Elemental Wizard Build

Hi all, this is my first written guide so any constructive feedback would be appreciated . Also I will have a video posted explaining it and showing the potential of this build later tonight perhaps. Anyways lets get started!

The Concept
    I'm sure I'm not the first person to try a build like this; however I came up with the idea that wizards, to me, are all about kiting, stutter-stepping with their spells to make runs quickly and annihilate anything they touch. The strengths of this build is the heavy AOE and large amounts of elemental damage to proc our Elemental Exposure to get us that nice 20% damage increase on every mob. Another good part about this build is that it works wonders with the Tal Rasha's set and Triumvirate to add up to a lot of eDPS. Kiting and good plays will make this build practically unstoppable but requires good coordination with stutter-stepping and dodging mechanics. The weakness I feel that this build contains is that we are practically a glass cannon, if you can pump out good toughness with this build and it works for you then great.

The Setup

• Black Hole
    Spellsteal*
    • Magic Weapon
    Electrify*
    • Familiar
    Sparkflint*
    • Energy Armor
    Pinpoint Barrier
    • Magic Missile
    Conflagerate*
    • Arcane Orb
    Frozen Orb*
    • Prodigy
    • Elemental Exposure
    • Glass Cannon
    • Conflagration

* these runes can be interchanged for different element damage types depending on how you gear is setup

How it works
    The basic idea behind this is to stack all 4 different element types we have to gain the maximum benefit from Elemental Exposure. Take into account that the element damage from your weapon will be applied to every attack. For example, if you have a weapon that has 700-1400 fire damage on it and you use frozen orb on a mob, that mob will gain a 5% damage stack from elemental exposure in the cold AND fire elements portion. The reason why I say the runes can be interchanged is because you will fill those runes with which ever element you are missing. Which ever element has the largest % damage on your gear should be filling the main dps roles on Magic Missile and Arcane Orb. I highly suggest Scorch or Frozen Orb rune for your Arcane Orb spell, those have seem to have the highest dps output.

The first thing you want to check is the element damage from your weapon, next you want to assign your Arcane Orb a different element type (frozen orb or scorch), then your Magic Missile, followed by Black Hole and finally Familiar. Once you've gotten the runes all setup its time to start gearing toward this build. You want to get the Tals set ASAP! Followed by a nice triumvirate and some bonus element damage % on items like gloves or bracers. You want to stack elements on those pieces with your main nukes (magic missile and arcane orb).

I will continue to add on to this in the future but please let me know what you think
    Last edited by Destroyed; 2014-04-17 at 05:53 AM.

does the chain lightning proc from thunderfury procs the passive??
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    you can use a pair of vanilla Zunimassa Boots for the extra 8% poison damage, a thunderfury with rerolled fire damage (massive RNG required here) and a typical frozen orb build

this will ensure the 4 stacks of exposure (zunimassa/weapon/frozen orb/TF proc, all 4 elements covered) almost instantly without DPS loss (Zunimnassa boots will make you lose some toughness but you can make up on another piece)

Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    you can use a pair of vanilla Zunimassa Boots for the extra 8% poison damage, a thunderfury with rerolled fire damage (massive RNG required here) and a typical frozen orb build

this will ensure the 4 stacks of exposure (zunimassa/weapon/frozen orb/TF proc, all 4 elements covered) almost instantly without DPS loss (Zunimnassa boots will make you lose some toughness but you can make up on another piece)
    You are lacking Arcane, unless i am missing something, since you seem to take poison instead of arcane.

Deleted
    this will ensure the 4 stacks of exposure (zunimassa/weapon/frozen orb/TF proc, all 4 elements covered)
    Elemental Exposure does not proc from poison damage. Also, the armory doesn't show that Zunimassa's Trail would have any damage in them. Just +12% speed, main stat and 4 random.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Elemental Exposure does not proc from poison damage. Also, the armory doesn't show that Zunimassa's Trail would have any damage in them. Just +12% speed, main stat and 4 random.
    He said vanilla, since those boots had +% poison dmg added to weapon dmg. But anyway since its poison, doesnt matter much.

Also to add to topic, did you consider mirrorball or did you try it, i know you lose the % dmg from Triu, but a good roll Mirror (3 bolts) with MM: Glacial Spike can help a lot with kiting and also is pretty awesome aoe dmg.

Was thinking something like this, this is with TF and Mirrorball.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...jO!WRYe!ZYcZaZ

or

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...jO!WRYe!ZaYZaZ

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    umh yeah, that's why i shouldn't start theorycraft before the coffee
    @Sydänyö: Armory shows the second version of Zunimassa

anyway, i wouldn't rely on familiar damage for exposure outside bosses (single target). Fire damage on the weapon + Frozen Orb and Electrocute as filler is probably the best option, with Black Hole - Spellsteal if you want the arcane stack but i'd use Absolute Zero over any of the others with a Frozen Orb Build

Deleted
    @Sydänyö: Armory shows the second version of Zunimassa
    Does the vanilla version still drop? Because if not, then it's a pretty marginal item to be suggesting.

The purpose of this is to gain all 4 stack so of EE and to maximize throughput on every mob while retaining momentum and nonstop running through rifts. When mobs get all these stacks they sorta just fall over.

Also I was testing around a few things today and changed a bit in the build. And to play on higher difficulties swap out pinpoint barrier with prismatic armor, it helps a ton. Was able to clear T5 rifts with minimal mistakes.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want a sick quad-elemental wizard build, go 4 piece tals 4 piece firebird 4 piece vyr's with Rorg for buffer. triumvrate + shard of hate. damage is insane.

"I would die to win, But I am born to lose."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mempha View Post
    If you want a sick quad-elemental wizard build, go 4 piece tals 4 piece firebird 4 piece vyr's with Rorg for buffer. triumvrate + shard of hate. damage is insane.
    a) The four piece bonus of Firebird's Finery drops a meteor on your ass when you die and resurrects you, with a 5 minute cooldown. Are you sure you weren't thinking of the six piece bonus, which blows up monsters killed with fire damage and sets nearby enemies on fire? The 5 minute resurrection hardly adds to damage.

b) There's no way of getting three pieces of Firebird's Finery, Vyr's Fantastic Finery and Tal Rasha's Elements on at the same time, if you're going to use Triumvirate as the offhand. See for yourself: http://pastebin.com/NdzQuQm5

Other than that it is impossible, great idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    a) The four piece bonus of Firebird's Finery drops a meteor on your ass when you die and resurrects you, with a 5 minute cooldown. Are you sure you weren't thinking of the six piece bonus, which blows up monsters killed with fire damage and sets nearby enemies on fire? The 5 minute resurrection hardly adds to damage.

b) There's no way of getting three pieces of Firebird's Finery, Vyr's Fantastic Finery and Tal Rasha's Elements on at the same time, if you're going to use Triumvirate as the offhand. See for yourself: http://pastebin.com/NdzQuQm5

Other than that it is impossible, great idea.
    completely my bad, brain fart i meant 2 piece firebird.

"I would die to win, But I am born to lose."