Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why does everyone hate David Cage?

Founder of Quantic Dream, developers that make cinematic games like Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls. He is often made fun of in many forums and called a terrible person and writer, and is often lampooned in the Two Best Friends Play playthroughs on Youtube.

Why?
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Deleted
    I don't know why everyone hates David Cage, however heres first google result of "Why does everyone hate David Cage? ": http://www.screwattack.com/news/why-...ate-david-cage

I like him. He tries to be creative, sometimes too much I suppose.

His reception is polarizing.

I don't hate him, but I love making fun of him. He's just silly as hell and easy to poke fun at. I think that's what most people are doing, they're poking fun at him because it's fun and easy. I mean, from what I've seen of his games he really overpromises on being able to deliver well written, emotional, stories and all, but I don't hate him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Founder of Quantic Dream, developers that make cinematic games like Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls. He is often made fun of in many forums and called a terrible person and writer, and is often lampooned in the Two Best Friends Play playthroughs on Youtube.

Why?
    ... Have you read what they are saying or do you just look for "David Cage is a doo-doo head." posts?

2BFP rips into Cage during their Indigo Prophecy and lays it out why he's such a hack in repeated instances.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Deleted
    I loved every second of Fahrenheit the first time I played it.

I remember watching Jesse play some of his games and whenever something really stupid happens, he says something like ''thats David Cage's work already''

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    cause he makes movies and calls them games.
    Coz if they were actual movies they probably be straight to dvd.

I enjoyed Fahrenheit, but I far preferred Omikron: The Nomad Soul. Despite the irritating unskippable cutscene towards the beginning, and some frustrating controls.

Haven't played Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls, but I can understand why people might hate Cage based on his writing. Fahrenheit was interesting, but the dialogue was average at best.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

If he wants to make movies he should just make movies. Also the story lines in his games are awful, and would be marked as shitty movies. Actually, I answered my own question as to why he doesn't make movies.

Chelly
    Because he sets up interesting themes and ruin them with asspull magic and sci-fi bullshit.
    Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit would've been interesting enough as a murder mystery, but then it turned into ancient mayan DBZ.
    Heavy Rain would've been better than garbage without the future sci-fi glasses.
    Beyond Two Souls? Well that interactive movie would've been much better without the garbage plot timeline layout and ghosts of native american shamans.

Also plotholes and really bad dialogues.
    Last edited by Chelly; 2014-04-06 at 11:15 AM.

Deleted
    I don't hate him, but he makes it very easy for people to make fun of certain aspects of his games (the storylines, which is entirely his writing.) I'm not going to lie, I genuinely enjoyed watching a friend play through beyond:two souls, but the story was pretty flimsy, stereotyped and cliched, getting rapidly less believeable as it went on, which makes it very easy to make fun of which is what we were doing quite frequently.

Compare it to the writing of the telltale games and well.. it's really just not comparable because the quality is so different. I like the interactive movie genre but it only gets pulled off if it would be a great movie to begin with.

Deleted
    I like his games so no, I don't hate him

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hated beyond two souls as a game, it is not game at all, the choices were just there for the sake of stating that it was a game that "you can have achoice", the game plays itself, for heavy rain... blergh, couldn't even empathize with a parent that was that stupid.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    The man is a retard, "Games shouldn't have a game over screen, if they do it is a failure of a game". What the actual fuck? What is the point in it all if you can't fail? It removes any potential for drama through gameplay if the result of it is irrelevant.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu Oshino View Post
    The man is a retard, "Games shouldn't have a game over screen, if they do it is a failure of a game". What the actual fuck? What is the point in it all if you can't fail? It removes any potential for drama through gameplay if the result of it is irrelevant.
    That's also what killed the tension in all "gamey" sections in Beyond: Two Souls. Why bother actually sneaking around when you can just rush to the finish? You can't die anyways.

David Cage talk to much. He talks about what he hates in current game industry then does exact same thing. His is a secret apprentice of Peter Molyneux.

I remember his interview, back in 2012 when Beyond was in development, where he spoke about how game developers do the same games again and again and how he dislike that modern industry lacks of real innovations, while he himself created QTE drama then QTE drama then QTE drama. Even Omikron was more of a story-driven drama with horrible gameplay.

I don't hate him in general, but sometimes I simply don't understand his intentions and vision.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2014-04-06 at 11:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    That's also what killed the tension in all "gamey" sections in Beyond: Two Souls. Why bother actually sneaking around when you can just rush to the finish? You can't die anyways.
    Needs more "SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    David Cage talk to much. He talks about what he hates in current industry then does exact same thing. His is a secret apprentice of Peter Molyneux.
    I think David Cage is what happens when Molyneux clones himself and then merges with that clone to form the ultimate idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    So lets call david cage the M. Night Shyamalan of games, some critics like the game and he goes insane and proceeds to release turd after turd
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35