Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would removing champions from the pool help ARAM?

As we have seen with URF Riot is not against removing champions that they feel are too strong for that game mode to try and help balance. So would it be beneficial to do something similar in ARAM by not allowing players to randomly select into the God mode champions . I think it would actually make the game mode a little more fun, since theres nothing more annoying knowing your team is going to get steamrolled just by looking at the champ select screen. Removing the champions would let it be a bit more even while still being random

And which champs would you guys remove? I think Id go with Ezreal, Jayce, Kogmaw, Lux, Nidalee, Sona, Varus and Ziggs. Everybody else feels a bit more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    As we have seen with URF Riot is not against removing champions that they feel are too strong for that game mode to try and help balance. So would it be beneficial to do something similar in ARAM by not allowing players to randomly select into the God mode champions . I think it would actually make the game mode a little more fun, since theres nothing more annoying knowing your team is going to get steamrolled just by looking at the champ select screen. Removing the champions would let it be a bit more even while still being random

And which champs would you guys remove? I think Id go with Ezreal, Jayce, Kogmaw, Lux, Nidalee, Sona, Varus and Ziggs. Everybody else feels a bit more balanced.
    No.
    URF makes the champions overpowered simply by removing resource costs and lowering cooldowns. The champions are not randomly picked, and the map is made so that 1 champ can guarantee a team's win simply by solo'ing baron or stealth killing objectives.

Aram has randomly picked champions that are not any stronger than their standard 5v5 versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

ARAM is random. The heroes that are free are also thrown into the pool. If your team's lineup is horrible, well, it's luck-related. Better luck next time or you guys could re-roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    URF was a special case since it's a featured game mode they didn't plan on keeping around and it seriously breaks the champs they banned. In ARAM, there are no champs that really imbalance the game mode and it's completely random so you aren't guaranteed to get one of the good champions every game. They can also balance for it if an single champ does become too powerful.

Deleted
    No, but what should happen is that you have access to every champion in ARAM, so it's actually random.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grxl View Post
    No, but what should happen is that you have access to every champion in ARAM, so it's actually random.
    If anything, this would be my preferred choice. Make it proper random. Limiting the pool is just silly.

Deleted
    Not necessary, simply because this mode picks a champion randomly for you. This was not the case in URF, so it was necessary to remove champions that were literally obnoxious to that mode.

I do agree with Grxl, and Duilliath too, that all the champions should be available in ARAM. The random picking purpose is kind of defeated if your pool of champions is rather small and limited.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    ARAM stands for ALL RANDOM ALL MID. What part of RANDOM do you not understand? And yoru choices for removal makes no fucking sense at all. Lets remove a bunch of squishy champions that die when more than 1 person looks at them cross eyed? wtf?
    First off you dont get ALL. If you did your champions owned wouldnt matter and you could play as anyone. So since you seem keen on the literal sense of the meaning, it doesnt even follow it itself. Itd be more like YOUR AVAILABLE CHAMPIONS RANDOMLY ALL MID.

2nd off, how would removing champions not make it random? Did I say you could select who you wanted to be? No. It would still be randomly picked, certain champions would be removed from the pool thats it.

Thirdly, I dont think you know much about ARAM if you dont understand why those champions are power picks. So theres really no sense even debating

First off you dont get ALL. If you did your champions owned wouldnt matter and you could play as anyone. So since you seem keen on the literal sense of the meaning, it doesnt even follow it itself. Itd be more like YOUR AVAILABLE CHAMPIONS RANDOMLY ALL MID.

2nd off, how would removing champions not make it random? Did I say you could select who you wanted to be? No. It would still be randomly picked, certain champions would be removed from the pool thats it.

Thirdly, I dont think you know much about ARAM if you dont understand why those champions are power picks. So theres really no sense even debating
    "Power picks" makes no sense since nobody is picking.

Removing certain champions is a dumb idea because it reduces the amount of "randomly" picked champions.
    They only roll random between the available champions because otherwise it would be too random to be playable. At least there's a chance that the player knows how the champ's abilities work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've over 300 won aram games (and probably close to as many losses). I still think your list is biased and flawed. You have some champions in there which aren't nearly problematic and you completely ignore others (such as Xerath).

Additionally, all it would do is institute a new list of 'OP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I've over 300 won aram games (and probably close to as many losses). I still think your list is biased and flawed. You have some champions in there which aren't nearly problematic and you completely ignore others (such as Xerath).

Additionally, all it would do is institute a new list of 'OP's.
    Biased in what sense? I dont see how there can be a bias towards ARAM. I mean Ziggs is my favorite-most played champ in ranked and yet I can realize hes ridiculously strong in ARAM to the point its not fair. Anyways, Xerath I felt was borderline slightly worse than some of the others.

I think you don't get the 'all', actually.

