Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Neckbones, chitlins, hog maws, cat fish, carp. You don't see those in every home, that's for sure. I think they are the cheapest foods you can get without hunting for them. Poor whites will eat squirrel and possum, but they actually hunt and kill them.
    It's foods butchers would otherwise toss out, it has nothing to do with hunting rodents.

An annoying reality, freaking ox tails are 5.99 a pound. My folks used to make it because it was there, now I it's pretty expansive for the amount of meat you get. I still make it and tongue to partly freak out friends, but also because I grew with a taste for it. A freaking beef heart is nearly impossible to get for me. The sort of even local butchers we gave here, you get a strange look and a 'I can get it, but not sure the price'. Which to me is too expensive to bother, than get just a NY or a London broil...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Neckbones, chitlins, hog maws, cat fish, carp. You don't see those in every home, that's for sure. I think they are the cheapest foods you can get without hunting for them. Poor whites will eat squirrel and possum, but they actually hunt and kill them.
    Poor white people eat less desirable parts of livestock. Especially when they're in a situation like American slaves or Europeans peasants where they don't have rights to hunt on any of the land. Less desirable cuts of meat were typically ground up, forced into intestinal casings, and called sausage. An animals head was boiled in europe for the gelatinous "head cheese". In scotland, a sheep's lungs and other organs were made into haggis. I could go on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is an example of congealed, pickled pigs feet you can find in the South:

Here is Russian 'holodnoye':

The link isn't race, but poverty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    Poor white people eat less desirable parts of livestock. Especially when they're in a situation like American slaves or Europeans peasants where they don't have rights to hunt on any of the land. Less desirable cuts of meat were typically ground up, forced into intestinal casings, and called sausage. An animals head was boiled in europe for the gelatinous "head cheese". In scotland, a sheep's lungs and other organs were made into haggis. I could go on and on.
    Have some head cheese in the fridge right now. 11.99% a pound... Absurd...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post

Here is Russian 'holodnoye':

The link isn't race, but poverty.
    That looks incredibly gross. I'm sorry, I've eaten some weird stuff in my time, but no. I am not willing to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    That looks incredibly gross. I'm sorry, I've eaten some weird stuff in my time, but no. I am not willing to try that.
    I agree that's some fear factor stuff right there.

I am not Andrew Zimmern. I can't even bring myself to eat some food most people would consider normal.

Deleted
    If people gonna hate they gonna find something to hate on no matter how ridiculous it is. If people wanna take offense they gonna find something to be offended by no matter how ridiculous it is. That's how humans work.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are missing out. It's very good...

For another fun cultural difference, check out Russian 'salo' and Italian 'lardo'... No pictures this time...

Thankfully I was raised in a pork-free household

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    I am not Andrew Zimmern. I can't even bring myself to eat some food most people would consider normal.
    Iguana? It's not that bad actually. But don't listen to people, it does NOT taste like chicken. It's close, but not quite there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    If people gonna hate they gonna find something to hate on no matter how ridiculous it is. If people wanna take offense they gonna find something to be offended by no matter how ridiculous it is. That's how humans work.
    I've never took offense to the fried chicken and watermelon stereotypes, I always thought it was the silliest way a person could try to insult me.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Morgan Freeman

Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS 60 Minutes. "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history".
    Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."
    The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.
    "I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man"
    Pretty much this, we treat race like it's something impossible to get beyond. I think it's possible for most of the world to get to the point where you mentally note a person's skin color with as much scrutiny as their hair color. Too many people refuse to accept the fact that in order to move on people have to stop trying to seek century old justice.

Too many race pimps and PC police types go out of their way to see racism everywhere. As soon as you say "You can't say fried chicken, that's racist towards black people." you are basically calling them inferior. The only way something is "bad" by association is if the thing it is associated with is also "bad". Constantly pouring salt into the wound does nothing but make everyone else resent you for noise you're making and the fact that you wont let the damn thing heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post

Well now I'm hungry

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I've never took offense to the fried chicken and watermelon stereotypes, I always thought it was the silliest way a person could try to insult me.
    Yeah, it's a completely ridiculous attempt at an insult and it's even more ridiculous to get insulted by it. It's friend chicken and watermelon... who doesn't like that?

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    Pretty much this, we treat race like it's something impossible to get beyond. I think it's possible for most of the world to get to the point where you mentally note a person's skin color with as much scrutiny as their hair color. Too many people refuse to accept the fact that in order to move on people have to stop trying to seek century old justice.

Too many race pimps and PC police types go out of their way to see racism everywhere. As soon as you say "You can't say fried chicken, that's racist towards black people." you are basically calling them inferior. The only way something is "bad" by association is if the thing it is associated with is also "bad". Constantly pouring salt into the wound does nothing but make everyone else resent you for noise you're making and the fact that you wont let the damn thing heal.
    And on the (more frequented, and internet forums based) opposite side of the isle, there are social retards and other low functioning idiots, who deflect and/or deny any/all non-violent instances of racism. Just because it doesn't have neon-signs, fireworks, and a "Skinhead Seal of Approval". Who concern troll about "healing", but will first call practically anyone who dares bring up racism a "race pimp" or a member of the "PC Police", and then disregard their claims (or the act of their hypothetical claims) with the exaggerated notion that "they see racism everywhere". Which prevents any meaningful conversation from happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Yeah, it's a completely ridiculous attempt at an insult and it's even more ridiculous to get insulted by it. It's friend chicken and watermelon... who doesn't like that?
    I get the history and the reasoning behind the offense, but then again...it's food. It takes a small mind to get offended over it, and an even smaller mind to think that is a reason to insult someone.
    Last edited by Booshman; 2014-04-12 at 03:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    I get the history and the reasoning behind the offense, but then again...it's food. It takes a small mind to get offended over it, and an even smaller mind to think that is a reason to insult someone.
    Indeed. Must be some grade-A moron to think skin color or heritage dictates what food people find delicious. It sort of gives me a smile on my face to think about how stupid those people must be that they don't understand that uttering such "insults" are more insulting to themselves and their own intelligence than it is to the person they're trying to insult. It's a special kind of stupid.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2014-04-12 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    And on the (more frequented, and internet forums based) opposite side of the isle, there are social retards and other low functioning idiots, who deflect and/or deny any/all non-violent instances of racism. Just because it doesn't have neon-signs, fireworks, and a "Skinhead Seal of Approval". Who concern troll about "healing", but will first call practically anyone who dares bring up racism a "race pimp" or a member of the "PC Police", and then disregard their claims (or the act of their hypothetical claims) with the exaggerated notion that "they see racism everywhere". Which prevents any meaningful conversation from happening.
    If you are going to call someone a "social retard and other low functioning idiot", would you mind not quoting my post like 3-4 times. Funny thing, I can't help but read this as a personal attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    A thread like this is not going positive places. Closing.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |