Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    HoF as an instance was alright. Atmosphere wise I enjoyed it. It was alot better than ToES that's for sure.

As far as the bosses go in a heroic setting... Most were decent. Zor'lok hotfixes were necessary for the final phase and the way he spawns. Garalon was the stupidest fight in the instance. Not fun at all. That's are my only issues with HoF.

The instance look itself was meh.
    The bosses had a ton of dumb gimmicks such as "oh look random idiot no one in the group likes didn't interrupt his explosion and wiped us again" or "lol sorry I stepped on a wind bomb for the 300th time and killed us lol my bad guys".

Both MSV and ToES were much better designed both artistically and from a boss standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sageofthe10paths View Post
    Here's a few reasons why I personally don't like Heart of Fear.

1. You spend a whole zone fighting the Mantid, and the story build up with the Klaxxi seems to just drop off story wise once you enter the raid. It's just no body mantid guys dying at your feet one after another until the Empress.
    2. It looks pretty ugly in there, doesn't have anything interesting or epic looking about it. AQ had tons of interesting things, so did AN dungeons, this didn't.
    3. Fights were annoying! The only fight that was interesting was Empress, the rest is just having one player screw over the whole raid with them being dumb.
    4. Trash that's harder than the bosses, yeah that's always fun.
    5. Only 6 bosses in a raid is lame and underwhelming. I know it was split with Terrace, but still I want my raids to have at least 10 bosses in them, or one mega one.

That's all I got, anyone agree or disagree?
    1. Except for the fact that the Vizier makes an appearance to kill Malek as you fight up to the palace gates.
    2. This is only your opinion. AQ 20 and 40 looked no better or worse than HoF (I think they were both cool raid instances, but AQ didn't have anything more to look at)

3 through 6 are just your opinion so I can't comment on it.

The mantid in general failed for MoP, not just HoF. Most people seem incapable of remembering their names or telling them apart because they aren't really humanoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Senka View Post
    I always see this word, gimmick, and it's like people get mad about having to play a video game. What do people want? A training dummy?
    I feel like gimmicks are more non-traditional mechanics that exist solely for the sake of being non-traditional. Siege of Orgrimmar and Throne of Thunder have fantastic ideas of what a good "gimmick" fight should be. Siegecrafter had the belt gimmick but it genuinely felt like it was part of the boss. It felt right lore-wise, every part of the fight revolved around it, etc. But fights like Amber Shaper which had just momentary "Hey you're a construct" times that didn't really feel like part of the fight were just jarring.

I also think it's okay to have a near tank and spank every once in awhile. All of the good raid instances have them: Throne of Thunder had Jin'rokh, Siege has Iron Juggernaut and Mogu'shan Vaults had Gara'jal. Heart of Fear didn't have any "ahh, here's a fight to test our DPS' ability to stand still and kill shit." It didn't have any breaths of fresh air for the raid. It was just unusual, insta-kill mechanic after unusual insta-kill mechanic, etc.

I also didn't like the fact that Heart of Fear was all pretty much the same architecture wise. From the outside, it looked so badass; it was a city built into a giant tree. Inside it was just a room that was shaped like a box, another room that was shaped like a rectangle, a platform outside, a platform on top of that platform, another box and another big box for Empress. No cool twists and turns, nothing to make you feel like you were really inside the instance. Just...boxes.

Even the box-rooms wouldn't have been that bad if Mogu'Shan Vaults hadn't been basically the same thing. I liked that design for Vaults; it made the place feel very orderly and very regal. Plus MSV was built into the side of a mountain.

What is with all these MAN IT LOOKED BAD NOT LIKE AQ 20/40 THOSE WERE JUST EPIC LOL.

AQ 20 looked a bit "better", being in open air and stuff, but AQ 40 was almost as bland as Molten Core and staring at it for like 6 hours nonstop every night was not fun.

People should stop speaking from fake nostalgia they didn't actually partake it. If you didn't actually do AQ 40 when it was real content, keep your posts off of this thread. Dashing through it in just 30 minutes or so in Wrath/Cata/MoP doesn't give you a good grounds to rate it compared to a Raid environment you were legitimately in.

All AQ 40 was was the same "insect hive" textures and stuff we'd seen before with tons of re-used models, ugly as fuck new ones, and INCREDIBLY dim. It was one of my favorite Vanilla raids (Fuck, it probably IS my favorite) but I'm not going to make some bullshit post about how "AQ 40 looked epic but HoF just looked bad ;-;-;-;-;".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    The mantid in general failed for MoP, not just HoF. Most people seem incapable of remembering their names or telling them apart because they aren't really humanoid.
    Please try speaking for yourself. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by delicousaids View Post
    Please try speaking for yourself. Thank you.
    I'm not speaking for myself - but by and large (on these forums, in game) that is how people act. I enjoyed the mantid and found them easy to understand unlike most and presumably you too.

Don't take things as personal attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Personally I didn't like HoF because the fights were a bit too "One person screws up = wipe" for my taste; I'm not a big fan of complete pass/fail mechanics in any raid. Aesthetics-wise I thought it was a cool raid, I also wish that the Klaxxi had been more involved, like they should have been guiding you or whatnot through it since you were doing their dirty work by killing the Empress anyways.

In LFR? Because of the other players.

Deleted
    I personally liked all three raids in that tier. Also alot more fun with three different raids rather than grinding the same raid every week.

I liked T14 overall better than ToT. But I still hated HoF.
    I despised Garalon and Amber Shaper. The rest was okay, but those two fights made me dislike HoF.

The fights were fun, but the scenery was not aesthetically pleasing.

H Amber Shaper was one of the worst fights they've ever created is why. Every boss was a bug model, and Vizier was also insane due to how they had it tuned first week. Oh he went left? Reset run back.

I personally prefer HoF over ToES. I think that only Sha was fun in ToES.

HoF wasn't great though, most fight felt underwhelming. But the first boss was really fun, I also like Amber-shaper. Didn't care too much about the rest. Garalon was the worst, not only because it was a pug/LFR wiper, but because it was really boring. I do actually agree with the visual style being less than impressive. The entrance is super cool, with the Paragons being impaled on lance. But then, it feels empty, bland, and all the same deeper you go in.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did not have a very good time in there on any difficulty.
    Personal responsibility was very high on those fights, someone would always die and we would wipe to enrage timers every time. Eventually we lost desire to kill bosses and just wanted to kill each other. Garalon was a nightmare.

A lot of things combined in HoF to make it heavily disliked by so many people:

1. LFR Garalon.

2. For casual guilds, Garalon being such a wall and combined with relatively easy Terrace taunting them with it being gated.

3. The bosses were not strategy bosses. You didn't have to plan how to kill them. It was just "1 person screws up and you wipe". While some are fine, having that many? That's not conducive to good guild morale.

4. Overtuned heroic bosses.

5 Amber Shaper.

Loved the raid overall, Garalon a bit less but Amber Shaper was genius! It was so much fun and it still makes you either laugh at most people not being able to understand the Construct concept with all the interrupting or feel good about yourself knowing you have some brains at least.

ToES on the other hand was super boring.

Bugs.

That is all.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of gimmicks in that instance, especially for one that isn't that large.

LFR was painful and the encounters had a lot of technical issues, or as some might like to say, 'bugs'.

Deleted
    Un'sok was by far the worst boss, even if you did everything right you would still die at the end if you're in a construct at the time the boss died, unfairly incurring a 10% dmg to your items which amounts to up to 50g for plate classes. 50g may not be much, but it's the principle that matters, the unfairness of it.