10+ Year Old Account

<$700 WoW Build Help

Hey all.

I am looking for some help putting together a build for what will be my first DIY computer since HS (15+ years). I do not really game at all outside of WoW, and the only main use for the computer beyond normal browsing activity is running a Plex server (which may be transcoding to 2-3 devices at once). I may just keep running the Plex server off my current laptop but I have other possible uses for the laptop so I want to keep my options open.

My budget is, ideally, $700 although less would of course be better since it would make the argument with my wife easier. I have a mouse, keyboard, and SSD (which is an mSata since that's what my laptop had, I don't know if that will make a difference in re-using it for a desktop but I'd really like to and another SSD wouldn't be in the budget).

I don't need an OS but I do need a monitor, which wasn't included in the build below. The build below is pretty much taken directly from the "Fair" build at http://www.logicalincrements.com/ - I don't know a lot of about computers, but the information and builds on that site seemed like a good starting point.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.73 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI A88X-G43 ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($75.74 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $600.39
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-07 15:21 EDT-0400)

What should I be looking at for a monitor? I was thinking it would be about $100 but based on a little of what I've read about monitors and IPS vs TN I should probably get an IPS one which more realistically puts me at 130-150 for that, and thus over my budget.

As far as WoW performance I'd ideally like to run WoW on Ultra settings, even during 25 man raids. However, if there is a build that can run on High settings for $100 less, the drop in price is going to be worth it for me.

My questions thus far are: What should I do for a monitor? What should I change about the build listed above? Can I get away with a cheaper build than listed above and still run WoW how I want to?

Finally, I do have a microcenter within a reasonable distance, which may be the best way to go for parts from what I hear.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to look through this and help me with options!

15+ Year Old Account
    Okey a couple of things I'd fix. First and most importantly that AMD processor is a lot weaker strictly for WoW compared to Intel i3's so I'd definitely go with Intel. Other then that I made a few changes to cut down the cost a little. If you want that Corsair 200R you can swap that in since it's about personal opinion mostly (takes you a bit over budget though).

Here's what I'd suggest;

CPU: Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($152.00 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.99 @ Mwave)
    Total: $543.93
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-07 16:00 EDT-0400)

This will leave you with about $150 to spend on a screen which should be enough for one of those entry level ISP's like Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.00 @ Amazon)

I can't guarantee Ultra WoW with flawless FPS on this because your budget simply isn't enough for that. It's the best you can do though unless you wanna spend another ~$120 for Intel Core i5-4670K, z78 mobo and a cooler.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2014-04-07 at 08:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Ghazh. One thing I meant to include in my first post but didn't was that I absolutely don't care about the case at all. As long as it has decent air flow, fits the parts, and has some room to expand that's all that matters to me. I just had that case in there because it was listed on the other website I was getting my build from.

I noticed in your build you don't have a separate cooler - I understand its not always necessary, but if I end up overclocking at some point would it still be fine without one? If not, is that something that could be added later?

What would you say the overall performance difference in the build you linked vs spending the extra money for the i5/z78/cooler? Is there value in that? I am going to check with friends and family about possible monitors so I might be able to cut that out, which would just leave me debating if I'd rather go with the cheaper option or use the full budget. The more I think about it that 100 bucks either way probably isn't going to save me from the wife, so I might be happier if I just spend it now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    but if I end up overclocking at some point would it still be fine without one? If not, is that something that could be added later?
    You can't overclock the i3's, so it's kind of moot. And your budget doesn't allow for getting the parts to warrant that (It would run about an extra $150

What would you say the overall performance difference in the build you linked vs spending the extra money for the i5/z78/cooler? Is there value in that?
    Yes.. and no. The i5/z78/cooler is definitely better. Notably better. But not... price/performance better. My rule of thumb is, if you can't afford the i5 setup, the extra performance isn't worth it, and stretching your budget and putting finances/wife at odds isn't worth it. The i3 performs VERY well. Not as good as, but it has amazing value.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Micro Center has fantastic CPU/Mobo combo prices, so I'd recommend doing that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    What would you say the overall performance difference in the build you linked vs spending the extra money for the i5/z78/cooler? Is there value in that? I am going to check with friends and family about possible monitors so I might be able to cut that out, which would just leave me debating if I'd rather go with the cheaper option or use the full budget. The more I think about it that 100 bucks either way probably isn't going to save me from the wife, so I might be happier if I just spend it now
    Taking into acount into what Chazus said, IF you were going for the i5 k you would be looking something like this:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $527.91
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-08 05:03 EDT-0400)

Add to this 285-300 bucks for a i5 4670k proc and Z87 Extreme 4/6 combo bundle from microcenter you are looking for about ~820 bucks total for everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, chazus pretty much summed it up already.

