Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[Spoilers] Arakkoa Culture (Archaeology)

From the descriptions of Arakkoa archaeology items, it seems the Outcasts worship the Old God seen in Outland, and it seems that Old God is under Skettis. Not only that, but the uncorrupted Arakkoa seem to be afraid of "catching" the curse the deformed Arakkoa have. From the Archaeology item called "Outcast Dreamcatcher" the curse is called the Curse of Sethe ("Sethe" possibly being the name of the Old God?). Terokk also seems to have been cursed and exiled, despite being the champion of the Arakkoa god, Rukhmar. In the current timeline, worship of Rukhmar was abandoned in favor of worshiping the Old God. Rukhmar is also called the "Sun-God" here, and Terokk apparently was once the king of the Arakkoa.

Talonpriests are part of the Outcast culture, and they seem to worship Anzu, as well.

The Apexis have apparently been long gone by the time we go to Draenor.

Dreamcatcher - When Terokk returned from exile he was broken and flightless. Rumors of his cursed state swept like wildfire through the Arakkoa, giving rise to superstitious charms and cures. Dreamcatchers endure as one of the most clung-to icons of safety, for the Arakkoa believe the curse will entangle itself in the dreamcatcher and fade in the morning sunlight.
    Burial Urn - In death all Arakkoa seek to join the Sun-God Rukhmar in the skies above Draenor, thus cremation is vastly preferred to burial. Some have their ashes scattered high in the skies, others are collected in ornate urns and placed in crypts.
    Decree Scrolls - The incomplete writings here seem to indicate a decree of a sort of martial law, and reminders to be vigilant for signs of the curse amongst neighbors and friends.
    Solar Orb PH - Central to High Arakkoan culture is reverence of Rukhmar and the sun. Hundreds of Solar Orbs are scattered around [Explosion Town], which cast a never-ending light so no Arakkoan need go without the sun's warmth, even on a cold and overcast day.
    Sundial - This delicately-engraved instrument, when positioned correctly, acts as both a sundial and an arakkoa seasonal calendar. The base of the instrument is covered with callouts for celestial events, most of which are accompanied by grave warnings. Interestingly, the device seems to have cryptically predicted the arrival of the draenei a century before it happened.
    Talonpriest Mask - Believing they have been abandoned by the sun, cursed Arakkoa prefer to hide in the forests or beneath awnings during daylight hours. Talonpriests take this a step further and never show their faces to the sun, wearing ritual masks that act as a focus for their communes with Anzu.
    Outcast Dreamcatcher - Outcast Arakkoa have repurposed the dreamcatcher not to ward off the Curse of Sethe, but to capture and harvest tiny amounts of essences from their lost gods. Rumors persist of an ever-growing mass of swirling energy buried deep beneath Skettis, whispering promises of power to any who will listen...
    Apexis Crystal - Scattered in the most ancient of ruins on Draenor are fragments and whispers of the Apexis civilization, who attained a height of power during the Age of Order and then abruptly vanished. The arrival of the Iron Horde has prompted a secret but urgent escalation in retriving Apexis artifacts by the Adherents.
    Apexis Hieroglyph - Brittle and ancient beyond measure, this stone tablet contains carvings that vaguely describe an engine of incredible power, claiming to harness the power of the sun.
    Apexis Scroll - This battered scroll case has corroded shut, and the scroll within is barely readable with very careful examination. These appear to be plans and measurements for a glorious Temple in the Sky written in an ancient hand. It's unclear whether such a splendid structure was ever built.
    Beakbreaker of Terokk - Eschewing traditional Arakkoan weaponry, Terokk carried this cudgel as a symbol of his fall from king to outcast heretic. Rumors have persisted for centuries that rather than employing traditional wing-cutting as a punishment, Terokk simply shattered the beaks of those who dared to oppose him.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2014-04-22 at 12:58 AM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apexis Crystal - Scattered in the most ancient of ruins on Draenor are fragments and whispers of the Apexis civilization, who attained a height of power during the Age of Order and then abruptly vanished. The arrival of the Iron Horde has prompted a secret but urgent escalation in retriving Apexis artifacts by the Adherents.
    I wonder if the Age of Order is referring to the titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I wonder if the Age of Order is referring to the titans.
    Doubtful, Titans didn't stay long on Draenor, it probably refers to a period of harmony between the plant-based-creatures and rock-based-creatures on Draenor.

Anyone else think the Apexis "Vanished" because they all got into the "Sky Temple"?
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Doubtful, Titans didn't stay long on Draenor, it probably refers to a period of harmony between the plant-based-creatures and rock-based-creatures on Draenor.

