Page 1 of 2
LastLast

4-21-14 WoW Source

The new WoW Source is up!

One really interesting piece of information-
    -There will be separate level 100 Alpha Realms for max-level content like raids, dungeons, and Ashran right away! So max level can be tested and balanced right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USRLzaxHhGI

In the video they're showing off Ashran footage and maps!

And Blackrock Foundry!

Last edited by Dhomeli; 2014-04-22 at 04:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well considering that the end-game stuff usually gets tested last, that's a pretty smart idea.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

They will test PvP and Raids as early as they can and use new tech for that. PvP Beta Realm with level 100 premades and only PvP Content available. For Raids they will release them when ready to test a boss and pushing the player level to 100 when entering the raid.

so everything is being tested at once? well almost everything
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    so everything is being tested at once? well almost everything
    Sounds like because they decided to redesign the two early zones that they have a lot of max-level content still ready to test.

Really wondering where these "alpha servers" are that Ion references in the first minute...

Quote Originally Posted by brothernads View Post
    Really wondering where these "alpha servers" are that Ion references in the first minute...
    It could be that they planned to release this video the day that they actually send out invites (meaning that today alpha invites will go out), or it could be that this video was recorded a couple weeks ago when they put the first patch on the servers and posted the first patch notes.

Servers involved in alpha testing that has nothing to do with internal testing.

Could mean anything not necessarily what you want it to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhomeli View Post
    It could be that they planned to release this video the day that they actually send out invites (meaning that today alpha invites will go out), or it could be that this video was recorded a couple weeks ago when they put the first patch on the servers and posted the first patch notes.
    Something tells me it's the latter, but one can hope

Quote Originally Posted by Dhomeli View Post
    Sounds like because they decided to redesign the two early zones that they have a lot of max-level content still ready to test.
    really? i didnt know that.

Something tells me it's the latter, but one can hope
    Ion's full answer (00:42-00:58):

"Exciting couple of days, exciting couple of weeks ahead..I think as we speak our alpha servers are coming up and we're getting ready to kinda share what we've been working on with the world, and that's really just an exciting time. You know, since Blizzcon we've really been hard at work just polishing what we have and just can't wait to show it off to everybody."

It seems weird (at least to me) to say the above and actually be referring to some internal alpha server or some part of the process that does not involve external testing. I really enjoy the eye roll and smirk that Holinka and Zierhut give when Ion mentions the alpha servers...like they know about the issues with actually getting them started back on April 3 when Blizzard made the big announcement.

EDIT: actually that eye roll is really interesting...like "oh god, he mentioned the alpha servers, what a nightmare"!

Sooooo, they're a lot further along with testing than usual, and they have it planned out much better than in the past.

Signs are looking promising.

Kris Zierhut tells us "We really excited about getting the patch notes out which are going out now ... you guys have (?) seen this a few days later ..."

So possibly filmed between the alpha client appearing on the CDN servers and the official alpha path notes being published.

To me, the best news was that they'll test endgame near immediately. To go along with the standard leveling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    To me, the best news was that they'll test endgame near immediately. To go along with the standard leveling system.
    Definitely. I was thinking we wouldn't see Ashran or raid testing until months from now when all the zone testing was done. It's great to hear it could be much sooner.

LOL - the "oh crap, Ion mentioned alpha" eye roll is priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    probably be more balanced when it hits live. though it probably wont be. lol

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they're so ahead in development that they're testing max level content from the start, then why on earth is the expac delayed till possibly Dec 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    If they're so ahead in development that they're testing max level content from the start, then why on earth is the expac delayed till possibly Dec 2014?
    Maybe they want to time it around Blizzcon 2014?

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/blizzcon...ts-10559318205

Basically what it means is it explains the Alpha launch delay much better. Everyone, including me, was assuming they'd be rushing around trying to squeeze the testing in, I thought they'd be doing poor quality internal testing to replace it to just launch in time. Testing endgame pvp and raids and the balancing that involves at the same time as leveling is tested as normal easily cuts a month or 2 off the time public testing will take.