Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just saw that change, I'm really not happy about it. I have 5 characters who are engineer + something else and I am working on the 6th. I don't use my professions to make money but to craft stuff for my toons and for the combat bonuses. It's part of min maxing a character. Why taking away this possibility from the people who want to do it? Simply because some people are not willing to do so? That's a bad move from Blizzard I think.
    "I win because I'm a ninja. I kill everybody else because they suck ass. To even play a rogue takes an enormous amount of skill beyond what noobs like you could even imagine." Kishkumen, World of Roguecraft 2.

Not a fan of this personally.

I'm honestly a fan of being able of min/maxxing. I prefer having to max out 10 different thing as opposed to 3 or 4 things. And the amount of things to focus on have dropped consistenly since Wrath.

Not much I can do about it of course, but it still sucks regardless.
    Curious about joining the Marine Corps? If so check out my channel: www.youtube.com/twoninemarine Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Translation: Waaaaahhhhhh! One more way that I can no longer be a special little snowflake! How dare Blizzard take away something that could give me an advantage over other players who play just as much as I do!
    My god this argument is used for seriously every post about wow it seems

I dont play WoW anymore but I always felt that there should be things to separate those that were dedicated and those that werent. Professions were a piece of that pie and it saddens me that they are removing it. Players should be rewarded by putting in more work than the person who logs in to raid and nothing else, allowing some form of character progression outside of raid RNG is good for the game. The only thing I was always against in affecting combat was race because that isnt something you can freely change without having to spend real life money to do so, yet ofc that is still in the game for god knows why.

Now most professions will be what can earn me the most gold for everyone, boooooring

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    I dont play WoW anymore but I always felt that there should be things to separate those that were dedicated and those that werent. Professions were a piece of that pie and it saddens me that they are removing it. Players should be rewarded by putting in more work than the person who logs in to raid and nothing else, allowing some form of character progression outside of raid RNG is good for the game. The only thing I was always against in affecting combat was race because that isnt something you can freely change without having to spend real life money to do so, yet ofc that is still in the game for god knows why.
    I prefer the no direct-combat benefit model, not because I don't like min/maxing, but because I don't want to be forced to choose a profession I don't like. I may be antiquated, but I still enjoy the "RPG" aspect of the game, and my DK SHOULD be a blacksmith....not a tailor. If tailoring gave a larger combat benefit than BS, well I'd be a bit pissed. Same for racial bonuses. That doesn't mean that I don't think people should be rewarded for effort and time spent, but I'd like to those rewards to be for effort and dedication, not making an arbitrary decision (i.e. everyone MUST be an orc and an engineer) because it offers the most combat benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    I don't like min/maxing, but because I don't want to be forced to choose a profession I don't like.
    You never had to. Unless you were bleeding edge in pve, or playing in WotLK for PvP, no profession swap was ever mandatory, and you could remain competitive even without it in those situations.

The only people this change benefits is people too lazy to level ANY professions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Mr.EvilGreedyPresident goes "MWAHAHAH YOU PUNY PROGRAMMER, I'M BUYING A NEW FERRARI AND THERE'S O MONEY LEFT FOR YOUR PUNY CONTENT, WITHER AND DIE AND SCREW THE PLAYERS MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA *thunder echoes in the distance*"
    Main - Useful PvP Items

The removal of stat combat perks will upsetting for those who levelled a profession otherwise not utilised well for their character (tailoring for melee enchant on a rogue etc), which could have perhaps been better handled by normalising the bonus so that every profession gave an identical stat bonus as a perk for the progression in it.
    It would however still make professions feel necessary, and people would be judged very harshly for not taking them up.
    The community is downright horrible in that respect.

Ultimately this was never going to be a perfect solution, nor would the alternative of the normalised bonuses.

However the advantage of one over another simply had to be changed, whether people like that or not.

If we can get honest answers, then nobody should be able to say that one profession should simply be better in combat than another.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-05-02 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    Also taking in to account most if not all of these developers come from progressively liberal schools and their ideology is bleeding over to the game i.e everyone should be equal. In this case why should someone just because they went to the time and expense of leveling two primary professions like leatherworking and jewel crafting for example, get the benefit of a +500 wrist enchant and better gems giving them a slight advantage in PVP over those that only level one or none?
    It's sad how they need that extra boost to be competitive, skill sure is hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    The only people this change benefits is people too lazy to level ANY professions.
    Source? Where the sun don't shine? The people with 2 production professions are in the minority, most have mining or some other gathering skill. Hardcore PvP/PvErs are the exception, not the rule.
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2014-05-02 at 12:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

You never had to. Unless you were bleeding edge in pve, or playing in WotLK for PvP, no profession swap was ever mandatory, and you could remain competitive even without it in those situations.

Sorry but I enjoy gathering, and I also enjoy cutting edge progression, which inherently requires min-maxing, so I can't have gathering on my main, which is the toon I am out in the world with more than 90% of the time. So I have to level an alt to gather with instead, which will of course have weaker gear compared to my main, meaning more time spent fighting random mobs that aggro near nodes.

There are a good number of people who min-max who are happy about this change, professions should have never been given stat boosts in the first place. Non-combat perks like 2 hour flasks and super cheap enchants are enough for professions, I shouldn't have to have 2 professions that I don't like because I need +640 stats to be min-maxed .

Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    Sorry but I enjoy gathering, and I also enjoy cutting edge progression, which inherently requires min-maxing, so I can't have gathering on my main, which is the toon I am out in the world with more than 90% of the time. So I have to level an alt to gather with instead, which will of course have weaker gear compared to my main, meaning more time spent fighting random mobs that aggro near nodes.