Anyone else think the Apexis "Vanished" because they all got into the "Sky Temple"?
    I'm guessing that may come into play if we get an Arakkoa raid tier.

It makes sense since it seems that even the current Arakkoa aren't sure what happened to the Apexis. Perhaps this Sky Temple and the long lost Apexis will come to "deliver" the other Arakkoa to salvation and use crystal technology, just like the monuments on the surface, to harness the power of the sun and BURN all the other lesser races on Draenor they see as filth and ultimately a threat to the planet.

Maybe the Apexis sought to flee from the Earth Giants/Ogres/Gronn when they saw the Curse of Flesh turn them into violent, primitive versions of their former selves. And perhaps this marked the end of the Age of Order.
    Last edited by RedFenix; 2014-04-22 at 06:01 AM.
    "Pulsars are the bulimic cosmic anomalies..."

The age of order may merely be a time in Draenor's history where the Arakkoa were the dominant civilization, and things were in 'order' from their perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix View Post
    It makes sense since it seems that even the current Arakkoa aren't sure what happened to the Apexis. Perhaps this Sky Temple and the long lost Apexis will come to "deliver" the other Arakkoa to salvation and use crystal technology, just like the monuments on the surface, to harness the power of the sun and BURN all the other lesser races on Draenor they see as filth and ultimately a threat to the planet.

Maybe the Apexis sought to flee from the Earth Giants/Ogres/Gronn when they saw the Curse of Flesh turn them into violent, primitive versions of their former selves. And perhaps this marked the end of the Age of Order.
    I'm betting the Sky-Temple was "Time-Lost", and the "Time-Lost" Arakkoa in Skettis were in charge of figuring out what happened to it, and now that all of Draenor is technically "Time-Lost" the Sky Temple will return.
    Twas brillig

I'm betting the Sky-Temple was "Time-Lost", and the "Time-Lost" Arakkoa in Skettis were in charge of figuring out what happened to it, and now that all of Draenor is technically "Time-Lost" the Sky Temple will return.
    o___O ...That is a really good hypothesis. I never thought of that. Perhaps the altering of the normal flow of time by Kairoz will have some kind of effect on the Time-Lost Sky Temple, and that will allow the Apexis to return to solidify their place as rulers of Draenor again.

I guess they made Rukhmar the Sun God instead of Arak?

Expect a giant post from me sometime this week/next with a theory about this linking to the Old Gods..

I've been holding a theory that's slowly grown since I first did the Arrakoa questline in Shadowmoon Valley. Everything that's been revealed with this latest batch of datamining reaffirms my theory more-so, but I don't wanna spoil it here :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post
    I guess they made Rukhmar the Sun God instead of Arak?
    I think "Arak" was just going to be a placeholder name for a while. Even in BC, we knew they revered a being named Rukhmar. Makes more sense to continue with that name as their main god. Though, I suspect there will be a person/being named Arak as well, in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    I think "Arak" was just going to be a placeholder name for a while. Even in BC, we knew they revered a being named Rukhmar. Makes more sense to continue with that name as their main god. Though, I suspect there will be a person/being named Arak as well, in the end.
    I doubt that Arak is the current ruler of the Arakkoa. There isn't any indicator that the Arakkoa have long lifespans and I feel that Arak would be an appropriate name of someone who first gave the Arakkoa their racial name.

Perhaps Arak is one of their greatest rulers of the past or maybe their first. Arak might have been the ruler of the Apexis, whom it seems had the most powerful civilization on Draenor at some point during the Age of Order. Arak might have also been the Arakkoa progenitor. He could have been a big bird Ancient of Draenor whom the Arakkoa descended from.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also, one other theory I wanted to throw out there...

To me, that purple land mass just west of the Spires of Arak and south of Nagrand/Talador would be a perfect place for an Apexis Temple of the Sky to descend from the heavens and launch an assault on the lesser/cursed races of Draenor. Thoughts?
    Last edited by RedFenix; 2014-04-22 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix View Post
    I doubt that Arak is the current ruler of the Arakkoa. There isn't any indicator that the Arakkoa have long lifespans and I feel that Arak would be an appropriate name of someone who first gave the Arakkoa their racial name.

Perhaps Arak is one of their greatest rulers of the past or maybe their first. Arak might have been the ruler of the Apexis, whom it seems had the most powerful civilization on Draenor at some point during the Age of Order. Arak might have also been the Arakkoa progenitor. He could have been a big bird Ancient of Draenor whom the Arakkoa descended from.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also, one other theory I wanted to throw out there...

