Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Yeah yeah we all know wow is not like it use to be but what if ....

Lets say we were able to all vote on which patch to revert the game back to but keep up with the new content where would you put us ?

at which point do you think the game was at its best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say that would put us right about where the other several thousand threads regarding this would be.

No, seriously though. There are tons of threads regarding this. I'd suggest doing a search and looking up the polls.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    6.0 of course.

Whichever patch it was when you first got to max level.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Patch 3.0.3 or 1.12.1.

But seriously no, the game sucked so hard back then.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'd say that would put us right about where the other several thousand threads regarding this would be.

No, seriously though. There are tons of threads regarding this. I'd suggest doing a search and looking up the polls.

don't reply simple as that im not trying to do research?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Of-the-horde View Post
    Patch 3.0.3
    i'd have to agree, a lot of stuff was nice then

either that or 3.0.8, the patch before ulduar

Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    i'd have to agree, a lot of stuff was nice then

almost all of Wrath was perfect if id say so my self

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    Yeah that patch unlocked dk's on all realms. It was nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    3.0.3, but i'd like to go back to when TBC was first released aswell. I think I prefer TBC/Wotlk the most because those were the first expansions that offered rating requirement on gear. Sure Warlord/Grand Marshal gear had some requirement, but that requirement required you to have multiple people playing your account to farm HWL/GM. Obtaining 2k~ rating was something all people could do w/o having to invest hours upon hours upon hours. I loved getting a new piece of gear when the season started until I was fully decked w/ the best gear. It provided that same euphoria rush as PvE does when you kill a boss and your BiS drops. Because I wasn't always able to raid aside from 3-4 scheduled raids, that meant the only way to get a BiS equivalent was to PvP. Sure I sucked when I started, but I studied classes and read up on comps. I learned how to counter other comps w/ my comp and I learned to read the way players play.

I would just join a private server, but most are EU and raiding w/ a 250~ ping makes me a sad panda.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    game-state overall anywhere 2.0-2.2.x. this is intentional to be before the 2.3 leveling/dungeon changes.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

not sure really its hard for me to decide on what exactly i enjoyed about the early game, i have to admit, i didn't mind a lot of the arbitrary things that were cut from the game in the name of consistency.

i liked that rogues and hunters needed to stock poisons and arrows
    i liked that classes had to use regents for buffs
    i liked that certain classes were good at certain tasks and mediocre at others
    i liked group quests and attunements
    i liked that stats had a little more complexity and there were various ways to stat a viable class
    i liked that boss fights were relatively simple endurance encounters

do i think any of this matters now, no, do i hope it will all come back no, but it doesn't stop me from remembering i had a fun time when all of this was in place, and feel that however arbitrary some of it was it didn't necessarily make the game worst, just more complex.

I remember the day i realised that wow was headed for streamlined perfection when they consolidated healing spells and magic damage into spell power, that was the patch that made me realise that class diversity was going the way of the dinosaur. I do feel a little rose tinted, what we had was more akin to an mmo D&D with dynamics and gimmicks, it wasn't hard in a specific sense it just had a little more depth, flavour depth. time consuming aspects that didn't revolve around doing x amount of dailies.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-04-07 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frymastermeat View Post
    Whichever patch it was when you first got to max level.
    i cannot agree with this, i started with wow back in vanilla February 2005 (release date in europe). the european version started off with the muraudon patch. And seriously vanilla was nice back than, but i wouldn´t want to play THAT today.
    the game design was still so different in vanilla.

the best experience i got for quite some time was in bc, different 10 and 25 raids were just perfect for me back than. i liked it more than the 10/25 man raids later, cause the size of rooms, places etc in these raids was tuned to 10 respective 25 players.

cata was a downer for me and in contrary to that, pandaria just flashed me. beautiful regions, towns, monsters and bosses, a nice questflow and really good raids.
    and i am also really excited for wod atm.

Edit: WotLK was a good and solid add on, but only somewhere in the middle for me. (I expected a little more from WotLK, the announced Azjol`Nerub area was cancelled, Naxxramas was reused and Anub'arak was killed in one of the early instances. the destroyer from wc3 were nowhere to be seen and dalaran was a little too laggy for most of the time.)
    Last edited by sandini; 2014-04-07 at 03:27 PM.

I had the most fun in BC, but I think that's mostly because BC is when my guild was at its strongest. We all got along well, enjoyed raiding, had no problems filling up our 25-man raid group, did all sorts of fun world PvP events together, and so on. We were joking/laughing on Vent and having a good time, and we still got stuff done. While I loved Wrath a lot too, that expansion is where my guild started struggling for a number of reasons (our well-liked GM had to quit, likewise with our raid leader, our server started dying, a few people left, we picked up some players to replace them from a "server first" guild who were elitist douchebags and acted like a cancer to the guild, etc) and slowly went on a downward spiral.

Outland is also my favorite world in WoW, so there's that too. Stepping through the Dark Portal and seeing Hellfire Peninsula for the first time is something I won't forget. Same feeling for pretty much every Outland zone as I entered for the first time.

6.0 - I've lived through the other patches and would never willingly revert the game back to what it was. The improvements made thus far are just fine for me.

Weird hypothetical, but sure.

I'd vote 1.7 myself, just to see what happened. I think the consensus would be something like the wotlk Ulduar patch though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Weird hypothetical, but sure.

I'd vote 1.7 myself, just to see what happened. I think the consensus would be something like the wotlk Ulduar patch though.
    to have some context, the question would also include what patch each person answering started in.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

I wish people would just hit the "Last Page" option on this forum and go back and read some of the shit.

"Buh dual spec will ruin the game!" "Warriors should just be tanks" "WTF RANGED HUNTER TRAPS?"

people have 0 imagination and foresight, if the game didn't change and each class didn't become more fun by ebbing and flowing, it'd stagnate into oblivion just like TOR or Conan or warhammer.

I would say every patch up to dragon soul/lfr, the game has not felt the same since

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    to have some context, the question would also include what patch each person answering started in.
    I'm not sure that would be helpful. Many people dismiss a player's claims of when they started or whether or not they raided or still play if that information goes against their beliefs.

For me, I started with a late beta for original WoW and I'd like to see the game go back to before attack power was normalized for weapon speed.