The "ALL" in "ALL RANDOM" is talking about the players in the game, not the champions they choose from. It reflects the "random" button in champ select lobbies. Aka, every PLAYER in the game is meant to hit the random button in lobby and get a random champion from THEIR selected pool. So no, you're totally wrong. It has nothing to do with "all champions" being available, it has to do with "all players" selecting a random champion.

As Duilliath has said: you remove those champs and 6 more become OP. If you're playing ARAM for an 'even' battle, you're playing the wrong game mode.

It wasn't balanced when it was a custom game, and it isn't balanced now that it's a supported game mode. This isn't ranked, we don't need 5 minutes of bans before every game starts. Enjoy it for what it is (a fun, laid back game mode), stop trying to turn it into serious business like every other LoL game mode!
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
    It wasn't balanced when it was a custom game, and it isn't balanced now that it's a supported game mode. This isn't ranked, we don't need 5 minutes of bans before every game starts. Enjoy it for what it is (a fun, laid back game mode), stop trying to turn it into serious business like every other LoL game mode!
    Then URF should never have had bans/removals either
    Last edited by Jibjabb; 2014-04-22 at 11:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are mixing up two different things:

1) A game mode, using normal rules.
    2) A completely different game mode, ignoring resources with 80% CDR.

To think they are comparable is, quite honestly, laughable.

Deleted
    Biased in what sense? I dont see how there can be a bias towards ARAM. I mean Ziggs is my favorite-most played champ in ranked and yet I can realize hes ridiculously strong in ARAM to the point its not fair. Anyways, Xerath I felt was borderline slightly worse than some of the others.
    Those champions aren't obnoxious (the ones on the OP, excluding Nid). They are just easier to play than most and are good on their own, hence they seem more OP than pretty much any other champion.

Right now, the only champion/s in ARAM that I deem obnoxious is most definitely Nidalee, even if you're bad with her, hiting a spear can prove detrimental to your enemies. I still wouldn't remove her but that would be my only pick if I had to remove a champion from ARAM.

That's the only, the only, champion I would consider of removing from ARAM. Another mention would also be Katarina, but she actually needs the person to put effort into it for her to become obnoxious, so I see no reason to remove her, especially since she has pretty hard counters.

I have more than 1100 games of experience in PG(Proving Grounds)/ARAM and yeah, I would consider only Nidalee to be removed, and not any other champion.
    Then URF should never have had bans/removals either
    It was imperative for URF to have a ban system, otherwise the most obnoxious champions would be picked all the time, and even so, Riot still had to disable champions since the ban system wasn't enough. ARAM does not need a ban system simply because the system is around random choices by a computer. A person has no direct impact on what champion s/he will get.

- - - Updated - - -

You are mixing up two different things:

1) A game mode, using normal rules.
    2) A completely different game mode, ignoring resources with 80% CDR.

Also this.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2014-04-22 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
    This isn't ranked, we don't need 5 minutes of bans before every game starts. Enjoy it for what it is (a fun, laid back game mode
    If you didnt know what he was already talking about that would sound exactly like the description of URF. Which is what the comparion was to. That quote. So its, quite honestly, laughable that you cant see that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Those champions aren't obnoxious (the ones on the OP, excluding Nid). They are just easier to play than most and are good on their own, hence they seem more OP than pretty much any other champion.

Right now, the only champion/s in ARAM that I deem obnoxious is most definitely Nidalee, even if you're bad with her, hiting a spear can prove detrimental to your enemies. I still wouldn't remove her but that would be my only pick if I had to remove a champion from ARAM.

That's the only, the only, champion I would consider of removing from ARAM. Another mention would also be Katarina, but she actually needs the person to put effort into it for her to become obnoxious, so I see no reason to remove her, especially since she has pretty hard counters.

I have more than 1100 games of experience in PG(Proving Grounds)/ARAM and yeah, I would consider only Nidalee to be removed, and not any other champion.
    Thats fair enough. Kat really struggles against/with certain comps so I never considered her too problematic. Shes kinda similar to Blitzcrank in that sense to me. Right matchup they are soooo good, wrong one they dont do all that much.

Deleted
    Don't expect balance in a simply unbalanced fun game-mode.

Deleted
    Thats fair enough. Kat really struggles against/with certain comps so I never considered her too problematic. Shes kinda similar to Blitzcrank in that sense to me. Right matchup they are soooo good, wrong one they dont do all that much.
    I've played Kat a lot in ARAM and since her rework she's borderline obnoxious in ARAM if you know how to play her pretty well and when to take advantage of resets. People barely know how to play her though, so she's a hidden OP champ like say, Anivia or Lee Sin (talking about SR now here lol ), though harder to play due to her really weak early game (in terms of being able to farm).