-snip-

To me, that purple land mass just west of the Spires of Arak and south of Nagrand/Talador would be a perfect place for an Apexis Temple of the Sky to descend from the heavens and launch an assault on the lesser/cursed races of Draenor. Thoughts?
    Well, we know they revere the sun, and the Sun-God Rukhmar. In the WoW Magazine, Brann Bronzebeard said that the Arakkoa most likely came from Anzu - oddly, Anzu is worshiped by the Outcasts, not the noble Arakkoa. From what it sounds like, the Outcast culture (as well as the Curse of Sethe) wound up taking over all of the Arakkoa in our timeline, as their buildings, masks, and beliefs match the Outcasts in alternate Draenor.

It seems the noble Arakkoa (Adherents?) have some kind of watered-down Apexis influence in their culture. The Apexis tried to harness the power of the sun into a cannon - it was said (on the official WoD site) that the Arakkoa burn the flightless races from above with the power of the sun. The Arakkoa also live atop the spires, and the Apexis were trying to make a temple in the sky. It should be noted, however, that both the Adherents and Outcasts use superstitious means to achieve some goals - such as using Dreamcatchers.

My guess? Arak was either a great leader of the current Arakkoa, or he/it was a notable Arakkoa of the Apexis. If Brann's guess is right, Anzu created the race, and is some sort of ancient/demi-god like Goldrinn, Aviana, etc. It's also noted that Rukhmar is the most notable god in Arakkoa culture, and always has been. That's why I guess that Arak is/was a person, rather than a deity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmm, burgeoning evil lurking beneath the world - daddy likes.

Deleted
    So theory time:

> Arrakoa created by the Old Gods, Arrak the Dread God (explaining the name similarities)
    > At some point the Arrakoa break away from the Old Gods and take up a deity system similar to the Nelfs. Ruhkmar equivalent to Elune, Anzu like an Ancient.
    > The Appexis Empire rises up and then vanishes.
    > Arrak and one of his minions Sethe curse some of the Arrakoa including Terrok and Anzu. These Arrakoa are outcast and are subdued into Worshipping Arrak as in the millennia past.

Arakkoa lore is as always, quite cloudy; and these tidbits here only make it cloudier. Hopefully WoD will actually explain some of this mess.

As for deities, we now have:

Ruhkmar, the sun god:
    -The Arakkoa's chief god, whom they largely abandoned after the curse appeared.

The Dread God, Arakk
    -Likely the "dark master" that many now serve, including Terokk. Possibly an Old God and according to a stained glass window, visibly resembles a cross between an Arakkoa and an Old God. Name fits with the Dread Raven/Dread Hatchling of the WoD collector's edition, but this conflicts with Anzu.

Anzu, the Raven Lord:
    - Apparently a demigod usurper that was/will be punished for "flying too high" (perhaps a reference to both Icarus and the Sumerian Anzu myth?). Seemingly an important figure to the Arakkoa in general, and previously said to have links to Terokk. Some Arakkoa worship him, but these may be outcasts.

"Darkfire":
    -Only mentioned once and possibly retconned out of existence. However the name sounds similar to a void being that will feature in SMV's new questlines.

An unknown Old God:
    -Possibly Arakk or Darkfire.

Many questions remain, including why the Arakkoa seem to be named after Arakk? What is Anzu's connection to the Arakkoa, and to Ruhkmar and Arakk? And who the hell is 'Darkfire'? Why do Terokk and the Talonpriests seem to be conflictingly linked to both Anzu and this supposed Old God?

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Well, we know they revere the sun, and the Sun-God Rukhmar. In the WoW Magazine, Brann Bronzebeard said that the Arakkoa most likely came from Anzu - oddly, Anzu is worshiped by the Outcasts, not the noble Arakkoa. From what it sounds like, the Outcast culture (as well as the Curse of Sethe) wound up taking over all of the Arakkoa in our timeline, as their buildings, masks, and beliefs match the Outcasts in alternate Draenor.

It seems the noble Arakkoa (Adherents?) have some kind of watered-down Apexis influence in their culture. The Apexis tried to harness the power of the sun into a cannon - it was said (on the official WoD site) that the Arakkoa burn the flightless races from above with the power of the sun. The Arakkoa also live atop the spires, and the Apexis were trying to make a temple in the sky. It should be noted, however, that both the Adherents and Outcasts use superstitious means to achieve some goals - such as using Dreamcatchers.

