Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Just started D3, plz answer my noobish questions...

Hai there,

So I got D3 recently (not bought RoS yet, planning to get the most from the main game before upgrading) and so far I'm having good fun. I chose to play a Monk and after the first few levels at Normal I ramped up the difficulty to Hard and then to Expert, and haven't looked back since - Expert still seems pretty faceroll imo. I'm just wondering about my rate of levelling though: currently I'm level 43 and have just killed Ghom in Act 3. Is this the right sort of level to be at, or should I be much further ahead (I explore every corridor and kill every mob in all dungeons, so my pace might be a little slack)? How exactly does redoing the game in higher difficulties work? Do I have to redo it all, quest by quest, or just parts of it? And what is Adventure Mode?

Also loot - I maximised my Blacksmith and Jeweler to Level 10 when I was around level 35, so what do I do with the loot I pick up now? Currently I just salvage it all other than Legendaries that drop and the occasional rare item, as I find that the Blacksmith tends to make better gear. However, I now have like 800+ of the Exquisite Essences from magic items, 100+ of the Iridescent Tears from rare items, 7 Fiery Brimstones from Legendaries I've since replaced and 5 Demonic Essences. Do I really need to keep salvaging the magic items? Should I keep on salvaging all or should I just be selling it to the merchant and hoarding the gold? And what do I do now with the artisans? Will I find plans to get awesome loot for them (and where from?)

Any other advice or links to levelling guides that spell this stuff out (must be post 2.0 changes please) are appreciated. My char is below too:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/d.../hero/39697129

Deleted
    As for your leveling progress, don't worry about it, play how you want to, everything scales with your level, you cannot be "too low level" so to speak.

Adventure mode is a mode that you unlock after the full completion of the campaign, including act V from reaper of souls, it allows you to travel all over the map, complete bounties, and run special dungeons called "Nephalem rifts" which are a kind of randomly generated dungeon with random monsters, your loot chance for legendary items is highly increased inside a nephalem rift.

Salvage for your needs really, if you have enough materials, there's no harm in selling a few items for the extra cash, remember that once you get to level 61+, the materials required to craft will change, so there's not alot of point in stock piling the lower level materials as they won't be used much at end game, if you plan on picking up the expansion.

Deleted
    Cheers for that Vellerix. What about the artisans though? Now I've levelled them do they only make the stuff in their menu or are there plans or what-not that I can find in chests, etc? I've seen a few plans (Hellfire Ring) sold by merchants for what seem like exhorbitant amounts (2 million gold o_O ) but aside from that I'm a bit clueless. There seems to be significantly less guides/info on the net for D3 than WoW, in terms of simply filling you in on what the whole game is about, so apologies for what must seem daft questions.

There are plan drops you'll obtain by playing. Lot were added in RoS.

Deleted
    Yep, plenty of plans drop all over the place, you'll pick up legendary and set plans too, look out for those because they are the ones that are usually most worth crafting and saving your materials for. The hellfire ring plan is probably the most expensive one, and I believe it's the only buyable plan, that's because it's a unique item in that it requires alot of additional farming to obtain, if you're interested in how to acquire it there are plenty of guides out there.

Deleted
    Are there plenty of pre-RoS plans? So far all I've found have been plans that require Level 70 and Death's Breath (I have Pender's Purchase 3 times and some other level 70 plan too). Will I soon start to find plans for level 60 gear? And if so where? Like I say I'm just past Ghom in Act 3 on Expert and loot everything, but I haven't got any plans I can use yet. I am planning on getting RoS at some point, but would rather get the benefit out of the main game first.

if you don't have ros you can still find the 60 patterns at 60.
    if you do get ros you won't really find any of the 60 patterns.

as far as leveling goes, if you do not have ros you should be 60 before you kill diablo so the guaranteed legendary is a level 60 one.
    if you get ros you should be 70 before you kill malth so the guaranteed legendary is a level 70 one.

tbh there's not really much of a point to put off getting ros so you "would rather get the benefit out of the main game first. " as the game is pretty much exactly the same, you just get a new area and lvl 70 items vs lvl 60 ones. The game is all about killing things over and over again and getting loot. Plus rifts now drop legendaries far more than other areas and you need ros to do rifts
    Last edited by bals; 2014-04-15 at 04:19 PM.