Add to this 285-300 bucks for a i5 4670k proc and Z87 Extreme 4/6 combo bundle from microcenter you are looking for about ~820 bucks total for everything.
    The cheapest microcenter z87+i5 4670k bundle is $249,98 So if he'd leave the screen out he'd be looking at something like ~$647 total.

Edit: Forgot that I never addressed your question about that mSata SSD. You can buy a mSata to Sata converter (like this) if the motherboard doesn't have a connector for it.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2014-04-08 at 05:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I was able to get an older but still servicable monitor from my brother-in-law, which leaves me the full $700 budget for the actual computer now.

Looking at Kostattoo's build, I did have another question. My wife reminded me that we have a rather large amazon gift card as they offered as an extra 10% if our tax refund went through them, so I think I'd rather purchase everything from Amazon or Microcenter if possible. From what I can see, most of the items in that build are within a few bucks of the lowest price on one of those two places, which is fine with me. The two that weren't available or were too far off in price was the Memory and Power Supply. This HyperX RAM is the same price and looks to be the same as the one in that build - would that work? I'm not sure about the power supply, besides making sure its ATX and has enough wattage I don't know what I should be looking for to make sure it would work.

15+ Year Old Account
    When looking at PSU's it's all about the brand and model really because it's really common for some more unknown companies to cut corners while making them. You absolutely don't wanna buy anything shady because if your PSU dies on you it might damage other components as well. Also if you buy some really low quality unit it might not be able to output it's rated wattage, there might be heat issues, unstable power.. need I go on.

Some reputable PSU manufacturers would be SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec, Bequiet, XFX. There's more but these are the ones I usually trust although some of them have bad products as well so you do have to know what you're looking for.

Anyway, if you order from Amazon I'd recommend Seasonic S12II 430 which is really solid unit and seems to be pretty nicely priced as well. From Microcenter something like Antec Basiq Series VP450 should work.

Oh and yes, that RAM will work (it's basically the same as the G.Skill in earlier builds).

Deleted
    One thing about the ram you mentioned. Although in most cases may not give you a problem, i personally avoid any ram that uses 1.6-1.65v. I got similar memory from kingston and gave me nothing but big headaches in my current rig when i was trying to push overclocking. I could have been unlucky or cause i was overclocking/pushing it but still...
    So my advice would be stick to any ram that got 1.5v if you can help it

Just curious, but what is the advantage of going with i3 vs AMD 760K? Ive never heard anyone really explain why one is better then the other. I also plan on doing a build like this sometime soon.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Total: $585.76

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfair View Post
    Just curious, but what is the advantage of going with i3 vs AMD 760K? Ive never heard anyone really explain why one is better then the other. I also plan on doing a build like this sometime soon.
    The speed. i3 has faster cores and due to WoW being extremely limited by your processor speed on one core that's all that matters.

Deleted
    Single thread performance on an AMD CPU sucks balls. Any intel dual core CPU will stomp every single CPU AMD has out right now in MMO's so you should really go for an intel build to suit your budget and enjoy having no very low fps dips

10+ Year Old Account
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered their help in this and the other threads on this forum that I read. I got everything together and built the computer a couple of days ago, mostly following the "How to build a computer in 9.5 steps" on this forum and then searching youtube when I needed some more detail on certain steps due to my inexperience.

Everything fired up correctly the first time I hit power, and I've ran a few LFRs on ultra without any performance issues at all. Its like I'm playing an entirely new game and its awesome. Thanks again!

15+ Year Old Account
    Glad to hear that. Now join in our Post Your Gaming Setup thread with some pictures! Would love to see what parts you ended up choosing.