Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    The problem is, they listed this right below saying;

- The Jade Forest quests had a very clear story, but it also had a lot of side quests that could bog you down.

...When you then read;

"- In Warlords of Draenor, your map will show you where to go to continue the main storyline, along with the locations of bonus objectives.
    - The bonus objectives no longer have any story text that go with them, just a list of objectives. Now when there is quest text, you will know that it is really worth reading."

...you start asking yourself what "Bonus objectives" really mean.
    You don't have to ask yourself anything. It is Clear what bonus objectives are. It is a completely different type to side Quests we have now.

Best example would be Harrison Jones Questline in Uldum, after you land from the Box you get a quest off the ground to make a Tablet by collecting fragment parts.
    Whilst doing this part of the quest there are Hyenas around everywhere, when you kill one you get a Automatic Bonus Quest pop up on your screen that says "blah blah Hyenas are Bad, blah blah Kill x10 hyenas" with no real story other than "Hyenas are bad blah blah". You still do your Tablet collection but you are also killing the mobs in an area, to actually encourage the players to kill things instead of just trying to dodge Mobs while they collect pieces.

All Blizzard are doing is when you kill the "Hyena" now, instead of getting a pop up screen with some half-assed story about "Hyenas" being bad, you will just get a Number counter to the side that will say "Hyenas" Slain: #.

You will still be Following Quest lines, You will just have more bonuses on the Creatures that surround the areas you are questing in.

Embrace it, since it means less Quest clutter and you will actually probably get a lot more bonus objectives.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    As i said i give up trying to reason with you and i don't care.
    that´s the same thing anyone would say after writing such nonsense about scalable old content when noone was talking about that^^
    good day and next time try to read something before you reply to it and make a fool out of yourself

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Do you really sit and read all the quest info they give you? I know I sure don't.
    Up to and during Wrath I usually did it on all because of the lore (unless it was literally just one of those "bring me 10 squirrel tails" things) and because there was no "quest helper" in game (I never used the addon and had no trouble with finding my way around; it was sooo fun when it bugged out at the start of Wrath and the chat was filled with the tears of idiots), but in Cata I resorted to only doing it on the first character(s) on the quest, unless it was something exceptionally interesting.

However, very early on I had to set quest text to be instant instead of the stupid slowly rolling text, because I read about 20 times faster than the speed on which the text would appear.

99% of MoP isn't worth reading.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2014-04-15 at 12:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    that´s the same thing anyone would say after writing such nonsense about scalable old content when noone was talking about that^^
    good day and next time read before you reply
    Good Bye <3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    You don't have to ask yourself anything. It is Clear what bonus objectives are. It is a completely different type to side Quests we have now.

Best example would be Harrison Jones Questline in Uldum, after you land from the Box you get a quest off the ground to make a Tablet by collecting fragment parts.
    Whilst doing this part of the quest there are Hyenas around everywhere, when you kill one you get a Automatic Bonus Quest pop up on your screen that says "blah blah Hyenas are Bad, blah blah Kill x10 hyenas" with no real story other than "Hyenas are bad blah blah". You still do your Tablet collection but you are also killing the mobs in an area, to actually encourage the players to kill things instead of just trying to dodge Mobs while they collect pieces.

All Blizzard are doing is when you kill the "Hyena" now, instead of getting a pop up screen with some half-assed story about "Hyenas" being bad, you will just get a Number counter to the side that will say "Hyenas" Slain: #.

You will still be Following Quest lines, You will just have more bonuses on the Creatures that surround the areas you are questing in.

Embrace it, since it means less Quest clutter and you will actually probably get a lot more bonus objectives.
    I get that part, and as stated in a previous post, I haven't shot down the idea. I am just slightly worried. I would like the comparsion to be the Jade Forest though, as that is what they are bringing in as an example here. As far as I can remember from the Jade Forest, it had a ton of nice side quests. I can only remember one weird "pop up" quest there. The one where you're gonna kill some tigers and porcupines, as you pass by the area. Well, atleast I recall it as just "popping up".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    i don´t remember them taking those features away so my statement remains true, it´s going to have more things for us players to do than ever before.
    That's true, but expansions are invariably believed to be the times when new features come into the game - a new race, a new class, a new feature, that type of thing. I suspect you know what I mean, but are merely trying to argue because that's traditionally what fanboys do; defend their choice, come what may. And honestly, that's fine, I've been a Blizzard fanboy more than once (I'm not using it as an insult), but you've really got to try and see the opposing point of view.

Take for example Hazzikostas' comments about dungeons at BlizzCon. He'd apparently heard the players asking for more dungeons, so he announces... The least an expansion has ever launched with.

That type of thing frustrates players, and arguing that nobody should be frustrated is naught more than fanboy asininity.

Anyway, just to bring us into the debate a bit more cleanly, I've taken the time to transcribe what the interview actually said about this.

