Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Alienware 14 - Is it worth it?

I'm currently using a MacBook Pro (Late 2013 / Retina).
    As you can imagine this laptop is not made for gaming.
    It costs €1499.99 but it can't even run World of WarCraft on low settings.
    Warlords of Draenor looks freaking amazing, so I've been thinking about returning to WoW.
    I'm in a desperate need for a new gaming-laptop.
    My budget is €1400, which is about what an i7, SSD Alienware 14 would cost.
    Is it worth buying an Alienware 14?

You seem to like to burn money so why not.
    Or you could actually pay a real value of item and build the computer by yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demec View Post
    Or you could actually pay a real value of item and build the computer by yourself.
    Well, that wasn't helpful at all.
    - I need a laptop not a PC.
    - I don't know how to build a freaking PC.
    - I don't have the time to build one on my own, which I prefer to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Warlords of Draenor looks freaking amazing, so I've been thinking about returning to WoW.
    I'm in a desperate need for a new gaming-laptop.
    My budget is €1400, which is about what an i7, SSD Alienware 14 would cost.
    Is it worth buying an Alienware 14?
    Alienware generally is not worth buying as you're paying for the name brand on your laptop, not the quality of the parts in your system.

Deleted
    What are you talking about? I'm playing WoW on the exact same laptop (13" Retina-MBP, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Graphics, 8 Gigs of RAM) on medium - high settings without any serious fps issues...

Looks like you're doing something wrong. WoW is mostly CPU-heavy and the i5 can handle it pretty well.
    Last edited by mmocfa3fe6ec47; 2014-04-06 at 10:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover25 View Post
    Alienware generally is not worth buying as you're paying for the name brand on your laptop, not the quality of the parts in your system.
    So you wouldn't recommend one?
    Any other suggestions as far as Gaming-laptop goes?

If you're set on a laptop I would personally recommend Asus...due to space constraints where I live I've been going the same route for years now, and I've never had one of their computers die on me. I've bought new ones twice just as a hardware upgrade, selling the old ones off for $100 or so to friends, and the very first one I bought still runs fine today (it'd be about 5 years old now). I've never needed to send them out for repairs or exercise warranties.

The first was about $800, the second just under $1000. Both ran new games at either the highest setting or the next one down without any trouble, depending on the game. WoW specifically was most optimal on High with the first, the second was fine with Ultra.
    That being said, I don't know how their value stacks up compared to other manufacturers. But I can certainly attest to their function and reliability.

Answering the question about the Alienware specifically...it'll probably perform just fine, yeah. But they're definitely overpriced, and the one I got as my very first gaming laptop did have some hardware issues. Specifically, the charging port came apart inside it and it needed to be shipped off for repair - thankfully under warranty. Other than that it was fine; it even got hit by a semi (don't ask) and continued working for almost 2 years before the graphics card burned out, albeit with an external monitor since the built-in one was shattered.

Alienware its just like apple absolutly not worth money for performance, in same price or even less you can get much batter msi gaming laptop

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    Alienware its just like apple absolutly not worth money for performance, in same price or even less you can get much batter msi gaming laptop
    Suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    For laptops, they seem an ok company. Just remember, lappy GPUs don't have the power of the desktop equivalent. I just looked at the 14 and it has a 765m and is $899.

Put the leftover budget into the best GPU it can handle.

So you wouldn't recommend one?
    Any other suggestions as far as Gaming-laptop goes?
    If you're 100% set on buying a laptop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152560 isn't bad.

Deleted
    If you're 100% set on buying a laptop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152560 isn't bad.
    Is there a 13'' or 14'' version of that?

Is there a 13'' or 14'' version of that?
    Start here

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/X...aming_Notebook

You can customize the specs as you see fit.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2014-04-06 at 12:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Start here

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/X...aming_Notebook

You can customize the specs as you see fit.
    Can't order that, it's not Europe friendly.
    I need a laptop that can be delivered to either Switzerland, Germany or Austria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alienware laptops are actually pretty good. I dunno if they've changed a lot in the past few years, but they have some of the best airflow for laptops, meaning they can actually put decent hardware into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    For good gaming laptops I'd recommend Msi and Asus.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demec View Post
    This x10. I got an m14x r2 last year and man these could barely compete with a self made pc. Besides that my PSU and motherboard got burnt making the whole laptop useless. Well I guess a lesson well learned not to burn your money on expensive piles of crap just to find out that they suck later on. Well that's my experience so it doesn't have to be the same as yours but for me building a pc right now is much better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    This x10. I got an m14x r2 last year and man these could barely compete with a self made pc. Besides that my PSU and motherboard got burnt making the whole laptop useless. Well I guess a lesson well learned not to burn your money on expensive piles of crap just to find out that they suck later on. Well that's my experience so it doesn't have to be the same as yours but for me building a pc right now is much better.
    Why didn't you get the m14x fixed?
    Are you building a laptop or a unit?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been stuck with laptops for a long time, I must admit, but that's because I'm in the Royal Navy and can't carry desktops around.

I like Apple products, but they're expensive for what you pay for; it's a very similar story with Alienware, the brand is where the money goes.

I'd start with ASUS gaming laptops, they've never let me down.

And no matter the spec, avoid Lenovo. I've had nothing but fucking trouble with their products, they're a pain in the arse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps this MSI is what you're looking for. Cheapest shop in the Netherlands offers it for € 1.437. I'm sure you'll be able to find something similar for the countries you mentioned.