few people.

Note that this doesn't mean I act like a disrespectful little shit all the time. I have my (shameful) moments, but I usually act respectful without actually respecting the person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    For me, it's altruism. Don't care if you're a drug dealing scumbag, but if you do something altruistic, I'll instantly be your best friend.
    stop using words you dont understand

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    stop using words you dont understand
    so what does it mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    so what does it mean?
    Altruism or selflessness is the principle or practice of concern for the welfare of others

IMO the OP didn't used it wrong, and i agree with him/her

10+ Year Old Account
    OP has symptoms of diarrhoea verborum simul constipationem conceptum.

Respect is earned, you can't have "instant" respect, and you shouldn't give any "instant" respect to people. Even when you talk about famous people, who spent biggest part of their life to earn respect from community they are interested in (scientists for example) and still, some people don't respect them. You should reconsider giving respect to people who act altruistic. Many people will try to "earn" respect from strangers by doing something that they never would do.

I know a one fucking guy, who used to act all selflessness in front of girls. He splurged, lied about things, gave promises he will never going to comply e.t.c. All girls thought that he is a good guy, but in reality, money he was throwing away was given to him by his parents or he borrowed them from other people, he lied about having a good job, he lied about being successful person, promises of, for example, writing a program on Delphi was complied by his friends, not by him. Yes, from the firsts look some people can be seen as persons who should be respected, but if you dig deeper, you, often, will be disappointed
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-03-31 at 06:22 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Altruism or selflessness is the principle or practice of concern for the welfare of others

*instant like*

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I automatically show respect to everyone, regardless of their actions made in the past. Everyone deserves respect.

Deleted
    if they dont care whether or not i respect them, because they respect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post

In your opinion? It's not a debate about something, it's a word that means just one thing. Can't be based on opinion when it either means what he said or it doesn't.

OT: Nothing. There is no single act that can make you truly respect someone. Sure, you can brofist them and say "respect", but it ends there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He's telling you upfront what's going to take. It's not ninja looting. It's pirate looting! YAARRRR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Ah yes those selfless, virtuous scumbag drug dealers.... way to derail your topic with your example.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

A nice butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably their swag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Showing some kindness.

I'm not going to respect someone if they are an ass.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    *instant like*
    for me it was *instant dislike* - I have no respect for people who can't even spell correctly.

Deleted
    Pretty much all altruism in the world is selfish; people do good deeds because they think it's the right thing to do, and because doing the right thing makes them feel good themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Pretty much all altruism in the world is selfish; people do good deeds because they think it's the right thing to do, and because doing the right thing makes them feel good themselves.
    That is merely the mechanism, however. Not the origin of the mechanism.

Altruism is my highest-regarded quality as well.

If you're not a hypocrite you're worthy of my respect. albeit very few people I know fit the bill.

Nothing can earn instant respect, I suspect you're thinking of admiration or awe. Someone jumping onto the tracks to hold someone down before the train takes their head off is amazing, courageous and admirable, but I'm not going to have instant respect for them.

Respect is something that takes years and years to build upon, and can be shattered very easily.