Cops aren't the only profession that does stupid stuff.

With all the anti cop threads that say how bad cops are for doing their job I wanted to bring this to people's attention. ATT technician died after her first work day in the field. The customer she was working at was a Doctor. He decided to be selfish and demanded she stay and finish the job. She was there until 1am. even with the help of other techs. She died in a car accident on the way home from the job. You'd think the dr would've been concerned about fatigue and stuff. I mean he is a dr. Companies really need to learn to stand up to customers like this. She may have still been alive had the Dr been understanding that it was her first day on her own and let her come back the next day.

http://cwa9511.com/att-premise-techn...-19-years-old/

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not true. Besides the god-awful grammar of the article and the terrible fake picture, there are no news reports going back 10 days (this article is from the 28th) that show anything for anyone with either of her names, much less her picture of a 19 year old dying in a car accident after a long day at work. Can't find an obituary, either.

But, this does bring up a good point about overwork. If it were true, it wouldn't be surprising. A lot of companies in America stress working as much as possible - not just for more money to support a family but because it's looked upon as a good thing even though it leads to mistakes and deaths (especially in the healthcare industry).

EDIT: http://www.kaufmanherald.com/news/ar...a4bcf887a.html

I found that but it says nothing about being an AT&T worker, the cause, or any details in the other article.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Staying up a little past your bedtime doesn't typically render you incapable of operating your vehicle correctly.
    Doing so repeteadly and for prolonged times will however deteriorate you very fast.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    She coulda just said no but okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Staying up a little past your bedtime doesn't typically render you incapable of operating your vehicle correctly.
    Staying up, no. Staying up after a very long and trying day that involved physical and mental exhaustion, would.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Staying up, no. Staying up after a very long and trying day that involved physical and mental exhaustion, would.
    Agreed. There have been times where I drove after days like this where I was not safe to be on the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Agreed. There have been times where I drove after days like this where I was not safe to be on the road.
    I believe there's some measure that being awake for 24 hours and then driving gives you an equivalent reaction time and attention span to being over the drink drive limit. Not sure how scientific that measure is. But if you're awake for probably 16 and work very hard physically during the day... makes sense, probably very similar.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    With all the anti cop threads that say how bad cops are for doing their job I wanted to bring this to people's attention. ATT technician died after her first work day in the field. The customer she was working at was a Doctor. He decided to be selfish and demanded she stay and finish the job. She was there until 1am. even with the help of other techs. She died in a car accident on the way home from the job. You'd think the dr would've been concerned about fatigue and stuff. I mean he is a dr. Companies really need to learn to stand up to customers like this. She may have still been alive had the Dr been understanding that it was her first day on her own and let her come back the next day.

http://cwa9511.com/att-premise-techn...-19-years-old/
    How do you know fatigue had anything to do with it? The link states they don't know the cause of the accident.

Fake or not, the fact is since 2008 employer attitudes toward employees have been regressing back toward the 19th century faster than the speed of light.

- - - Updated - - -

Several years ago my employer was a dick and constantly refused to hire enough people to get the job done, so it was constantly big overtime across the board for everybody, and I was living in a bedroom town making a highway commute and on one particular drive I fell asleep at the wheel. Fortunately it was a very straight highway, so I spent enough time on the rough shoulder to wake me up before I went into the ditch.

But yeah... I could have easily been a part of the sleep deprivation statistics.

And in big, wealthy, cities like Dallas "Drive to qualify" is pretty damn common. So super commuting isn't a choice for most people.

EDIT: And they've kind of gone back to the same routine, refusing to hire.
    There's a stack of resumes 3 inches thick on the HR desk; people are having difficulty finding work in my province right now, their employees are getting burned out and getting injured left and right, and yet here they are "herpaderr we don't need more people, the people we have just need to work more overtime and stop getting sick and injured"
    Last edited by Gheld; 2014-04-05 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does this relate to bad cops threads? Did the Doctor threaten the guy with a gun or taser? Or was it an off-duty doctor riding in a motorcycle gang that ran him off the road? Or was the off-duty doctor driving his BMW at 120 mph just to get home faster?

Where is ATT's culpability? I mean most of their field techs are basically contractors at this point. So they have about zero working protections. I mean a in-house tech would have qualified for OT, and a shift manager wouldn't allow that.
    If this was Verizon or Time-Warner, they would have told that doctor to just schedule another 4-hour appointment window for the next day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cops only get a bad reputation because very rarely do people go out of their way to expose a good cop. If you're stopped by a cop, which cop do you think you'd rant about? The cop that was polite and let you go w/o any ticket or the cop that ripped you out of your car and slammed your face against the hood of you car? Most likely it's the later and that's just what sells. The media doesn't want to cover cops that do their job correctly, they want to cover the stories that will grab your attention. This is why I make fun of all my friends who are anti-cop... Being part of the marijuana scene, there's too many people to count who have childish paranoia of cops. Every time they see a cop car, they tense up and refuse to talk until the cop is out of sight. I don't hate cops, I appreciate what they do because they're willingly risking their lives everyday to protect the people. Now I know someone will go on a rant about how cops are pigs etc, but that's not what reality is. I've been stopped by cops because they thought I was a potential criminal, I mean what other reasons they could they be stopping someone randomly while they're walking home? Anyways, every time they do, it usually ends w/ some conversation about the latest trends or possibly netflix vs hulu+. As long as you treat a cop like a human and understand their emotional patterns, nothing bad happens.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I think there's a big difference between stupid stuff and being held accountable for it, versus "I felt like my life was in danger, so I shot him with an automatic military grade weapon so it's ok that I killed him".
    Last edited by Shurkuris; 2014-04-05 at 06:06 PM.

I didn't bother reading the OP, just the title of the thread and wanted to say that statement is technically true. Clowns, stuntmen and Johnny Knoxvile all have professions that require them to do stupid stuff...