As for blitzcrank, all he has is his hook, really. His early game is super powerful, especially in ARAM, but he decays quite a lot as the game progresses. Well, he doesn't necessarily decay but he can be pretty much be a burden to his team if he fails the hooks, if your team can't take advantage of grabs or if the enemy team is in general bruise/melee oriented. Honestly, like Kat, Blitz has his own down sides, I'd wager, in ARAM, blitz has more downsides assuming all players are of equal skill than Katarina does, imo, though he obviously fairs better than Kat for obvious reasons (people fail to dodge grab, low MS, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Don't expect balance in a simply unbalanced fun game-mode.
    Well, Dominion is also considered a fun game-mode, yet it's being balanced, some champions are at least. The same is being done more less to ARAM too but I honestly don't know since I don't look at patch notes anymore.

But since they are featured game modes, and assuming ARAM hasn't had any balances, Riot should totally try to focus on balancing ARAM, mainly because Dominion is also getting balances.

Now, the actual problem on the balances is that there's probably a small team working on it, so it's naturally going to take more time to put them in but even so, I don't see why they shouldn't do it.

It's possible for ARAM to be balanced without ruining the entire premise of the game mode(i.e. removing champions from the pool is bad, imo).

Heals and shields that can apply to other allies(not self-heals/shields) need to be taken down a notch(thus nerfing the egregious supports like Sona, Soraka etc).

Then everyone should have an innate refreshing shield akin to Orb of Winter, which hits poke champions like Ziggs without ruining the viability of burst/all-in champions.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Are you that stupid?

So lets take randomness as much out of the equation as possible. You own a single champion which you are awesome with. Even with the best of luck (being your champion is one of the weeks freebies) you still have a 1:10 chance of getting him. That means one out of ten games you will get your main champion. Pretty random, and too random to not consider it random.

ALL RANDOM means ALL PLAYERS ARE USING RANDOM CHAMPIONS. Meaning no one is picking their champions. Do you want me to put that in smaller words for you to comprehend it better kiddo?

Now lets say Riot sticks their heads in their asses and pointlessly removes champions that you CANNOT RELIABLY PLAY AT ALL in ARAM from the Q. Now you choose a different main that can be played. Then you get lucky and the freebie champions contina champions that are banned from ARAM. Now you have a situation where that 1 in 10 becomes 1 in 9, or 1 in 8, or 1 in 7. So by removing ANY champions from ARAM you are making it easier for people to get their "MAINS".

I know that ^ paragraph was full of some really complex shit so maybe you should read it a few dozen times before continuing.

Your third point is an absolute fucking joke. Power picks assumes your ability to PICK, which you cannot do in ARAM. Are there Champions that do good in ARAM, sure, but you can't reliably pick them so the point is completely moot. Your picks are based on luck, even with rerolls. And you are right, there is no sense in debating since everything you said is fucking stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Because he is bad and listed champions he doesn't know how to play against.
    Ok where to begin

First off since your a douche bag and cant respond constructively at all ill repay the favor.

ALL random actually does mean that each champion is randomized. Each one. Get that? If you were to make it so every single champion was available (hence ALL) then the randomness factor would actually be INCREASED something that you yourself are so keen on by not lowering the pool to reduce the "randomness" and letting people play their "mains" Or was that too complex for you kiddo? I am not even in favor of this idea, but hey it makes it more random right?

As for power picks I am sorry you cant look past the literal sense of a word and cant find the actual meaning. I assume when people tell you to get lost you go run and hide. So Ill change the wording to a kindergarten level so that you might be able to comprehend. Instead of power picks we will say "stronger champions." Hmm wait that still might be too hard to understand. Lets try "Champz dat is Mooch Betur dan Othurs." Nailed it

Nobody is saying you can reliably pick them. I dont recall anyone saying that anywhere. Why would you assume it? Oh I forgot that IQ. Because champion selections are based on chance, theres a good chance one side will be overwhelmingly stronger than the other making it less fair and fun, even for the side that is winning. People like fair competition, not everyone likes picking on those who cant even fight back. By removing some champions that are overwhelmingly stronger, that decreases the chances for disparity since even the new power picks... oh shit im sry "betur champz" wont be that much better thus reducing the inequality amongst the two sides.

Heres some data on many of the champs listed (not all, but a solid chunk are on here)
    http://www.lolking.net/charts?region...a&queue=normal
    Pretty overwhelming win% dont you think?

Then theres also http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...official_tier/ http://www.reignofgaming.net/tier-li...issandra-patch. Are these gospel? no ofc not. But I think theres a reason other people agree with me and i dont think its because "HURR DERP WE DUN KNOW HOW TO PLAY GAINZT DEMS CHAMPS." They are stronger than in ARAM, thats why.

And if you dont like the champions I listed that are the best in ARAM thats fine. You dont have to agree thats the point of this. You can disagree. You however decided to be unconstructive and a jackass rather than responding anything worthwhile. Sadly I've given you more attention than people who actual had valid points and things to say. So in that sense ya I am fucking stupid.

Infracted: Be respectful of other users.
    Last edited by Isrozzis; 2014-04-25 at 08:51 AM.