Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Arrakoa is based off ancient Indian/ Hindu civ

Go dammit blizzard, make it playable. I want a toon with an awesome accent and awesomer customabilty and the awesomely civ ever existed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally misread that as "Awesome accent and awesome customer service."
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I would really love any variant of them (we'd likely get corrupted arakkoa since they're a part of "our time") as a playable race. I really love their style and it would be incredibly easy for blizzard to put them into either faction, likely leaning towards Alliance due to their present-day turning to the light and the naaru.

An indian/hindu race of extremely intelligent bird men with awesome architecture? YES, PLEASE. I need an Alliance race that I actually like playing.

Is this because of what Ghostcrawler was saying about Ancient Indian philosophy? xD Which was itself a follow up tweet about MMO-C Forumers jumping to really bad conclusions; like really, really wrong conclusions with very little trace of logic to them?

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Totally misread that as "Awesome accent and awesome customer service."
    wow, so I wasn't the only one

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    Is this because of what Ghostcrawler was saying about Ancient Indian philosophy? xD Which was itself a follow up tweet about MMO-C Forumers jumping to really bad conclusions; like really, really wrong conclusions with very little trace of logic to them?
    Its because of their names:

Ranjit, Master of the Four Winds - The Arakkoa's penultimate Chakradhaari, Ranjit has mastered the secret techniques required to create gale force winds with his chakra.
    Araknath - A construct of ancient Arakkoan civilization powered by the light of the sun.
    Rukhsha
    High Justicar Vidiya

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    wow, so I wasn't the only one
    nope, i did too xD

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly would have related them to more middle eastern, muslim culture. Think the whole Hindu/Indian culture could be used in a more cool way, that isn't crazy bird people trying to summon gods of mass destruction. Maybe another skinny, multi armed blue race people from another world.

What is their obsession with the 'Four Winds'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    What is their obsession with the 'Four Winds'.
    The Greeks were also pretty fond of it at times.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    nope, i did too xD

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly would have related them to more middle eastern, muslim culture. Think the whole Hindu/Indian culture could be used in a more cool way, that isn't crazy bird people trying to summon gods of mass destruction. Maybe another skinny, multi armed blue race people from another world.
    Isn't Hindu-ish stuff already implied slightly with the Draenei?

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Go dammit blizzard, make it playable. I want a toon with an awesome accent and awesomer customabilty and the awesomely civ ever existed.
    Had enough trouble dealing with Telstra outside the game, now they're inside the game too?
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Isn't Hindu-ish stuff already implied slightly with the Draenei?
    And where did the draenei live for a while? Perhaps there was a culture exchange at some point in their histories.

"Rukhsha" is just a simpler version of "rukhshan" - Persian named derived from "rukh" where we get the words "roc" and the name "Roxanne". Otherwise, thing are Indian. I was hoping they'd save the whole Indian theme for Shivarra someday. Suits them better, and the Arakkoa could have been much more Persian and Babylonian.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

As someone who actually lives in India, I can't take the name Ranjit seriously without thinking of How I Met Your Mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    As someone who actually lives in India, I can't take the name Ranjit seriously without thinking of How I Met Your Mother.
    Yeah, it's going to be weird to call out names and words that are based in Hindi/Sanskrit while in raids (if there's an Arakkoa raid, which I hope is the case at some point during Warlords). Chakradhaari for example straight up means "wielder of the chakra". Looking forward to it.
    4/12/292277026596 15:30:08

Basically a mix of hindi and persian. (Avestan)
    People mentioned that the alpha screenshots reminded them of Sunwell Plateau and Silvermoon - so im guessing their architecture will also be similar.

Lol Ranjit as a raid boss name is pure gold and funny. It's kind of a very common name in India.

And Vidiya sounds like Vidya which I'm pretty sure means Education in Hindi.

Quote Originally Posted by darklift View Post
    And Vidiya sounds like Vidya which I'm pretty sure means Education in Hindi.
    Yes it does, and it's a common name for girls as well.
    4/12/292277026596 15:30:08

arrakoa is an a inspiration/rip-off from the bird people in the movie dark crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by hellboyy View Post
    arrakoa is an a inspiration/rip-off from the bird people in the movie dark crystal.
    The original versions were a reference to the Skeksis in that movie. Hence the name of their city in TBC, Skettis. There's also a strong possibility they were also based just as much on the Aarakocra from Dungeons and Dragons - also mountain-dwelling bird people.

The movie reference will be lost on the new versions in WoD, however - they'll have straight backs and functioning wings, and have a lot of sun motifs.