There are a good number of people who min-max who are happy about this change, professions should have never been given stat boosts in the first place. Non-combat perks like 2 hour flasks and super cheap enchants are enough for professions, I shouldn't have to have 2 professions that I don't like because I need +640 stats to be min-maxed .
    I had skinning/LW the entire time I was raiding in my HM progression guild. Which is now realm first.

Seriously, professions don't matter unless you're in Paragon. Swapping between professions to chase the most optimal one was downright silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    Also taking in to account most if not all of these developers come from progressively liberal schools and their ideology is bleeding over to the game i.e everyone should be equal.
    You've gotta be fucking kidding me.
    These forums are just a sad echo chamber, and MMO-C is more like an echo outhouse, but fortunately (or maybe I'm just lucky), most people you actually meet in game are not like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    I shouldn't have to have 2 professions that I don't like because I need +640 stats to be min-maxed .
    So you want gathering professions, right? Why not have them roll gathering into their respective production professions. No reason not to at this rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Mr.EvilGreedyPresident goes "MWAHAHAH YOU PUNY PROGRAMMER, I'M BUYING A NEW FERRARI AND THERE'S O MONEY LEFT FOR YOUR PUNY CONTENT, WITHER AND DIE AND SCREW THE PLAYERS MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA *thunder echoes in the distance*"
    Main - Useful PvP Items

This is what I imagine Blizzard will do to crating professions in WoD:

1.) Remove the profession specific bonuses, BUT
    2.) Give them free (or very cheap) versions of shoulder/leg enchants etc.
    3.) Maintain the ability to create very powerful BoE armor that uses BoP crafting materials, like Imperial Silk/Celestial Cloth/Balanced Trillium Ingot etc

For example:

Blacksmiths lose the Bracer/Glove extra socket, but can continue to create BoE Belt Buckles, and will also be able to attach a Buckle to their belts for a very low cost. This way, they do not have a "power" advantage over non-BS, but do gain a "cost" advantage.

Ditto with Scribes/Shoulder Enchants and Tailors/Leg Enchants. Other professions would gain similar financial advantages, but no profession would have access to a unique stats boost.
    Last edited by jhneoh; 2014-05-02 at 07:36 AM.

I welcome it aswell, some people feel forced to go a certain profession because of it's effectiveness in combat over others

So you want gathering professions, right? Why not have them roll gathering into their respective production professions. No reason not to at this rate.
    Frankly there's never been a good reason not to.

Except that that would reduce the amount of professions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jhneoh View Post
    This is what I imagine Blizzard will do to crating professions in WoD:

1.) Remove the profession specific bonuses, BUT
    2.) Give them free (or very cheap) versions of shoulder/leg enchants etc.
    3.) Maintain the ability to create very powerful BoE armor that uses BoP crafting materials, like Imperial Silk/Celestial Cloth/Balanced Trillium Ingot etc

For example:

Blacksmiths lose the Bracer/Glove extra socket, but can continue to create BoE Belt Buckles, and will also be able to attach a Buckle to their belts for a very low cost. This way, they do not have a "power" advantage over non-BS, but do gain a "cost" advantage.

Ditto with Scribes/Shoulder Enchants and Tailors/Leg Enchants. Other professions would gain similar financial advantages, but no profession would have access to a unique stats boost.
    Thing is they're probably removing most or all of the shoulder/leg/wrist/belt enchants/gems/sockets, as part of their scheme to reduce the burden of gear modification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Just saw that change, I'm really not happy about it. I have 5 characters who are engineer + something else and I am working on the 6th. I don't use my professions to make money but to craft stuff for my toons and for the combat bonuses. It's part of min maxing a character. Why taking away this possibility from the people who want to do it? Simply because some people are not willing to do so? That's a bad move from Blizzard I think.
    Hardly min/maxing when they all give the same statistical bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    You just stated the exact reason they are doing this change.
    You took engineering 5 times because for you it was simply a better combat bonus provided by that profession.
    Min-maxing should be done through gearing, not professions.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Hardly min/maxing when they all give the same statistical bonus.
    If they were the same there would not be this issue.
    That is simply not the case though.
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I am leveling a mage to 60 (because I honestly don't mind the 1-60 content) and then boosting it. I just don't know what professions to boost. I was thinking tailoring, because I don't have a tailor. I also considered enchanting although I already have two enchanters. I would do engineering but don't see the point since rocket belt will be a saleable tinker in wod.

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I am leveling a mage to 60 (because I honestly don't mind the 1-60 content) and then boosting it. I just don't know what professions to boost. I was thinking tailoring, because I don't have a tailor. I also considered enchanting although I already have two enchanters. I would do engineering but don't see the point since rocket belt will be a saleable tinker in wod.
    At present we don't know for certain which tinkers will become saleable, and which might be just removed.
    Nitro Boosts due to the obvious benefit during combat are certainly going to be getting a lot of attention.
    I think that with the changes to how speed boots operate though, I would think they are almost certainly going to be around still.
    I am not so sure about throughput tinkers though.

Enchanting will have considerably less slots able to be enchanted.
    Tailoring we know very little about, though with the inventory changes coming I am not sure there will be quite the demand for the new bags there used to be, plus I have a theory we might see the end of profession bags.

Don't worry, JC and Engineers can still make flying mounts.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

I guess I could just boost mining and farm while queued for bgs.