What do you mean by getting the most of the main game before upgrading?

I wouldn't recommend waiting before upgrading. Since when you upgrade, if you stay at 60 for a while it's pretty much just wasted time because of all the better items you could of gotten at 70.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    he'll be saving himself £25 odd quid if he doesn't upgrade though....

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    That adds loads of frustration since the content and a game mode is "missing" and every item is sub-par compared to RoS - in a game that is all about items. So yeah it saves money, but doesn't offer anything that you can get out of the normal game in the long run.

Edith looked at your character and would suggest to replace the socket in the helm with a ruby for the added experience, but I wouldn't bother with sockets while leveling to be honest. Stuff is replaced way too fast.
    Last edited by banur; 2014-04-15 at 06:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Pretty much this ^^ ... I figured farm the 60 areas for a while until I get bored of them, then get RoS when I want some new content to do - by which time with any luck it'll be cheaper than it is now. I only got D3 cos WoW is boring atm and shows no sign of letting up, and with the v2.0 changes everyone was raving that D3 was much better than it had previously been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah honestly get RoS. The reason i stopped playing D3 is because of the "forced" storyline u have to follow. This new adventure mode is keeping me more occupied than ever before and if im right adventure mode is RoS only.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is not worth saving money to not have RoS. The game with all of its features is honestly how D3 should have been at launch. All playing at 60 with the vanilla game will do is rob yourself of even better experiences you could be having. Simply not having adventure mode and rifts is almost forced torture of yourself. If you want to wait until you kill Diablo to buy RoS, be my guest, but there's really no point in withholding at that point.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Darksmiter View Post
    Pretty much this ^^ ... I figured farm the 60 areas for a while until I get bored of them, then get RoS when I want some new content to do - by which time with any luck it'll be cheaper than it is now. I only got D3 cos WoW is boring atm and shows no sign of letting up, and with the v2.0 changes everyone was raving that D3 was much better than it had previously been.
    There are no level 60 areas, everything is scaled to your level. So there is absolutely no reason not to upgrade right away.

Deleted
    but areas scale to your level, there are no 60 areas. in adventure mode you will be going across all 5 acts, so your strategy will just make you sick of 4 of them. honestly, i doubt D3 will drop in price any time soon, blizz tend to keep prices steady for a long time, only dropping briefly for a weekend sale. if you genuinely think you're gonna buy it anyway, i would advise you do it sooner rather than later. enchanting helps when trying to get best in slot gear, the extra act is pretty decent, and adventure mode is a huge step forward

Deleted
    K, well ty all for your input. I guess I'll get RoS once I've hit 60 and killed Diablo to get my legendary. I have to say though Kelimbror the storyline is what I like so much about the game - it reminds me of when I first started playing WoW during WotLK and spent like 6 months getting to 80 cos I was so immersed in doing all the quests in every zone, way past the XP benefit of each zone. Wasn't too far off Loremaster pre-Cata, always a bit gutted I never persevered before they created the new world and reset the quests. But that's by-the-by really...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say though Kelimbror the storyline is what I like so much about the game
    That's not typical for this genre, but I like it to. It's not going to be a great motivator for gameplay though as this genre depends on repetitive 'grind' content just because you like the combat and getting more loot. That being said, the environment and surrounding stories in RoS is much better than all of Acts 1-4. It's very short though, so don't expect something epic.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I'm at 60 because I don't have RoS and tbh it's still kinda fun. Doing some paragon levels and leveling up other chars. You can still have a good time with the game without the exp pack. I'm getting RoS next week though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggzen View Post
    I'm at 60 because I don't have RoS and tbh it's still kinda fun. Doing some paragon levels and leveling up other chars. You can still have a good time with the game without the exp pack. I'm getting RoS next week though.
    oh i would never deny that it isn't still fun, i still played for about a week before buying RoS, the thing is i couldn't shake the feeling that all of the progress would be pointless as soon as i bought the expansion, which i already knew i was going to at some stage. however leveling alts is much easier once you buy RoS due to OP gems making you faceroll through the early levels, not to mention doing bounties.

that's the other advantage, i can do bounties on my alts, saving up blood shards and rift tokens for my main, so i never feel like time spent away from my main is really 'wasted'