First up, from Steve Burke (Senior Game Designer):
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Where we're settling in is somewhere I think we're really happy with. If you just want to level straight up to max-level and get right to raiding, it's going to feel very similar to the way WoW did before. The story lines, however, they're going to be more punchy, be more focused and concentrated; what we've done... If you look at a zone like the Jade Forest, for example, it had a very clear story to it but it was kind of bogged down by a lot of the side tendrils... So one of the things that we've done is when you hit your map key now, you'll see icons over the map as you reveal those pieces; and that's just going to signify to you that there's something there for you to do.

There's not going to be a big wall of text giving you context or exposing some character that's just kind of talking to talk, you're going to walk into that area and right there where your quest tracker is, it's just going to reveal objectives that are really straight-forward and super contextual that just don't need all that extra text, so when we do deliver a quest to you it's really punchy and you know that it's something worth paying attention to.
    The interviewer then asks if lore-orientated players might feel slighted by that. Burke responds:
    I feel like they're going to appreciate it more, because you know we're really packing all those quests that you see... Everybody felt, I think sometimes, when we're sending you out to do just an ancillary task and we're bogging you down with "oh, here's some words just I'm saying them to say" it's not really advancing the story, it's not really moving the ball anywhere, it's just taking up kind of mental bandwidth and this way when you see a quest ping, you know that it's going to be meaningful, so I think they'll appreciate it.
    Kris Zierhut (Senior Class Designer) takes the microphone and continues with:
    It's really about the time of the quest, so they can spend more time on the story quests and less time on these incidental side stories. You're actually going to get more story in the game that's meaningful, not less, as a result of this change.
    Clearly, I've paraphrased a bit of this and tried to faithfully reproduce what's said as accurately as possible. Alas, the interview is with three guys sorely lacking in charisma, so some of it's a bit rough.

The point should be clear, though.

I think it'll be weird and sort of lazy..I don't remember the last time I've read a quest that I didn't look up on WoWhead..a lot of them are good for a few chuckles.
    Hi Sephurik

I can't remember the last time I sat there and read through quest text, and I can't imagine anyone who does that often, too.
    Check out my expansion concept, World of Warcraft: Whispers of Madness
    Brittle Bones now has a 50% chance to turn the target into a purple-wearing supervillain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post
    Elitist minority? Wow, really? How does it make people elitist? They can add all the text they want, don't matter to me, I just want the objectives. As long the main story have lore and text I'm happy, the small side stuff, I don't really bother with, I just want the exp and reward from it.
    If you don't read the text, how do you know what's "important" to you and what isn't? I don't care that much one way or the other, but it's lazy design to do this, there's no question about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    You don't go through all the Quest Text anyway, and they're removing it from non-Story Quests, side quests that are literally; "Go get my 10 Pelts because I said so".

I see no issue with this, I want to know the objectives, and get it done A.S.A.P.
    If you want everything done ASAP why the hell are you playing RPG game?

Quote Originally Posted by Facerockker View Post
    I can't remember the last time I sat there and read through quest text, and I can't imagine anyone who does that often, too.
    There are plenty of people, probably a minority, but a significant number still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    If I had the choice I'd remove text from all quests. Want some lore? Read a book.
    The books tend to be all hectic and major events, they barely have time to explore the main characters let alone the minor ones >.< Like the books involving Rhonin, we got to know all about his long flowing hair, his crooked nose and unnatural affinity to magic that allows him to survive the destruction of Grim Batol, but it didn't tell us much about anyone else. >.<

Deleted
    I love lore, I love reading, I love taking my time when I play. It is still a great idea that Blizz are doing this. Sorry if you're the type of person where this level of immersion matters that much. I'll take quality over quantity all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post
    This will give us a raid-tier.
    Keep telling yourself that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I think MMO-C should be renamed "HJTC-C" - Hyperbolic Jumping To Conclusions Champion.
    saved for sig

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    You don't go through all the Quest Text anyway, and they're removing it from non-Story Quests, side quests that are literally; "Go get my 10 Pelts because I said so".

I see no issue with this, I want to know the objectives, and get it done A.S.A.P.
    call me crazy but I always read every quest text and I enjoyed the read because it makes the world feel alive

Deleted
    Since it's Blizzard it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    "The bonus objectives no longer have any story text that go with them, just a list of objectives. Now when there is quest text, you will know that it is really worth reading"

can you please make questing even more boring as it is
    It's for bonus objectives. Your reading comprehension is pretty low dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is a far cry from times you literally had to read through a quest to figure out where/who/what you were supposed to kill/retrieve, or at least see in what area to start looking.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Can they also mark the important quests with a different coloured exclamation mark so I don't have to waste my time with the "collect 15 bear arses" rubbish. Especially when levelling.

Would be nice if those were just a type of randomly generated low-reward daily quest (kind of like the ones in Skyrim, or the bounties in D3), so you can plough through an area when levelling, and not feel you have to do everything in case you miss out on the next bit.