Deleted

'Small' Volcano Eruption @ Bárðarbunga / Iceland

Crazy stuff. Seemingly a small eruption, between 150 and 400 meters below fairly thin ice. Magma reached the surface about an hour ago. More info here & here.

Alternatively watch this site for updates.

“Not to be an alarmist, but some have been comparing the conditions leading up to the eruption to the 1783-84 eruption of Laki that changed the climate so much that the Mississippi river was frozen in New Orleans and ice floats were spotted in the Gulf of Mexico. As "cool" as that might be, an estimated 6 million people died from complications of the eruption (mostly widespread droughts). Let's hope that's not really the case this time.“

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga -- Live stream for anyone who'd like to watch the development of the eruption.
    Last edited by mmoc9172a59d1a; 2014-08-23 at 04:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fuck is that name. That's worst than Eyjafjallajokull I think was the one a few years ago that screwed up flight paths. Guess we just have to wait and see, Iceland is not a big country, we can evacuate if needs be.

And with evacuating the island, they can leave that damn language and awful food behind. Fermented shark can do one.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    The fuck is that name. That's worst than Eyjafjallajokull I think was the one a few years ago that screwed up flight paths. Guess we just have to wait and see, Iceland is not a big country, we can evacuate if needs be.

And with evacuating the island, they can leave that damn language and awful food behind. Fermented shark can do one.
    A bit judgemenetal today are we?

.. Couldn't agree more. Kinda hope it dosen't fuck shit up all over the world though -- Ice floats in the mexican gulf? Idk.

I love the laid back way of life Icelanders seem to enjoy.

"Aviation code red. There appears to be a volcanic eruption in progress. In the mean time here are some funny riddles"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellix View Post
    A bit judgemenetal today are we?

.. Couldn't agree more. Kinda hope it dosen't fuck shit up all over the world though -- Ice floats in the mexican gulf? Idk.
    Unfortunately I'm always like this

But serious Hákarl is awful idea there's a video on youtube of James May vs Gordon Ramsey on an eating competition where they have Laotian snake whiskey (vodka?), some kind of penis/testicle and then this fermented shark defeats Gordon. I don't even want to imagine it.

I hope it doesn't hurt too many people though, I mean even if it does fuck up certain parts of the world then the damage done won't be anything like it was in the late 1700's, we'll cope far better than we did back then. How long did those effects last? Couple of years at most? This is just interesting frankly I'm very interested to see how it plays out. Not particularly into geology of volcanoes but it's interesting nonetheless.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Unfortunately I'm always like this

But serious Hákarl is awful idea there's a video on youtube of James May vs Gordon Ramsey on an eating competition where they have Laotian snake whiskey (vodka?), some kind of penis/testicle and then this fermented shark defeats Gordon. I don't even want to imagine it.

I hope it doesn't hurt too many people though, I mean even if it does fuck up certain parts of the world then the damage done won't be anything like it was in the late 1700's, we'll cope far better than we did back then. How long did those effects last? Couple of years at most? This is just interesting frankly I'm very interested to see how it plays out. Not particularly into geology of volcanoes but it's interesting nonetheless.
    Well that particular eruption killed all the livestock from Iceland, a quarter of Iceland population and caused over 6 million deaths over the rest of Europe, I think that considering the density of population in Europe nowadays, it would be much worse. That without counting the effect of the weather worldwide that by then were not quantified.

But you know, it could be today or in 200 years' time ;-)

15+ Year Old Account
    The fuck is that name.
    Nothing wrong with that name. Bardarbunga is a lot more simple than say, eg. McDonald's. Icelandic "D" (eth) isn't that hard to translate.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holaadios View Post
    Well that particular eruption killed all the livestock from Iceland, a quarter of Iceland population and caused over 6 million deaths over the rest of Europe, I think that considering the density of population in Europe nowadays, it would be much worse. That without counting the effect of the weather worldwide that by then were not quantified.

But you know, it could be today or in 200 years' time ;-)
    Right but international trade meant that if that happened you're fucked. It'll affect more people but we can do far more about it was my point. Today if one countries crops get ruined, we don't get a nation of refugees we can deal with it.

What would suck is that we just had record rainfall here over the last couple of days and the ground is completely saturated. If it lead to a major volcanic event that triggers an early winter in the northern hemisphere that would turn us into a giant ice cube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    What would suck is that we just had record rainfall here over the last couple of days and the ground is completely saturated. If it lead to a major volcanic event that triggers an early winter in the northern hemisphere that would turn us into a giant ice cube.
    Canada isn't already a giant ice cube....?

OT: I don’t see much reason for concern yet since they say it may well remain entirely below the ice at this point.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post

OT: I don’t see much reason for concern yet since they say it may well remain entirely below the ice at this point.
    Indeed :P

Deleted
    Having smelled both Hákarl and Surströmming (which was opened in air, not under water), I'd say Hákarl smells better (mind you, on top of that I'm allergic to fish so I can't eat either of them so you can imagine how close to vomiting I get from the mere smell of fish)

Deleted
    I hope there's no dust cloud of doom now.

Just kidding, it was amusing to watch everyday on telly. You go volcano!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    No. Manitoba is getting loads of rain lately. There are people getting around via canoe.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/street-...ding-1.1971174

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Inb4 dust crippels the world.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

How the hell do you still remember the name of that volcano. AND its spelling! :O
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No. Manitoba is getting loads of rain lately. There are people getting around via canoe.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/street-...ding-1.1971174
    I always thought that was how Canadians got around anyways, well that and on Moose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found it, forward to 2:00 if you don't want to see anything other than the monstrous Hákarl but they do Laotian Snake Whiskey first and then Bulls penis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    How the hell do you still remember the name of that volcano. AND its spelling! :O
    I missed an umlaut somewhere. I don't know why, but it's spelled like it sounds so working backwards was very easy.

Eye-Yah-fyall-ah-yock-ull

Eye as in the thing in your head, Yah as in "yah man!", fyall as in "yah" of before with a fffffff at the start and and L at the end. Ah as in "ahhhhhh!" but short, yock is obvious and then "ull" as in "Hull" said with a strong southern UK accent when the H is silent. It makes perfect sense if English is your first language. I think at the end there might be a T sound I've missed but it's something very similar to that at least.

I say it to my cats sometimes and they look at me really confused. More so than normal.

Deleted
    Dammit Iceland hurry up and sacrifice at least 4 goats and a couple of firstborns to appease the volcano.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Having smelled both Hákarl and Surströmming (which was opened in air, not under water), I'd say Hákarl smells better (mind you, on top of that I'm allergic to fish so I can't eat either of them so you can imagine how close to vomiting I get from the mere smell of fish)
    Surströmming, I've smelled it once and thats enough for any sane person to run like the wind as soon as someone mentions it. Only insane people actually eat it and you can't eat it indoors, it will fuck up the house. lol

It's season now, I much prefer a crayfish party though. rofl

edit: This seems correct.
    When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odour; the dish is ordinarily eaten outdoors. According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even more so than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-08-24 at 12:22 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...