My guess? Arak was either a great leader of the current Arakkoa, or he/it was a notable Arakkoa of the Apexis. If Brann's guess is right, Anzu created the race, and is some sort of ancient/demi-god like Goldrinn, Aviana, etc. It's also noted that Rukhmar is the most notable god in Arakkoa culture, and always has been. That's why I guess that Arak is/was a person, rather than a deity.
    Seeing as there isn't any individual in the 5-man by the name of Arak, except for the Araknath which is "A construct of ancient Arakkoan civilization powered by the light of the sun" from the recently datamined Spires of Arak Encounter Journal, I'm leaning towards agreeing with your guess that Arak was either a great ancestral leader of the current Arakkoa or the Apexis.

If Anzu is the Arakkoa's progenitor Ancient in Draenor, it seems that the demi-god at some point threw his lot in with the "dark master" that the Sethekk/Outcasts/Dark Conclave worship.

What I'm not clear about is Terokk... We know that Terokk was considered Rukhmar's champion/prophet. What the BC lore DIDN'T elaborate on was him becoming afflicted with this Curse of Sethe and losing his status as ruler and becoming the leader of the Outcasts. It was only stated that for some unknown reason, the worship of Rukhmar was abandoned and at the same time Terokk disappeared. I'm assuming that when he became the leader of these Outcasts, he made enemies (an Arakkoa, a Colossus, a Warp Stalker, and a Wind Serpent) who imprisoned/banished him. Being banished by these creatures to some "Time-Lost"/ethereal or mirrored "Limbo World" would have explained his disappearence. Apparently Terokk's talonpriests sacrificed creatures of those various races to the dark powers that they worshiped, so that's why the leaders of those creatures banished him. I think that the one Arakkoa who helped banish him could have been a loyalist of the Arakkoa that still worshiped the Sun-God, Rukhmar.

--------------------------------

What this does is paint a clear picture on the schism of the Arakkoa religion into two groups and better ties together/explain their religious and cultural history. It appears that this schism occured VERY recently prior to the destruction of Draenor. We have:

-Terokk and his Outcasts who are afflicted with the Curse of Sethe. This group worships Anzu as well as their "Dark Master" who is an Old God that they might refer to as "Darkfire" or possibly Sethe.

AND

-The non-cursed Adherant/Nobles who still worship the Sun God Rukhmar and still have some ties to the Apexis and some watered down version of their crystal technology that uses vibrations and captures the power of the sun. This group might be the "Adherents of Arakk - Worshippers of the dread god Arakk, these vile filth seek to stain the world with the blood of their foes." There might be some connection between Arakk and Rukhmar.
    Last edited by RedFenix; 2014-04-22 at 10:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems Arak and Anzu are related, Arak being the "good" guy and Anzu the "bad" guy in arakkoan culture. Brann Bronzebeard links Anzu with the Arakkoa. What if Arak and Anzu are both Ancient brothers, just like Ursoc and Ursol are on Azeroth? Two enemy brothers though, one representing Order, Arak, linked to the Sun and Light, and the other representing Chaos, Anzu, linked to Night and Shadow. The Arakkoa named themselves after Arak, the lord of Order. The Arakkoa would therefore follow a manicheistic religion.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2014-04-23 at 03:10 AM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    It seems Arak and Anzu are related, Arak being the "good" guy and Anzu the "bad" guy in arakkoan culture. Brann Bronzebeard links Anzu with the Arakkoa. What if Arak and Anzu are both Ancient brothers, just like Ursoc and Ursol are on Azeroth? Two enemy brothers though, one representing Order, Arak, linked to the Sun and Light, and the other representing Chaos, Anzu, linked to Night and Shadow. The Arakkoa named themselves after Arak, the lord of Order. The Arakkoa would then follow a manicheistic religion.
    This very well could be true. Arakk might be the brother that is not afflicted with the Curse of Sethe and is still able to fly and still follows Rukhmar. Anzu could be the flightless, cursed demi-god brother that follows the "Dark Master" Old God. It'll be interesting how Blizz fleshes out the relationship between Rukhmar, Arakk, Anzu, Terokk, and the Old God on Draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    It seems Arak and Anzu are related, Arak being the "good" guy and Anzu the "bad" guy in arakkoan culture. Brann Bronzebeard links Anzu with the Arakkoa. What if Arak and Anzu are both Ancient brothers, just like Ursoc and Ursol are on Azeroth? Two enemy brothers though, one representing Order, Arak, linked to the Sun and Light, and the other representing Chaos, Anzu, linked to Night and Shadow. The Arakkoa named themselves after Arak, the lord of Order. The Arakkoa would therefore follow a manicheistic religion.
    Since Arakk is called the "Dread God" I would imagine that Rukhmar and Arakk are opposites, and Anzu is simply a powerful demigod, somewhere in-between.