10+ Year Old Account

Supreme Court passes on NSA surveillance judgement.

Here's the link

Pretty much what the title says.

I read through the article, and several others, and it really feels like they're trying to pass the buck here. This Supreme Court has made me lose faith in the institution.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    Here's the link

Pretty much what the title says.

I read through the article, and several others, and it really feels like they're trying to pass the buck here. This Supreme Court has made me lose faith in the institution.

Not even close, they're just allowing the process to work normally and not allow the government to shortcut it to early review at that level.

It's more of for the people to allow it run the normal course of appeals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what the problem is. The Supreme Court is going to allow the case to run its course in the lower courts first. I'm sure it'll get back up to the Supreme Court eventually, but it'll be much better for the case for it to develop slowly than quickly jump to the top courts.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

SCOTUS has a tendency to allow cases like this to "mature." When they feel the issue has been condensed into a single case both sufficiently narrow in scope and broad in applicability, they will hear it.

They were trying to take it straight to the SCOTUS without first going through the federal appellate process and the SC sent it back. That's all that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    This Supreme Court has made me lose faith in the institution.
    Welcome to being an adult haha. Ugly world, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't what you think it is.

The US District Court judge ruled that it's probably a 4th Amendment infringement, which would cause it to get torn down. Since this is such a significant issue, he knew an appeal would be coming, so he stayed his decision pending that appeal.

The guy who brought the case tried to leapfrog the federal appellate court, where the case would normally go next, and go straight to SCOTUS, to prevent the US government appealing the decision in the lower court first.

THIS is where SCOTUS declined.

As it stands, it's unconstitutional, but the matter's left up in the air, and it's likely that it won't get resolved until the program expires anyway. This isn't a travesty of justice, or something; the right thing is happening, at the normal judicial pace.